share rss forum feed

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to SCADAGeo

Re: [T-Mobile] PAYG and PBTD prepaid plans for backup purposes

said by SCADAGeo:

said by bobjohnson:

Once you're gold status, every topup extends your service for a year from the day you add it. And BTW, you can get to gold $10 at a time.

Once Gold Rewards Status has been achieved, there is a 15% bonus for refills of $50 or less, and service is extended for 1 year (365 days).

I don't know if this has changed within the last few years, but the cost per minute charged against the pre-paid account balance is based upon the refill amount.

In other words, $10 will extend service for 365 days, but calls are now $0.33/min.

That sounds uber confusing. If you refill 100$, then, when 50$ and 100 days are still remaining on your acount, you refill 10$, does your rate suddenly jump from 0,10 to 0,33?

Again, the more you learn about these plans, the more confused you get! Really, how difficult would it have been to systematically write down all these rules right in the fine print?

teetotaler

join:2009-10-01
Brooklyn, NY

This is how I think it will play out, your T-Mobile balance is displayed in $Amt and also Minutes.

The $100 you add will give you 1000min

$50 will give you 400min @$0.13/min + 15% bonus = 460min

$10 will give you 30 @$0.33/min + 15% bonus = 35min

So, your account balance should show 1495min. Now, I'm not sure which minutes get used first!

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to teetotaler

said by teetotaler:

I was under the impression once you hit the Gold Rewards status all calls will be $0.10/min regardless of recharge! Glad to have that clarified, is this something T-Mobile changes in the past year or so?

The only time I have recharged with less than $100 was in 2009, when I had 1800+ minutes and refilled with $50 to extend service for another 365 days.

Things may have changed since then, so I don't know if this is still true...

said by teetotaler:

Also, does anyone know since a Gold Rewards SIM won't expire for a full year, let's say I use one just for emergencies and keep it off all year long, then just turn it on before the next $10 recharge after 12mos will it still work fine?

Yes, service is good for 365 days (no extra day during a leap year), whether it's used or not.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to ConstantineM

said by ConstantineM:

That sounds uber confusing. If you refill 100$, then, when 50$ and 100 days are still remaining on your acount, you refill 10$, does your rate suddenly jump from 0,10 to 0,33?

It did for me, back in 2009, on the PAYG minutes plan.

A $50 refill changed my rate to $0.13/min (additional 365 days of service).

said by ConstantineM:

Again, the more you learn about these plans, the more confused you get!

It used to be more confusing 10 years ago, when the account balance was in minutes and T-Mobile (not US) dollars.

A $100 US dollar refill would yield a credit of 1000 minutes/$500 _T-Mobile_ dollars to your account.

A voice call would subtract a minute and $0.10 _T-Mobile_ dollars from your account for each minute of the call.

In network text messages were free to send.

Receiving text messages were free.

All other services (out of network text messages, MMS, ringtones, etc) were charged in T-Mobile (not US) dollars, but that was never pointed out on their web page.

So... if someone talked 1000 minutes, they could have 0 minutes left on their account _and_ $400 T-Mobile dollars.

said by ConstantineM:

Really, how difficult would it have been to systematically write down all these rules right in the fine print?

Unless things have changed in the last few years, on the PAYG minutes plan, once Gold Reward Status has been achieved, _any refill amount_ will extend service for 365 days, _but_ the cost per minute charged against your account is based upon the last refill amount.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to teetotaler

said by teetotaler:

This is how I think it will play out, your T-Mobile balance is displayed in $Amt and also Minutes.

The $100 you add will give you 1000min

$50 will give you 400min @$0.13/min + 15% bonus = 460min

$10 will give you 30 @$0.33/min + 15% bonus = 35min

So, your account balance should show 1495min. Now, I'm not sure which minutes get used first!

Unless it has changed within the last few years, it's easier to think about it like this:

The initial $100 will achieve Gold Reward Status, and calls are $0.10/min for the next 365 days, or until the balance reaches $0, which ever comes first.

365 days later, adding $50 would result in a $57.50 credit to the account.

The account balance is now $157.50, and calls are $0.13/min for the next 365 days, or until the balance reaches $0, which ever comes first.

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

But that's not how it works; with 365 days of service, you'd usually refill maybe 30 days prior to exp date, and that's a situation for which no clear answers are really available.

SCADAGeo

N California

said by ConstantineM:

But that's not how it works; with 365 days of service, you'd usually refill maybe 30 days prior to exp date, and that's a situation for which no clear answers are really available.

