uniqs

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Screen saver photos, photo gallery?

On the modern UI (aka metro) start screen what happens if you right-click on the Photo Gallery tile then select Open file location? It should show you where the program or program shortcut is located. You can (or should be able to) right click then look at Properties to see the path to the file. Once you find that you can create a shortcut on your desktop.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That brings up the icons at the bottom and if I choose the icon "open location" then is shows me the shortcut for it on Startup menu where I think it won't stay unless I use it regularly. I right clicked on the shortcut and was given the option to pin it to the Start8 menu. That way it won't disappear if I don't use it for awhile.

I was also able to click on "Open File Location" from right click on the shortcut on Start8 menu. Now I see why I couldn't find it. Even with your screenshot, I still didn't realize it would not be listed as Photo Gallery in Program Files in Explorer. Now I see it is listed under "Windows Live" so when I was looking in Program Files, no wonder I didn't see it. I was looking for "Photo Gallery" or "Windows Essentials".

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I was also able to click on "Open File Location" from right click on the shortcut on Start8 menu. Now I see why I couldn't find it. Even with your screenshot, I still didn't realize it would not be listed as Photo Gallery in Program Files in Explorer. Now I see it is listed under "Windows Live" so when I was looking in Program Files, no wonder I didn't see it. I was looking for "Photo Gallery" or "Windows Essentials".

Correct. In my case, "Windows Essentials 2012" was installed to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\"

The actual EXE name for "Photo Gallery" is "WLXPhotoGallery.exe" and is located at

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery"

By the way, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but in my testing of this in my previous post, I DID NOT click on either icon created (Photo Gallery or Movie Maker). I did so now (after my testing), and I get some kind of Service Agreement that I would have to "accept" before using the product. What's interesting is that the screen saver part appears to "work" even though I have yet to accept (or decline) the Service Agreement.

Again, not sure if that matters or not, but I did want to point that out.

--Brian