uniqs

Poorfellow
join:2008-03-16
Taco Town

Poorfellow to CylonRed

to CylonRed

Re: [Rant] Do not go for vacation to Hong Kong

said by CylonRed:

I think you idea that they should know English well, is really not very reasonable...

I know a pastry chef who does culinary tours of other countries like Italy. He does visit major tourist cities and he goes off the beaten path. You can learn how to make fresh pasta from 85 year old grandmothers who do not know a LICK of English but are in major tourist cities.

In Europe - there is no rule to know different languages in tourist areas. English is know just because most business is done in English with the US being the largest economy for many decades. Many folks in Europe know more than one language because there are many countries that are so close together. Europeans know more than one language because of the close proximity of other languages.

The majority of educated people in Hong Kong do speak English, as it was (and in many cases still is) required in schools. It was a crown colony for over a hundred years following the Treaty of Nanking (with a brief remand to the Japanese during WWII).

I noted your earlier comment, which indicates you're fairly ignorant of Hong Kong's history, so hopefully you'll find the above information useful.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

chgo_man99 to I AM

to I AM
"Hrrm...Didn't you know China is like knockoff nation of the world?"

I knew, I just expected Hong Kong as SAR to be a little different.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to chgo_man99

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

At my hometown where I grew up, there is a castle that attracts some tourists and to my knowledge a receptionist at a local hotel there must know 3 foreign languages (one of them English) to get hired. And this is in a small town.

does the castle get millions of visitors a year like HK? how certain are you that the receptionist was REQUIRED to learn 3 languages or he / she just learned it by herself that's why he / she got hired?

comparing your castle's receptionist skill to speak different languages vs. HK people is not an apples to apples comparison....

my boss who's also Polish American isn't like you though...he understands that when in Rome, act and speak like a Roman! not a jerk!

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
said by chgo_man99:

Another reason not to see HK - disappointing shopping.

Hrrm...Didn't you know China is like knockoff nation of the world?
chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

In Europe - there is no rule to know different languages in tourist areas. English is know just because most business is done in English with the US being the largest economy for many decades. Many folks in Europe know more than one language because there are many countries that are so close together. Europeans know more than one language because of the close proximity of other languages.

At my hometown where I grew up, there is a castle that attracts some tourists and to my knowledge a receptionist at a local hotel there must know 3 foreign languages (one of them English) to get hired. And this is in a small town.
chgo_man99

2 edits

chgo_man99 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Another reason not to see HK - disappointing shopping.

I ran into annoying shops scamming money from tourists in major tourist area in Tsim Sha Tsui along Nathan Rd. Those shops operate just like any other normal shops and look legitimate. Also I could not move a block or two without getting harassed by Indians offering me to make me suits in one day "without fitting".
I did not bother to look at on-street little shops in Stanley Market or Ladies Market in Mongkok, but I did found out in Internet that what those little shops charge for any garbage there, you'll get for just about less than 1/3 of price in Mongkok without bargaining for price.

This honestly makes Best Buy's pricey retail look saint lol. I would even go as far to say as US car dealership is more "honest" than retail sale of electronics in Hong Kong. At least here there is more transparency in price and value of products you buy.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed to chgo_man99

MVM

to chgo_man99
I think you idea that they should know English well, is really not very reasonable...

I know a pastry chef who does culinary tours of other countries like Italy. He does visit major tourist cities and he goes off the beaten path. You can learn how to make fresh pasta from 85 year old grandmothers who do not know a LICK of English but are in major tourist cities.

chgo_man99
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to I AM

to I AM
After visiting China, I'm more proud to be American (well Polish American), we may have a lot of issues but we have some of the best foundations that made our country great!

As for English, many places in tourist industry require knowledge of foreign language, sometimes not just English especially in Europe. So yeah it's reasonable to expect it.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99
You can say all the stuff about America (not directed at OP) but truth is we still have some of the best cities in the world. We take a lot of the stuff we have for granted. Just clean water to drink from the tap is overlooked.