Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CanadianGuy

join:2012-05-28
Nepean, ON
reply to CanadianGuy

Re: Obi202 and blocking a number from being dialed

There is an old alarm system in the house but I am not paying for any service (was in the house when i moved in). Ever since I moved to VOIP the lights on it went from normal to trouble.

edit: the number is a canadian local number

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1

2 edits
Another thing that could cause this is a satellite receiver that's connected to the phone line, but I guess you'd know if you had one of those.

The two easiest ways to stop this are:

1. Disconnect the power to the alarm control box. That should be as simple as pulling a plug. All the lights on the box should go out. And why would you want to pay for electricity to power the box if it's doing nothing useful?

2. There should be a phone jack near the alarm control box that uses an 8-pin connector, similar to a network cable but usually the cable itself is flat rather than round. Disconnect the 8-pin plug from that jack. In the U.S. we call this a RJ31X jack; in Canada it has the designation CA38A but serves the same purpose.

Also the reason the "trouble" light came on was probably because you simply connected your Obihai device to the existing phone wiring (I really hope you disconnected it from the phone company's line out at your network interface box first!!!) and while that's fine for the phones in your home, it's not the correct hookup for an alarm. So just pull the power from the alarm, unplug the plug that goes from the alarm to the 8-pin jack (unplug both ends if you can), and all should be fine, plus you'll save a few pennies on your electric bill.

And to answer your question, yes it is possible to block outgoing calls to a particular number in the Obihai but it involves some manual configuration that you may not need to do if you only want to solve this issue.

(Edited to correct the jack designation)

CanadianGuy

join:2012-05-28
Nepean, ON
said by WhyADuck :
Also the reason the "trouble" light came on was probably because you simply connected your Obihai device to the existing phone wiring (I really hope you disconnected it from the phone company's line out at your network interface box first!!!) and while that's fine for the phones in your home, it's not the correct hookup for an alarm. So just pull the power from the alarm, unplug the plug that goes from the alarm to the 8-pin jack (unplug both ends if you can), and all should be fine, plus you'll save a few pennies on your electric bill.

I did just connect the Obi202 to the existing phone wiring but no I did not do anything at the network interface box (not sure which that is). I Haven't had a POTS line in years. Before I got voip.ms and an Obi202 I was using Rogers Home Phone. Is this going to cause harm?

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
said by CanadianGuy:

I did just connect the Obi202 to the existing phone wiring but no I did not do anything at the network interface box (not sure which that is). I Haven't had a POTS line in years. Before I got voip.ms and an Obi202 I was using Rogers Home Phone. Is this going to cause harm?

I'm surprised it hasn't done so already. Connecting the output of a VoIP adapter to a telephone line that is still connected to the phone company's wiring is a HUGE no-no - the potential is there for many bad things to happen, from permanently damaging your VoIP adapter to (in an extreme case) causing a fire. You are VERY lucky if your equipment has not been damaged so far, but I wouldn't count on that luck to hold forever.

If you are reasonably intelligent it is very easy to disconnect your inside wiring from the phone company's - see »mi-telecom.org/distribute.html for details on what to do (that page will also show you how to correctly wire in the alarm system, should you ever choose to reactivate it).

(Note what I've said above does not apply if the telephone company's line is connected to the LINE port of an adapter that includes one, such as an Obihai OBi110. But the line from the phone company can only be connected safely to the LINE port of such a device — NEVER connect it to the PHONE port).