uniqs
share rss forum feed

travelingone

join:2003-06-20
Leander, TX
reply to peg645

Re: Moving...hughesnet for business

Thanks.
The "marketed" speed for Hughes is "up to" 15mbps down and 2mbps up. Think Exede says "up to" 12mbps down and 3 mbps up - »www.directexede.com/exede/?gclid···odI0cARw
I like the unmetered part, as we stay up late at times and would be useful to have. Just wish there was a way to test out the services before being hooked into a contract.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

I wouldn't compare marketed speeds as a factor. Assuming both actually reached their max, the difference would be negligible. However most people have a tough time getting Hughes' marketed speeds on Gen4. Exede seems to often times exceed their rated 12Mbps.

Neither are going to compare to Time Warner in terms of latency and both have their hiccups.

travelingone

Leander, TX

Thanks. So in terms of latency are you saying web pages would load say 3 seconds longer or so? I could live with that.

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

Traveling - you may find that your internet phone or VOIP will be kinda iffy on satellite internet (has to do with the variable latency of your connection). You'll be able to hear voice IN ok, but your voice OUT may be a little garbled......
You'll just have to give it a try and see how it works for you......
--
HT1000, Gen4, Power PLUS, Beam 10, Windows 7

travelingone

Leander, TX

Thanks.
There is some type of tower in the distance with a blinking light. Need to find out if a cell tower and who that is....