Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Sneaky school year planning in ON

I just hear (via an email from the Science Centre) that Feb 15th is a PA day. The Monday the 18th is Family day, giving a 4 day weekend.

It is nice for the teachers, of course, but an extra pain for those that do not have the day off.

Only the Monday affects me and I have it off anyway.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by donoreo:

I just hear (via an email from the Science Centre) that Feb 15th is a PA day. The Monday the 18th is Family day, giving a 4 day weekend.

It is nice for the teachers, of course, but an extra pain for those that do not have the day off.

Only the Monday affects me and I have it off anyway.

Toronto only? It's the TSB, not Ontario.

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
Could be. I thought they were a little more in sync.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
said by donoreo:

Basic Holidays are determined by the Province, although an individual school board can still modify them if they get approval from the Minister:

»www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/li···aye.html

PA Days are at the sole discretion of the School Board, however.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I wish they were, but it looks like they might be separated by 6 rotating weeks or so. Every board seems to have different days.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to donoreo
February 8 is parent-teacher interviews so my kids will be home. They were also home this past Monday due to a PD day.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by mr weather:

February 8 is parent-teacher interviews so my kids will be home. They were also home this past Monday due to a PD day.

they do interviews all day?

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
For at least half the day. Don't know about the rest of the day.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28
reply to donoreo
The union says they have to have the morning off since they stay late that night. Basically they are just moving the work day till noon.

My wife has done some interviews at 10am, and some at 8pm.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

That was pretty much SOP when I was a kid. PD Day attached to every long weekend. The other board before they merged used to put all their PD Days in March, making March Break two weeks for kids rather than one.

Either way, the kids are the ones who get a four day weekend or a two week March break, not the teachers. Not that anyone here cares.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

That was pretty much SOP when I was a kid. PD Day attached to every long weekend. The other board before they merged used to put all their PD Days in March, making March Break two weeks for kids rather than one.

Either way, the kids are the ones who get a four day weekend or a two week March break, not the teachers. Not that anyone here cares.

That is true, the teachers are supposed to be working. Still ,great for the kids!
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Oh for sure. I remember they used to attach two or three PD Days onto Christmas Break and onto the end of the school year so that school ended up a Tuesday or early (at like noon) on a Wednesday. You then would get the remaining days of the week off plus the two weeks for Christmas. School would end in the middle of the week (for us anyway) too.

To be a kid again, haha.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by Gone:

Oh for sure. I remember they used to attach two or three PD Days onto Christmas Break and onto the end of the school year so that school ended up a Tuesday or early (at like noon) on a Wednesday. You then would get the remaining days of the week off plus the two weeks for Christmas. School would end in the middle of the week (for us anyway) too.

To be a kid again, haha.

They usually added one or two on for Christmas for us too. Never for March break or any long weekend that I recall.
--