spc
uniqs
peg645
join:2012-07-31
Cherry Valley, NY

peg645 to travelingone

to travelingone

Re: Moving...hughesnet for business

Have you looked into Exede? (used to be Wild Blue). Been a Hughesnet customer for years. Held off signing up for the Gen4 to see others' experience, and so glad I didn't as it would have required another 2 year contract. Just starting my own business this month and Hughesnet's being almost non-existent for most weekdays past 10:30AM has finally forced me to look elsewhere. Can't even work here on my webpage, have to do it at Panera Bread. I don't do alot. Just want a web page to load! Get my mail, which is crucial to receive timely. Very lucky for me, the local Exede installer and office is a local electric co-op, so very small and responsive.

Hughesnet constantly suggesting it's my machine, my local settings. Nope. Runs fine when there's no traffic pile up. Have had discussions with them for 2 weeks. Yesterday their free home visit ("to check my settings") didn't show up and they want me to wait another week. And Hughesnet will only go by the speed tests they provide. As I'm typing this right now, mine are "looking good", but I can't download a blank Google page in less than a minute, and my account page on Hughesnet won't download at all. You can only guess the numbers of those who are trying to log in to get some assistance.

Sorry I can't help you with the software questions. Hope you can try Exede. I love my country home, but almost find myself staying in the room when traveling being once again entranced by high internet speeds at hotel! LOL

Exede coming Monday, and I may throw a party.

Good luck!
travelingone
join:2003-06-20
Leander, TX

travelingone

Thanks.
The "marketed" speed for Hughes is "up to" 15mbps down and 2mbps up. Think Exede says "up to" 12mbps down and 3 mbps up - »www.directexede.com/exed ··· odI0cARw
I like the unmetered part, as we stay up late at times and would be useful to have. Just wish there was a way to test out the services before being hooked into a contract.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I wouldn't compare marketed speeds as a factor. Assuming both actually reached their max, the difference would be negligible. However most people have a tough time getting Hughes' marketed speeds on Gen4. Exede seems to often times exceed their rated 12Mbps.

Neither are going to compare to Time Warner in terms of latency and both have their hiccups.
travelingone
Leander, TX

travelingone

Thanks. So in terms of latency are you saying web pages would load say 3 seconds longer or so? I could live with that.
Elkhorn
join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

Elkhorn

Traveling - you may find that your internet phone or VOIP will be kinda iffy on satellite internet (has to do with the variable latency of your connection). You'll be able to hear voice IN ok, but your voice OUT may be a little garbled......
You'll just have to give it a try and see how it works for you......
travelingone
Leander, TX

travelingone

Thanks.
There is some type of tower in the distance with a blinking light. Need to find out if a cell tower and who that is....