how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UnknownBeing

join:2012-12-30
Hopewell Junction, NY

[OOL] Can't log into router

When I go to 192.168.1.1 it forwards me to »router.optimum.net. Is there anyway to get to the router configuration and not through Optimum's portal?

SL83

join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY
kudos:1

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to UnknownBeing
My guess is no. It appears the firmware is set to use optimum for authentication, and allows you to mange the router from outside your network.

said by router.optimum.net :
Router Settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will soon be able to manage your router settings online, from any location. This feature is currently unavailable to you for one of the following reasons:

Our new router is not yet available in your area. You will be notified when this feature becomes available and how to get one.

Your existing router provided by Optimum has not been upgraded to the latest version of our router software. The upgrade will happen automatically and you will be notified when it is completed. Please continue to manage your router using the existing DigiDo software. Click here for details.

--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

SL83

Oceanside, NY
What router is this?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Does not happen with my WNDR3400 from CV. Were you ever to log into the router with that address?

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to UnknownBeing
Any router received after the 21st of this month (even if its a wndr3400) comes with new firmware that allows you to manage it via the optimum site. I'm not 100% sure if you can access its internal page at all with the new firmware, but I do believe the website has most of the settings needed.

As for the people who had an Optimum provided router before the 21st, a firmware rollout will be happening in the coming months.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
I had upgraded from boost to boost plus this Tuesday and they gave us a router for it. It was a crappy scratched up WNDR3400 that would cut out every 10 minutes but I could log into it and I got it replaced today and now I cannot. I've tried routerlogin.com and routerlogin.net too and both time out.

SL83

Oceanside, NY
reply to cabletecht
Well that sucks. I imagine if I turn off the TR-069 client I won't get that pushed to me?

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to UnknownBeing
said by UnknownBeing:

I've tried routerlogin.com and routerlogin.net too and both time out.

Have you tried 192.168.1.1 or router.optimum.net? Does that work?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to UnknownBeing
said by UnknownBeing:

When I go to 192.168.1.1 it forwards me to »router.optimum.net. Is there anyway to get to the router configuration and not through Optimum's portal?

disconnect WAN cable

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
Is that the only way?

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to UnknownBeing
Click for full size
I tried disconnecting the WAN and it goes to a troubleshooter. It is running openrg, is there anyway to bypass this?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Does the interface through optimum.net give you access to all the same router features that you had previously? I'm just trying to figure out if there is any reason to care or if you are not limited in any additional way than you were before. I'm sure the benefit is that tech support can provide some limited support to the router, as the previous software interface they used was just awful (rarely worked and awkward to use).

Out of curiosity, is your default gateway on the computer when connected to the router still 192.168.1.1?

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
I personally like the way it used to be. I can't see logs anymore. No parental controls, can't change QoS settings. I put back my Linksys E2500 and I would love to use the netgear as an extender which I know was possible with the old menus.
And yes, the default gateway is still 192.168.1.1
Also the new firmware lowered my speeds on wireless by about 20mbps.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
said by UnknownBeing:

I put back my Linksys E2500 and I would love to use the netgear as an extender which I know was possible with the old menus.

You could try a hard reset it may allow you to restore the original settings. There should be a small hole in the rear where you can push a button with something like the end of a paperclip. Hold that for 5 seconds, until the Power light starts to blink.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
said by TheWiseGuy:

Hold that for 5 seconds, until the Power light starts to blink.

I've tried that. All that does it just reboot it. It doesn't even restore default settings.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to UnknownBeing
Anybody get anything?

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
I don't think it will work as an extender with the OOL firmware. If you really want to do that, I think your best bet is to TFTP different firmware to the device.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to dm145
said by dm145:

said by UnknownBeing:

disconnect WAN cable

LMAO
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

rocafellanrd

join:2009-05-04
reply to UnknownBeing

Reasons you can't log into the internal page

@ UnknownBeing.

The router internal page has been officially replaced due to a new firmware push to the router hardware. It does four things.

1. It eliminates the router internal page completely.
2. A remote managed router format takes its place that requires the use of the subscribers optimum ID and password.
3. Stops incentive for router theft or firmware re-flashing for the Netgear routers and any future router deployments.
4. Equips any new roll out or provisioning of new routers on the CVC network easier to do for field service technicians and remote support agents.

What is also does is:

5. Forces customers to choose between:
A. CVC standard router, whereby support provided by CVC.
B. getting there own router and supporting it themselves

6. Limits the options/feature-sets provided by the router from factory.
7. The firmware push should eventually help with enhancing optimum wifi for the future and soho wifi for subscribers.

I am not really accepting of the idea, but I understand. I will use my own router.
Most subscribers on the other hand will not, so they must choose.

SL83

Oceanside, NY
I'm just going to throw this out there - I could be incorrect, but:

I imagine if I turn off the TR-069 client I won't get their new firmware pushed to me?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
It is always possible that they are going to push it to any routers that are registered on the account regardless of that setting. I have no idea, but CV definitely has an inventory of their routers (as they do with all equipment)

SL83

Oceanside, NY
I'm going to wager a guess that they won't be able to push it without that on.

jaa
Premium
You might also check that WAN logon is disabled and change the default password.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to rocafellanrd
said by rocafellanrd:

3. Stops incentive for router theft or firmware re-flashing for the Netgear routers and any future router deployments.

I'm assuming tftping into this thing and restoring the firmware would piss off optimum. Are they lending it to us or is it our to keep?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to UnknownBeing

Re: [OOL] Can't log into router

As far as I know, the router is free for you to use as long as you are an Optimum customer -- just like the cable modem.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to UnknownBeing

Re: Reasons you can't log into the internal page

said by UnknownBeing:

said by rocafellanrd:

I'm assuming tftping into this thing and restoring the firmware would piss off optimum. Are they lending it to us or is it our to keep?

I wouldn't worry about that. They are not going to send the router police after you.
--

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY
reply to rocafellanrd
It could also be that Optimum, like Verizon, discovered that if they provide a router they must support it; and it is nearly impossible to support a router without control of its features.

I wouldn't blame them for this - for the vast majority of customers having Customer Service operate the router will provide a better service experience than doing it themselves.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

said by voipguy:

It could also be that Optimum, like Verizon, discovered that if they provide a router they must support it; and it is nearly impossible to support a router without control of its features.

I wouldn't blame them for this - for the vast majority of customers having Customer Service operate the router will provide a better service experience than doing it themselves.

Right. And if you need truly granular control of your router, it's best you procure your own hardware anyway.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to jaa

Re: [OOL] Can't log into router

said by jaa See ProfileI think your best bet is to TFTP different firmware to the device.

Do you know how I would get it back to OpenRG?