how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NYC Guy

join:2003-11-08
New York, NY
reply to yyzlhr

Re: Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

It's about $95 off as I do have the remote. if they said it was only $100 I would bite the bullet, but we all know they will be basing this on shipping a refurbished unit if I asked for a replacement box.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to yyzlhr

Doesn't your home owners policy include theft?

If it does file a claim.

You MUST pay the listed price, as the terms of your agreement are included in your contract with Verizon. Doesn't matter whether it is a old or refurbished box or not, you agreed to pay when you started service.

I would also call the contractor and see if you can get them to pay for the box. Heck send them a bill for it. If they don't respond have a lawyer send them a letter demanding payment or else you will be heading to small claims court.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to NYC Guy

Instead of trying to justify why you shouldn't pay this, don't fight Verizon - fight your contractor who lost it...

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to NYC Guy

If you've had the box for three years or so you have essentially paid for it. You might want to mention this point politely in your next call to Verizon. I'm not sure it will get you anywhere, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise you might want to add the cost of the box to your small claims case against the contractor.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by billhere:

Otherwise you might want to add the cost of the box to your small claims case against the contractor.

If you go on Judge Judy, let us know the air date. This is a show I'd like to see.

A light joke does not indicate I don't care. I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. I wouldn't handle it well. With contractors, it's 50% up front, and 50% when done. If they can't handle getting materials in advance, they're not the folks I want working for me.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NYC Guy

Here the cable company charges 150 for that box so verizon is pretty close. The other side of the coin means verizon now has to buy a new box to replace that box. Something they really shouldnt have to do. If i go rent a tool and i lose or break it the tool rental store doesnt charge me for a used tool. I get to buy a brand new one for them and i dont even get to keep it.

NYC Guy

New York, NY

I seriously doubt that Verizon is giving out new boxes as a replacement. This would definitely be a refurbished one for a model that old.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to NYC Guy

Why should the rest of us customers have to absorb the cost of your replacement box as opposed to the one who actually lost it?

Saying "Verizon should pay for it" is actually saying "You guys should all pay for it."

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to NYC Guy

Whether they replace it with a new box or a refurbished box, they're still down a box and will have to replenish to either keep their spares at an acceptable level or meet demand for their service.

They're down a box. It was in your possession when it went missing. Stop whining and pay up, then take it up with your contractor or get over it.

You will suffer if you try to take a stand against Verizon, especially when the terms of your contract with them have you severely disadvantaged.

spg
Grrrr

join:2001-10-31
NOT Texas!

Verizon doesn't want those boxes in circulation. A high "replacement cost" ensures they get returned. Pay the bill or return the box. The concept is simple.
--
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Expand your moderator at work

John W

join:2007-08-05
Springfield, VA
reply to spg

Re: Ridiculous charge for lost FIOS cable box!

The idea that he should pay whatever Verizon says it is worth is just absurd. How about if they wanted $500? $1,000? $10,000? The fact is the box has an actual value, and it may or may not be what Verizon asks. He should have to pay a fair price, not whatever number the incompetent people at Verizon's business office say it is worth. (And if anyone doesn't think they are incompetent, they should go back and read some of the horror stories on this site.)

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

Read the TOS and contract. This is not absurd...

knarf829

reply to John W

said by John W:

The idea that he should pay whatever Verizon says it is worth is just absurd. How about if they wanted $500? $1,000? $10,000? The fact is the box has an actual value, and it may or may not be what Verizon asks. He should have to pay a fair price, not whatever number the incompetent people at Verizon's business office say it is worth. (And if anyone doesn't think they are incompetent, they should go back and read some of the horror stories on this site.)

He should pay what he agreed to pay.

NYC Guy

New York, NY
reply to John W

Thank you, that is exactly my point. 3-4 years ago they might have been giving their customers new DCT 700 boxes. We all know that isn't the case today as if they sent you one it would be refurbished.

To all of you that simply say pay the $199, I say to you in turn would you pay the same price for a used car vs. a new one? I would not be arguing with them if they asked for a more reasonable fee but to pay them $199 for this lost box is absurd!

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to NYC Guy

I guess I agree. Bite the bullet and pay VZ what they want, then fight the contractor on the back end.
------------------

Had a similar deal in college - I was required to subscribe to the Wall St. Journal, and was to be delivered to the college. Never saw a single paper, so I didn't pay the bill. The distributor sent me notes saying the payment was overdue & I wrote back & said I never saw any papers. The last letter they sent me was along the lines of "we're going to sell your acct to a collection agency" -- they even went on to say how it was "people like me who make costs higher for the good customers....". They wanted $30. I wrote them a check, and was done with them. the 'principle of the thing' wasn't worth the damage I'd incur by fighting. A college-age person with a bad credit rating isn't a good thing. --Cant' remember what I told the prof about the absence of WSJ....

