spc
uniqs
Robrr
join:2008-04-19

Robrr to iLearn

to iLearn

Re: Square Users?

said by iLearn:

Robrr, That is not true. A lot of small business owner use these card users, especially vendors/small independent contractors who travel a lot and need to process payments on-site. I have seen many small businesses at malls who use this type of payment processing.

No credit card #s are stored on your smart phone. Have you ever made a payment over the phone to anyone? Is that more secure?

I have been to trade shows and such where I have seen Square in action. My first thought the first time I saw it was that it was very cool idea. A little later when I was watching the person at the till run their credit card through the reader, the security side of me said that looked like a great way to capture cards on a personal device.

A quick Google search has also turned up there is/was a way to capture the credit card swipe data »mashable.com/2011/08/05/ ··· ecurity/

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When one thinks about it, using something like this that has the ability to record credit card info is really no different than in the old days where a merchant ran your card through the imprint machine, had you sign the slip and then they kept a copy for themselves. And yes - imprint machines are still a valid way to do credit card transactions, and we keep one here in the store in case our terminal happens to go down for whatever reason.

Remember - being able to capture the data isn't an issue, it's what gets done with the data that is.
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn to Robrr

to Robrr
quote:
I have been to trade shows and such where I have seen Square in action. My first thought the first time I saw it was that it was very cool idea. A little later when I was watching the person at the till run their credit card through the reader, the security side of me said that looked like a great way to capture cards on a personal device.

A quick Google search has also turned up there is/was a way to capture the credit card swipe data »mashable.com/2011/08/05/square-security/

You know what - anything is possible in today's world. I guess it also depends on who you are dealing with when making a payment. If you feel comfortable with a particular vendor, go ahead and let them use this reader else you have other payment options as well.

Again, we make payments over the phone (at least i do) and trust the other person handling our credit card info. I consider that to be more 'unsecured' than this iPhone card reader. - just my opinion.
My neighborhood gym owner has my credit card info. on file. I trust them - nothing bad has happened yet....

None of my customers (thus far) had any security concerns, I guess it does have to do with how much your customers trust in you and your company.

Lots of variables.

Thanks