urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Actively sharing newest iTunes music folder, multiple users

A friend of mine provides residential support to PC users but recently encountered a home network of Mac / PC users that want to actively share their iTunes music folder in their house.

Apparently they simply shared the folder on one guy's always-on PC and everything was fine for a few years until a bunch of them upgraded to the new iTunes and since then, things have been awry.

So my buddy upgraded them all, PC and Mac, to the latest iTunes and he said the experience isn't consistent, basically he changes the default folder on all systems and none of them have the music or one of them has the music but can't play the files.

Anyone know the solution to this request?

According to my buddy he said it's setup as described here but it's not working as suggested - »arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/ho···o-a-nas/

Thanks in advance!

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
well, this isn't the answer you're looking for, but you can share music libraries over the network. The always-on guy just has to have iTunes always running and then everyone can access the shared library through their own copy of iTunes
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to urbanriot
How much of a Mac does it take to run an iTunes server? In otherwords could an aging old Mac Mini even if its an ancient G4 unit simply be used to serve the files by having iTunes open with the libraries mapped to the NAS?

Seems like a good idea if one can scavenge a cheap mini off something like craigs list. minimal power usage for a simple task and one could stick it right with the NAS. I am sure there would be a way to setup itunes to startup as an initial service with OSX without having to login.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I talked to my buddy today and he said he went to Home Sharing since it made the most sense and the client's kind of happy but kind of not happy at the same time...

You know when you have people doing something that works great for years and then suddenly it doesn't work anymore? You want someone to fix it... unfortunately in this case, Apple broke it so he can't fix it.

Well that and the client's unhappy about the 5 system limit. I told my buddy to tell the client to get an iPod to play music since it's not hindered by the 5 system limit.

Case closed I suppose!