Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to iLearn

Re: Square Users?

I question why anyone would be crazy enough to just hand over their credit card to a person who will be entering that information onto a personal device such as a phone.

Seems like a great way to scam credit card numbers.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada
quote:
I question why anyone would be crazy enough to just hand over their credit card to a person who will be entering that information onto a personal device such as a phone.

Seems like a great way to scam credit card numbers.
Robrr, That is not true. A lot of small business owner use these card users, especially vendors/small independent contractors who travel a lot and need to process payments on-site. I have seen many small businesses at malls who use this type of payment processing.

No credit card #s are stored on your smart phone. Have you ever made a payment over the phone to anyone? Is that more secure?

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
said by iLearn:

Robrr, That is not true. A lot of small business owner use these card users, especially vendors/small independent contractors who travel a lot and need to process payments on-site. I have seen many small businesses at malls who use this type of payment processing.

No credit card #s are stored on your smart phone. Have you ever made a payment over the phone to anyone? Is that more secure?

I have been to trade shows and such where I have seen Square in action. My first thought the first time I saw it was that it was very cool idea. A little later when I was watching the person at the till run their credit card through the reader, the security side of me said that looked like a great way to capture cards on a personal device.

A quick Google search has also turned up there is/was a way to capture the credit card swipe data »mashable.com/2011/08/05/square-security/

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
When one thinks about it, using something like this that has the ability to record credit card info is really no different than in the old days where a merchant ran your card through the imprint machine, had you sign the slip and then they kept a copy for themselves. And yes - imprint machines are still a valid way to do credit card transactions, and we keep one here in the store in case our terminal happens to go down for whatever reason.

Remember - being able to capture the data isn't an issue, it's what gets done with the data that is.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada
reply to Robrr
quote:
I have been to trade shows and such where I have seen Square in action. My first thought the first time I saw it was that it was very cool idea. A little later when I was watching the person at the till run their credit card through the reader, the security side of me said that looked like a great way to capture cards on a personal device.

A quick Google search has also turned up there is/was a way to capture the credit card swipe data »mashable.com/2011/08/05/square-security/

You know what - anything is possible in today's world. I guess it also depends on who you are dealing with when making a payment. If you feel comfortable with a particular vendor, go ahead and let them use this reader else you have other payment options as well.

Again, we make payments over the phone (at least i do) and trust the other person handling our credit card info. I consider that to be more 'unsecured' than this iPhone card reader. - just my opinion.
My neighborhood gym owner has my credit card info. on file. I trust them - nothing bad has happened yet....

None of my customers (thus far) had any security concerns, I guess it does have to do with how much your customers trust in you and your company.

Lots of variables.

Thanks