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NYC Guy

Your arguments on this board will not hold up in court. You can't argue contractual language for something you signed up for. It's the same thing as a car lease or car loan - you agreed to terms before receiving goods. Now you want to renegotiate the terms after you've used the goods. It doesn't work that way...

I don't like how much I pay each month for my car lease - am I going to stop payment and tell my leasing company I want a lower monthly rate? They would laugh at me, and I wouldn't have my car.

You or your contractor lost a leased cable box. That's what homeowners or business insurance is for. File an insurance claim after you pay Verizon, and stop arguing your point here.

Refuse to pay Verizon, and welcome to a long 'argument' with a collections agency....

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
reply to NYC Guy

Also you can't prove it was refurbished. Pay it and move on, unless you don't care about your credit rating.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to NYC Guy

Also it does not matter if the STB was a refurb or Brand new. You were supplied with with a STB that provided the services you were subscribed to. You or your contractor were irresponsible and lost the STB. Quit your whining.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to NYC Guy

$200 is not that bad. It sounds like you should have paid more attention to what they were doing.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

I don't like how much I pay each month for my car lease - am I going to stop payment and tell my leasing company I want a lower monthly rate? They would laugh at me, and I wouldn't have my car.

Cars have a residual value at the end of the lease which is less than the value of the car at the start of the lease.

If you have rented the cable box for 3 years, you have paid for the cost of the cable box and the replacement cost should reflect that.

knarf829

Uh, no. It's not a rent-to-own program.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

said by nycdave:

Cars have a residual value at the end of the lease which is less than the value of the car at the start of the lease.

If you have rented the cable box for 3 years, you have paid for the cost of the cable box and the replacement cost should reflect that.

Your analogy does not apply. With a car, you have the choice of buying it or leasing it. You do not have that choice with an STB from Verizon.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PJL:

With a car, you have the choice of buying it or leasing it. You do not have that choice with an STB from Verizon.

If you don't return it and you pay the fee, then you bought it.

daved324

@verizon.net
reply to NYC Guy

sory to read of ur experience. i had same problem when i used craigslist to find floor workers. stupid me. good luck.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

said by PJL:

With a car, you have the choice of buying it or leasing it. You do not have that choice with an STB from Verizon.

If you don't return it and you pay the fee, then you bought it.

Semantics here. IMHO, this is not buying the equipment. The contract with Verizon does an option for buying their equipment. It is paying a penalty fee for breaking the contract in which it states that the equipment remains the property of Verizon, and if you don't return it, you must pay a fee. Verizon still considers themselves the owner of the equipment. If someone were to attempt to activate an STB that was never returned because it was lost, stolen or sold, Verizon will not activate service for that equipment.

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

Let's also remember even though VZ paid probably somewhere around $200 for that equipment back when now... And have collected a lot of rental fees associated with it during the period the subscriber had utilized it...

There are other lifecycle costs associated with VZ's aggregate STB "inventory" in the hands of those subscribers.

E.g, customer support, software development, repairs, etc.

Is VZ making a profit here? Yes. Is it extreme? It doesn't seem so when you look at the lifecycle costs of their STB inventory.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

They probably paid a couple hundred more for it. Even with bulk discounts the boxes are very expensive. Just look at TiVo. The only way they can get the prices down so low is to subsidize the cost of the box.

But ultimately, in the end, it makes no difference what a box costs. The customer signed an agreement to pay a certain amount if a box goes missing. I see no problem with it. If the user doesn't like the cost they will have to pay then they either should not have lost the box, or they should not have signed up for service. It's certainly not worth complaining continuously about it on a forum. Sure it sucks to have to pay it, but that's life. We don't get everything we want.

NYC Guy

New York, NY

We have gotten off topic here with the new and used car analogy I made. The bottom line is that you as a customer have the right to ask for an accommodation from VZ or any other large company. Airlines charge large fees that are written into their contracts and frequently you can get them waived or reduced if you speak to the right person and have a VALID request. What has happened here is no different so please spare me the speech that I agreed to their charges when I signed a contract. Any customer is entitled to request some help from a service provider.

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ

Then I suggest you ask Verizon and stop complaining here. Really, I feel bad that you got screwed by the contractor, but that box was your responsibility. You lost it. If you think it's worth dragging out by trying to find someone at Verizon to waive the fee, have at it.

My advice, try Twitter or Facebook where they try to put on a happy face for everyone.