Search similar:

uniqs
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Possible 5 Tuner DVR In The Works?

This is real interesting. Last week after the update to ODN 6.0, I began tooling around in the Diagnostic Screens to see if anything has changed. Here’s an observation, on page 6 of the Select + Down Arrow diags, the last five lines are ‘Tuner State’ followed by whether or not the channel tuned to is SDV or Non SDV. In the previous versions of ODN, there were just two lines, simply Tuner 1 and Tuner 2, and it didn’t list the channel #, or whether or not the tuner was buffering or being watched.

So this begs the million dollar question, why would the programmers put 5 lines that can output the state of the tuners, when current DVRs only have two of them. Is this a prelude of things to come?

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Motorola, Cisco, and Samsung have 6 tuner boxes in development that can transcode content to TV's, mobile, and other connected devices. Not sure when they will come out, but I think later this year would be about right.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to Happydude32

to Happydude32
I keep looking at this all the time hoping and praying. I dont know if it has anything to do with this or not, or if you've even seen it.

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-08-02

TWC has been talking about it for awhile but nothing yet.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to rv65

to rv65
other 6 tuner boxes are out right now

»www.shaw.ca/gateway/

»www.wowway.com/our-produ ··· ultra-tv

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

to Happydude32
TWC needs to catch up really bad

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
I know the select and up arrow method to get to some diagnostics, but since our upgrade I cannot find those diagnostics in your screen shot. How are you accomplishing that.

Vertigo
@myvzw.com

Vertigo

Anon

How is ODN 6.0 by the way? Does it fix any lag, recording issues? I'd also be curious about the theme options for making the guide easier to read. Any screenshots?

Last I heard, the Motorola DCX3600 series and Cisco 9845HDC were being tested with 6 tuners. The DVR pic on TWC's website looked a lot like the 9845 so perhaps its coming.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

to Happydude32
I was wondering what kind of DVR that was on their website
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to ds5v50

Premium Member

to ds5v50
said by ds5v50:

I know the select and up arrow method to get to some diagnostics, but since our upgrade I cannot find those diagnostics in your screen shot. How are you accomplishing that.

With ODN 5.x, you need to hold down Select until the Power Indicator blinks, just as if you want to access the diagnostics that youre thinking of, then continuing holding down Select for a few more seconds until the Mail light blinks and press the Down Arrow. With ODN 6.0, its back to the old way. No more waiting the extra few seconds, just hold down Select until the Mail and Power indicators blink, which is about 5 seconds and press either the Up or Down Arrows, depending on which diags you want.
Happydude32

Happydude32 to Vertigo

Premium Member

to Vertigo
It's not really much different. At first when I saw the 'Classic' option, I thought it would go back to the old Blue UI, but really all it does is change the font to yellow

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Happydude32:

It's not really much different. At first when I saw the 'Classic' option, I thought it would go back to the old Blue UI, but really all it does is change the font to yellow

looks like a blue guide to me compared to the black guide. The color of the show info is also used in iGuide for kids programs.

that looks like it could be a iGuide 2.0

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65 to Vertigo

Premium Member

to Vertigo
There is also the Samsung SMT-H4372. All 3 gateway boxes (Cisco, Motorola, and Samsung) are using the Broadcom 7425 CPU, which is faster than the CPU's found in the current HD-DVR platforms. It also supports MoCA 2.0 and can transcode video as well!

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

to Happydude32
That Samsung looks like a really nice box!

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
Thank you, That was it.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to MeInDallas

to MeInDallas
said by MeInDallas:

id rather prefer the DCX3600 as it looks pretty close to the DCX3400.

rv65
Premium Member
USA!!!!

rv65 to MeInDallas

Premium Member

to MeInDallas
All gateways can transcode video and have MoCA 2.0. They also have 6 tuners and a 1TB HDD. I know the cisco can be ordered with a 2TB unit.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by Happydude32:

looks like a blue guide to me compared to the black guide. The color of the show info is also used in iGuide for kids programs.

that looks like it could be a iGuide 2.0

Do the Search and Access Menu screens show any blue as well? Or just the time grid?

You can also filter the Time Grid to show Subscribed Channels only in this version.

Satch

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by MeInDallas:

id rather prefer the DCX3600 as it looks pretty close to the DCX3400.

At this point if they offered me one with anything more than 2 tuners I wouldnt care of it had Sears Kenmore stamped on it haha
MeInDallas

1 recommendation

to Happydude32
Saw this on Fierce Cable today. They keep pushing the time back more and more

»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 13-01-31
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

Satch

said by MeInDallas:

My prediction,

It will be $10 more per month to rent than the current DVR's and may only be offered for Whole Home Subs. (Including Signature Home.) For those who only do limited recording or have only one TV, as is my case, the added expense may not be for everyone.

However, TWC really needs an opt-in for subs to have more than a 2-tuner DVR.

Satch

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

said by Satch:

said by MeInDallas:

My prediction,

It will be $10 more per month to rent than the current DVR's and may only be offered for Whole Home Subs. (Including Signature Home.) For those who only do limited recording or have only one TV, as is my case, the added expense may not be for everyone.

However, TWC really needs an opt-in for subs to have more than a 2-tuner DVR.

Satch

If it was $10 more I'm to the point I would pay it. I would even settle for one that had 4 tuners on it at least. Theres just too many channels on cable and too many shows to have only 2 tuners. Uverse has 4 and DirecTv has 5 now, so TWC needs to get with the times. I would even go for different pricing, say $20 for 2 tuners, $25 for 4 tuners, and $30 for 6 tuners, and give people a choice.

I've been using one of the Ceton cards lately with 4 tuners, but of course it has it quirks like anything else out there. Its nice to have the 4 tuners though.