dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« not fixed
This is a sub-selection from Just shows...

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to chgo_man99

MVM

to chgo_man99

Re: Just shows...

said by chgo_man99:

And since U-verse is mostly for customers, not business this might be also true as well that they don't consider it to be a critical application.

I have 3 clients on "business-class AT&T DSL" (oxymoron I know) that have been effected by this outage. Luckily for them, the unplug and wait 10 minutes trick has been getting the connection back up for a few hours at a time. But all 3 offices were still having trouble this morning.
ChampMom
join:2013-01-24
Goldsboro, NC

ChampMom

DSL and U-verse are NOT the same thing, not even close. So I can assure you that your "business-class DSL" clients were NOT effected by the U-verse outage

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by ChampMom:

DSL and U-verse are NOT the same thing, not even close. So I can assure you that your "business-class DSL" clients were NOT effected by the U-verse outage

Different lines at the customer end, but around here they both use the same DHCP servers. And that is where the issue seems to be in this area.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to ChampMom

to ChampMom
said by ChampMom:

Here in San Francisco, AT&T has simply re-branded their old ADSL as the new and improved "U-verse internet."

True U-verse, with fiber to remote terminals, is only available in a very small section of the City, due to complaints over the refrigerator size cabinet placement on neighborhood sidewalks.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I thought that they are getting rid of their old ADSL network (ATM-based) and moving people over to the new ADSL+ network that's branded as uVerse (IP-based).

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to ChampMom

Premium Member

to ChampMom
said by ChampMom:

+1

I would like to know exactly how a PPPoE ADSL service on completely different equipment ( ATM based) how on earth a uverse Internet outage (IP based service) affected them.

That is like trying to convince an apple it's an orange. Sorry the apple will still be an apple.

I am all for trying to understand, but what you state is practically impossible since that network is ATM based from you to the ISP connect point. Every Uverse Internet customer is security certificate based DHCP.
David

David to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
They are... it hit Granite City, IL earlier last year.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

I thought that they are getting rid of their old ADSL network (ATM-based) and moving people over to the new ADSL+ network that's branded as uVerse (IP-based).

That initially was the stated plan, however, the AT&T CEO is on record as saying U-verse expansion is dead.

My point was to expose AT&T's attempt to razzle-dazzle some current ADSL customers into thinking they have U-verse when it simply is a re-branded name change of the old product. (Of course, those would be the unknowledgeable masses who don't read DSLreports.com )

Since San Francisco is one of the larger remaining cities without significant U-verse, it remains to be seen if they actually perform the installations, even though they have won the right, through the Courts, to install the neighborhood remote terminals.

Much of the City has underground utilities, which will be expensive to install fiber, so they might choose instead to focus on improving wireless for a better return on investment.

Of course, that leaves San Francisco ripe for picking by our little Bay area ISP gem, Sonic.net
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

psx_defector to David

to David
said by David:

said by ChampMom:

+1

I would like to know exactly how a PPPoE ADSL service on completely different equipment ( ATM based) how on earth a uverse Internet outage (IP based service) affected them.

AFAIK, the only way to have that happen would be to have AT&T move the three leftover DHCP customer's in old SWBell territory from the DHCP server on the concentrator to the generic one in the Lightspeed network. And, AFAIK, the PPPoE handoff from the concentrator is from the actual concentrator, no DHCP involved.
And, if I'm not mistaken, the IP ranges are very different, so you would know if you were on the Lightspeed network versus the ATM network.

But, as you stated, the DHCP server in Lightspeed uses certificate based DHCP, so even if one were to be PPPoE or DHCP in SWBell territory using ATM based DSL, you wouldn't have the certificate to receive the IP address because the equipment is set to passthrough to the user, not the device.

So, in other words, we got some grade A derp goin' on.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to ChampMom

MVM

to ChampMom
said by ChampMom:

I really didn't mean to start a U-Verse vs DSL tech debate, so let me rephrase my comment:

At the exact same time as the U-verse outage, and for the exact same duration, 3 of my clients, all of whom have "business-class AT&T DSL" service at their offices, not U-Verse, experienced the same type of trouble that was being reported by U-Verse customers.

npln
Us Army
join:2000-07-17
Martinez, CA

npln to Tobester

to Tobester
Actually you are somewhat right, ATT didn't rebrand the "old". What AT&T has done is installed New DSLAMS in the C.O. That are running on the UVerse network. Thus getting away with calling it UVerse, when in reality its nothing! I wouldn't even call it DSL 2.0. It still all copper from source to destination, distance issues do apply. Only thing it has done is to lighten the ATM network traffic. We call it "fake" UVerse, since true UVerse its supposed to be FTTN or FTTP. Both do exist in SF just very scarcely. Oh and FTTP will more than likely only been seen deploy in the south of Market area.

By the way last i checked ATT got the green light from SF city hall to install 700 VRADS, yup the frige is going up.
« not fixed
This is a sub-selection from Just shows...