share rss forum feed

SL83

join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY
kudos:1
reply to Calculata

Re: Reasons you can't log into the internal page

I'm just going to throw this out there - I could be incorrect, but:

I imagine if I turn off the TR-069 client I won't get their new firmware pushed to me?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2

It is always possible that they are going to push it to any routers that are registered on the account regardless of that setting. I have no idea, but CV definitely has an inventory of their routers (as they do with all equipment)

SL83

join:2005-05-28
Oceanside, NY
kudos:1

I'm going to wager a guess that they won't be able to push it without that on.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13

You might also check that WAN logon is disabled and change the default password.

UnknownBeing

join:2012-12-30
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to Calculata

said by Calculata:

3. Stops incentive for router theft or firmware re-flashing for the Netgear routers and any future router deployments.

I'm assuming tftping into this thing and restoring the firmware would piss off optimum. Are they lending it to us or is it our to keep?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to UnknownBeing

Re: [OOL] Can't log into router

As far as I know, the router is free for you to use as long as you are an Optimum customer -- just like the cable modem.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to UnknownBeing

Re: Reasons you can't log into the internal page

said by UnknownBeing:

said by Calculata:

3. Stops incentive for router theft or firmware re-flashing for the Netgear routers and any future router deployments.

I'm assuming tftping into this thing and restoring the firmware would piss off optimum. Are they lending it to us or is it our to keep?

I wouldn't worry about that. They are not going to send the router police after you.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY
reply to Calculata

It could also be that Optimum, like Verizon, discovered that if they provide a router they must support it; and it is nearly impossible to support a router without control of its features.

I wouldn't blame them for this - for the vast majority of customers having Customer Service operate the router will provide a better service experience than doing it themselves.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

said by voipguy:

It could also be that Optimum, like Verizon, discovered that if they provide a router they must support it; and it is nearly impossible to support a router without control of its features.

I wouldn't blame them for this - for the vast majority of customers having Customer Service operate the router will provide a better service experience than doing it themselves.

Right. And if you need truly granular control of your router, it's best you procure your own hardware anyway.

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to jaa

Re: [OOL] Can't log into router

said by jaa See ProfileI think your best bet is to TFTP different firmware to the device.

Do you know how I would get it back to OpenRG?

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to UnknownBeing

Also, TFTPing doesn't work. It times out.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to UnknownBeing

said by UnknownBeing:

said by jaa See ProfileI think your best bet is to TFTP different firmware to the device.

Do you know how I would get it back to OpenRG?

This would be the cheapest and easiest way: »www.amazon.com
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.