spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NYC Guy

join:2003-11-08
New York, NY

Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

I recently had some major construction done in my apartment and a FIOS cable box was somehow lost. This was their least expensive digital box and not their HD box. I spoke to a FIOS rep today and they wanted to charge me $199 to replace this lost box.

Has anyone had any experience with FIOS for charges on lost equipment like this?

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

$200 doesn't seem that bad at all.

How do you lose a cable box? Why should they be on the hook for the replacement cost?

NYC Guy

New York, NY
reply to NYC Guy

The contractors people somehow misplaced it while installing wood floors and i suspect that it was thrown out with all of the waste by mistake. I am currently in small claims court with them for poor workmanship so I seriously doubt I will ever get the money for the cable box from them.

As for the $199 charge I think that it is way too high for such an old type piece of equipment. We aren't even speaking about a HD box here!

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

I wish you luck in small claims court. Sucks on top of them losing the box they did shoddy work.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to NYC Guy

Not mine.

Is this the box?

»compare.ebay.com/like/1609592686···var=sbar

NYC Guy

New York, NY

No it isn't. Mine was a tiny black analog to digital converter box. The model is DCT700 which they bill me $5.99 a month.

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···00_US-EN

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

Verizon states all their charges for misplaced or damaged boxes somewhere in their agreements. It's your responsibility to take care of their rental equipment. If you are leasing or renting a car, you are also responsible for it. How do they know you lost it or sold it on ebay? You have to take care of it.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to NYC Guy

Consider one of these. »www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003AOL2QY

Are you canceling service? or still keeping it? Do you have homeowner or renter insurance (although the deductible won't cover $200). Doesn't seem to be many options. Maybe if you were to file it as a theft with police report etc., it might be covered differently.

My DCT700 is not visibly branded by Verizon, although they may do a serial number scan and find it's not their inventory.

You're already on record as requesting a replacement with no return, so not sure how you can finagle it. Best you can do is try to find a sympathetic ear.

Consider Executive Resolutions, particularly if you can say you've had FiOS since the beginning and you plan to keep it forever-ish. Or, pay it and chalk it up to picking the wrong contractor.

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
kudos:1
reply to NYC Guy

Just tell them to spread the payment on bill for 4 months.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to NYC Guy

Be glad they only want $200. Some cable companies want more for the box. And used cable modems that are lost/never returned try up to $300 for one that is about 4+ years old.

All cable companies charge these rates weather its VZ, ATT, or another MSO they're charged and stated up front for anything lost, stolen, not returned or anything else.

NYC Guy

New York, NY
reply to birdfeedr

Everyone here knows that a 4 year old box that isn't even an HD model is not worth what they are trying to charge. On principle alone I refuse to pay them that ridiculous $199 amount!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

My DCT700 is not visibly branded by Verizon, although they may do a serial number scan and find it's not their inventory.

Lmfao, MSOs have inventory management systems that are sophisticated enough to ensure that you can't just return another STB even if it's the same model.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NYC Guy

said by NYC Guy:

On principle alone I refuse to pay them that ridiculous $199 amount!

You may wish to rethink that when you realize that they will send sell it to collections, you'll have your credit trashed and the credit hounds will inflate the amount due 10X and you'll still be on the hook
Expand your moderator at work

NYC Guy

New York, NY
reply to guppy_fish

Re: Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

Incidentally does anyone know what this DCT 700 box from Motorola really sells for brand new? I am not talking about eBay prices but from legitimate retailers.

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ

You signed a contract. You lost the box. Pay the bill.

As already pointed out, you're going to be in for a world of problems if you don't pay it...and yes, $199 is fair. With all of the subsidized equipment we're all used to such as cell phones and cable / satellite receivers people have lost touch with the real cost of these devices.