Sorry it took so long to see your reply.

I use the PAYG minutes plan and I refill on the expiration date in order to get the full 365 days of service.

I'll have a chance to see if anything has changed with regards to T-Mobile's PAYG refill policy in May.

I'm switching to TING (took advantage of their offer in Jan to purchase 'unlocked' CDMA phone), and I plan to use my T-Mobile number as a GSM gateway on my PBX, so the refill amount will be less than $100.

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to ConstantineM

T-Mobile gets rid of contracts for cellphones

This news might be of interest to you. Personally, as a T-Mobile subscriber, it's not the contract that is the cause of T-Mobile's loss of subscribers it's the poor service. Just my opinion.

PETER SVENSSON, AP
Mon Mar 25, 8:54 PM UTC

NEW YORK (AP) — T-Mobile USA, the struggling No. 4 cellphone company, is ditching plans centered on familiar two-year contracts in favor of selling phones on installment plans.

T-Mobile is the first major U.S. carrier to break from the contract model. The company changed its website over the weekend to begin selling the new plans. It plans to lay out the rationale for the change on Tuesday at an event in New York, which could also reveal when T-Mobile will start selling the iPhone.

T-Mobile has been losing subscribers from its contract-based plans for more than two years, chiefly to bigger competitors Verizon Wireless and AT&T. T-Mobile has done better with contract-less, prepaid plans, but those aren't as profitable for the company.

The new plan blurs the boundaries between the two types. Prepaid plans have lower monthly fees, but the buyer usually has to pay full or nearly full price for the phones. With T-Mobile's new plans, the initial phone-buying experience won't be much different from what it's like for contract plans, but customers could save money in the long run.

For instance, someone who wants a Samsung Galaxy S III would pay $70 upfront and then $90 per month for unlimited calling, text and data. That monthly fee includes $20 to pay off the cost of the phone over two years.

By separating the cost of the phone from the service, T-Mobile is making its plans and upgrade options easier to understand. When the phone is paid off, the $20 fee in that example disappears. On traditional contract-based plans, the buyer is deemed to have "paid off" the phone after a certain period of time and become eligible for a new, subsidized phone, but the monthly payments don't decline.

As before, T-Mobile's prices generally undercut those of the bigger phone companies. The chief downside is that its data network coverage is poorer in rural areas.

T-Mobile stopped short of adopting shared-data plans that Verizon Wireless and AT&T introduced last year. Those plans allow all of a family's devices to share a pool of monthly data usage. Instead, T-Mobile is selling data per line in three tiers. The talk and text portion of the plan comes with 500 megabytes of data usage per month. Adding $10 bumps that to 2 gigabytes per month, while adding $20 provides unlimited data.

A big part of the reason for the exodus of contract-signing customers from T-Mobile is that it, alone among the four national-level cellphone carriers, hasn't sold the iPhone. That's because its network has, until recently, not been able to offer high-speed data service to iPhones. It's now able to offer high-speed data to iPhones in some cities, and in January, the company said it would start selling the iPhone this spring. It has also been trying to persuade iPhone owners whose contracts have expired with AT&T to move their phones to T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is a unit of Germany's Deutsche Telekom AG, which has agreed to merge it with No. 5 carrier MetroPCS Communications Inc. That deal faces opposition from shareholders of MetroPCS, which provides only prepaid service.

Associated Press
--
Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. ~ Nikola Tesla
Expand your moderator at work

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to ConstantineM

Re: [T-Mobile] PAYG and PBTD prepaid plans for backup purposes

said by SCADAGeo :

It did for me, back in 2009, on the PAYG minutes plan.

A $50 refill changed my rate to $0.13/min (additional 365 days of service).

said by SCADAGeo :

I use the PAYG minutes plan and I refill on the expiration date in order to get the full 365 days of service.

I'll have a chance to see if anything has changed with regards to T-Mobile's PAYG refill policy in May.

I'm switching to TING (took advantage of their offer in Jan to purchase 'unlocked' CDMA phone), and I plan to use my T-Mobile number as a GSM gateway on my PBX, so the refill amount will be less than $100.

I was pleasantly surprised when I recharged with $50 on one prepaid account, the rate stayed at 10 cents per minute.

I recharged the other account with $10 to see if I retained the 10 cent per minute rate - the answer was no.

Both numbers were extended for 365 days.