All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

equalizr
@sbcglobal.net

equalizr

Anon

Uverse static ip address changed- any ideas?

I have been lucky no problems here in Miami, fl with the big outage.
I needed to get into my computer remotely today & couldn't.
Started to panic, went straight home -It took me about 1 minute to figure out that my static IP address I have had for over 2 years had changed.the first two classes of numbers stayed the same, they changed the last two sets..All is well again. I thought they has to change you to a different port on the dslam or dram green thingy box on the corner (what ever they call it this week)or change your gateway for your IP to change.
I wasn't home to see if there was any AT&T guys out there today.
My guess is no, maybe a result of this big outage and at&t changing things along the way to fix the problem? Anybody have any thoughts on this? or have there IP address change?
I hope it stays put again for a long while as I need it to be static.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

Consumer ATT Uverse IP addresses are sticky by nature, but they are not static. I guess another way to say it is they are "pseudostatic" or "persistent". Users tend to get the same IP address unless they have a major local repair, significant change in premises hardware, or as is the current cause, a major regional failure and subsequent repair. So, while you will tend to have the same IP for an extended period of time, there is no guarantee that will be the case.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to equalizr

to equalizr
Another U-verse VDSL user here in South Florida and I can report my IP address also changed very early on Tuesday morning when the modem rebooted. No other outage other then the reboot time.

Since the reported issue was a software update related to the DHCP servers that might explain the change in our sticky IP addresses if we got connected to a different DHCP server.

Dave

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to equalizr

Premium Member

to equalizr
My IP changed on the 22nd, but I just did a broadband link reset to get my MTU back and 'lo and behold, I have my old sticky IP again...

equalizr
@sbcglobal.net

equalizr

Anon

how do you do a "broadband link reset to get my MTU back"
equalizr

equalizr to dave006

Anon

to dave006
makes sense, I hope they stay the same for as long as my last one did.
I think it has something to do with the rg & the port you are on, then it stays the same as mine has for yrs, except for what you say about the the new software change.

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to equalizr

Premium Member

to equalizr
in your gateway, go to the settings tab, then diagnotics tab, click on resets. you will need the password on the bottom of your gateway. then click the reset broadband link button

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to equalizr

Premium Member

to equalizr
Just a note: Although AT&T U-Verse residential accounts generally always keep their IP address, they are not guaranteed static. If AT&T deems it so, they can re-organize IP addresses and whatnot, and you would get a new IP address at some point.

If you need a *guaranteed* static address, you should probably switch to a business account. Note that you most likely be assigned a NEW IP address when you do so, as they generally separate out the static IP addresses on a slightly different range from the normal residential ones. But that would then be the last change.

That said, I had the same IP address since they turned on my internet service in 2010.

equalizr
@sbcglobal.net

equalizr to netboy34

Anon

to netboy34
will that lose all my ports that are forwarded ?
I need to keep those ?
when I do the reset ?

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click that or just unplug the gateway from power for a couple minutes and power back on... but resetting the broadband link is faster
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to equalizr

to equalizr
You can also do "Reboot System" as well, since that will also reset the broadband link.

equalizr
@sbcglobal.net

equalizr

Anon

That will keep all my ports that are forwarded correct ?

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

correct

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to equalizr

Premium Member

to equalizr
You could run Dyndns in case it happens again.