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to NYC Guy

You can't buy it from legitimate retailers. It is not sold directly to individuals. Only cable companies can legitimately purchase it.

gregory32

@verizon.net
reply to NYC Guy

likely it was stolen. i hope u didnt leave them alone in ur house. what else is missing?

cable companies always charge a lot if customers lose their equipment. it teaches them to be more responsible. your $199 covers the loss of box and the cost of people that steal them then sell it on ebay for $10.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NYC Guy

The contractor should have 'business insurance', for damage done on the job. Try to make the contractor pay for the loss.. I admit that small-claims wouldn't be worth it, but if they lost a DVR box @ $~550, then it might have been worth it to threaten litigation & see is that scares them...

or, take my Dad's approach.. Tell the owner of the company that you'll do everything in your power to influence people to NOT use that particular contractor, because they won't confess & pay for damage they did... etc etc...

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to NYC Guy

said by NYC Guy:

Incidentally does anyone know what this DCT 700 box from Motorola really sells for brand new? I am not talking about eBay prices but from legitimate retailers.

I don't think MSOs can even buy this box anymore as most STB makers have stopped manufacturing SD terminals. Up north here where MSOs allow customers to buy equipment, the company I'm with sells the same terminal to customers for $99+tax for a refurb unit that comes with a 2 year warranty. If you lose a rental they charge $99 for the terminal, $5 for the power cord, and $25 for the remote, so not too far off from what Verizon is charging you.

NYC Guy

New York, NY

It's about $95 off as I do have the remote. if they said it was only $100 I would bite the bullet, but we all know they will be basing this on shipping a refurbished unit if I asked for a replacement box.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to yyzlhr

Doesn't your home owners policy include theft?

If it does file a claim.

You MUST pay the listed price, as the terms of your agreement are included in your contract with Verizon. Doesn't matter whether it is a old or refurbished box or not, you agreed to pay when you started service.

I would also call the contractor and see if you can get them to pay for the box. Heck send them a bill for it. If they don't respond have a lawyer send them a letter demanding payment or else you will be heading to small claims court.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to NYC Guy

Instead of trying to justify why you shouldn't pay this, don't fight Verizon - fight your contractor who lost it...

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to NYC Guy

If you've had the box for three years or so you have essentially paid for it. You might want to mention this point politely in your next call to Verizon. I'm not sure it will get you anywhere, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise you might want to add the cost of the box to your small claims case against the contractor.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by billhere:

Otherwise you might want to add the cost of the box to your small claims case against the contractor.

If you go on Judge Judy, let us know the air date. This is a show I'd like to see.

A light joke does not indicate I don't care. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. I wouldn't handle it well. With contractors, it's 50% up front, and 50% when done. If they can't handle getting materials in advance, they're not the folks I want working for me.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NYC Guy

Here the cable company charges 150 for that box so verizon is pretty close. The other side of the coin means verizon now has to buy a new box to replace that box. Something they really shouldnt have to do. If i go rent a tool and i lose or break it the tool rental store doesnt charge me for a used tool. I get to buy a brand new one for them and i dont even get to keep it.

NYC Guy

New York, NY

I seriously doubt that Verizon is giving out new boxes as a replacement. This would definitely be a refurbished one for a model that old.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to NYC Guy

Why should the rest of us customers have to absorb the cost of your replacement box as opposed to the one who actually lost it?

Saying "Verizon should pay for it" is actually saying "You guys should all pay for it."

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to NYC Guy

Whether they replace it with a new box or a refurbished box, they're still down a box and will have to replenish to either keep their spares at an acceptable level or meet demand for their service.

They're down a box. It was in your possession when it went missing. Stop whining and pay up, then take it up with your contractor or get over it.

You will suffer if you try to take a stand against Verizon, especially when the terms of your contract with them have you severely disadvantaged.

spg
Grrrr

join:2001-10-31
NOT Texas!

Verizon doesn't want those boxes in circulation. A high "replacement cost" ensures they get returned. Pay the bill or return the box. The concept is simple.
--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin