Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

harmony remotes RIP

»ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/l···-remotes

(Edit)Logitechs (not LG, doh-ith /Edit) earning report shows low sales for some products.

Harmony remotes are a steady but low margin sales product. No word on if they will sale off the division.

This sucks. To quote my wife....

Nooooooooo
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

FYI, LG and Logitech are two different companies. Logitech manufactures the Harmony, not LG.

It's not surprising that their Harmony business has been faltering. Logitech sells horribly outdated hardware at grossly overinflated costs, ignores customer input, provides a horrible interface for configuring them, and hasn't updated any of the firmware or software of their flagship devices in years.

Don't get my wrong, I love my Harmony remote, but everything about it (especially the touchscreen) feels like I bought it 10 years ago instead of a few months ago.

My main concern is that they might abandon support for the remote. You see, their desktop software is entirely web-based, and you can't use the software without an internet connection or connecting to your logitech account. If they shut down any of these services, all existing customers will find themselves with non-programmable remotes.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to Devanchya

They also discontinued hardware like the SqueezeBox Boom (anything "Squeeze") a little while back. I have two of these - hopefully they'll last a while.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Devanchya

The same can be said for the WDTV, great product, but they release buggy as hell firmware, and there hasn't been a new product for over a year.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Devanchya

URC is pretty gung-ho with the entire remote business and are doing all sorts of interesting stuff now that Logitech, as sad as it is to see them go, won't exactly be missed.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Devanchya

URC's remotes all seem to require base station or controller STBs, and their remotes are not sold directly to consumers, only through installers or distributors... At the moment, they're not a viable replacement for the Harmony remotes. I mean, if I can't buy the thing, it doesn't do me much good.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

You need to look harder, as they have a lot of consumer remotes that they sell directly to end-users.

»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···ESTMATCH

They also don't *require* a base station, they just optionally support it for RF control. Plenty of the models are IR LOS, or both.

I suspect that with Logitech leaving the business, their Canadian distribution may improve.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to Devanchya

Thats a drag. I was just doing some reconfiguration on one of our logitech remotes today. My perception is they could have done a better marketing effort , most homes must have a heap of individual remotes and these device are the ideal solution.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Devanchya

I use these all over the house.

»www.oneforall.com/product/index/···b_title/

They only cost me $10 apiece at XSCargo and they control absolutely EVERYTHING.

I have 7 devices working perfectly on one and still room for 3 more

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Devanchya

Click for full size
I wish they would change their splash screen to get rid of that woman. I don't know if I find her attractive or not, but WTF does she have to do with a remote control beside the fact she's holding one?

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

You need to look harder, as they have a lot of consumer remotes that they sell directly to end-users.

They also don't *require* a base station, they just optionally support it for RF control. Plenty of the models are IR LOS, or both.

I suspect that with Logitech leaving the business, their Canadian distribution may improve.

Thing is though that the Logitech web based setup was to be honest, dead nuts simple once you knew the model numbers of your equipment. I don't know of any other product that was as simple to set up and use (and that matters a *lot* when you're helping elderly parents with their A/V setup)

I can always migrate to an iDevice solution, mom can't...

NefCanuck

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

It seems like you have to do the programming on the remote, though. Looking through the models on newegg, I saw some reviews that mention the company refuses to give out the programming software except to distributors, and it only runs on XP, while the ones with better reviews discuss programming the remote stand-alone.

URC's website is a huge mess. Finding your way to the retail remotes is counter-intuitive. The products themselves might be fantastic, but they're definitely not a consumer company.

The biggest roadblock for me might be controlling my PS3. Logitech makes an (overpriced) adapter for that, it works well, but URC may not. However, the Harmony adapter probably works with the URC remote; the Harmony adapter pairs with the PS3 over bluetooth, and then the remote sends IR signals to the adapter. So the URC remote could probably replicate the signals, assuming it has a record/playback learning system like the Harmony remotes.
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to Devanchya

Logitech is looking to divest the remote division, so selling it is on the table.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Devanchya

Found this on Logitech's support forum:

quote:
This is Bracken Darrell, CEO of Logitech. Logitech just publicly announced a plan to hold the Harmony business for sale. Logitech is not shutting down the Harmony business and certainly not the service.

This corporate announcement does not impact Logitech’s commitment to our Harmony customers. During the sale, Logitech will continue to provide customer support for Harmony customers. All current warranties provided by Logitech for Harmony products remain unchanged at this time.

We very much appreciate our loyal Harmony community and will continue to support and communicate with our customers. Check back here for future updates on this topic.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for Logitech Harmony.

Regards,
Bracken Darrell
I love how they're committed to supporting the Harmony line until they get rid of it. What a useless commitment.
--
Tom

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

"I Shall Support you Madam, until I murder you in your sleep"...

Seems rather like a British Sitcom type of statement either way you say it (the CEO's or mine)
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TLS2000

Logitech has never supported Harmony customers before, why should they start now?
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

I love how they're committed to supporting the Harmony line until they get rid of it. What a useless commitment.

Why - or how - can they commit to anything else? I mean, if they sell the division it's no longer their decision to make, is it not?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Gone:

Why - or how - can they commit to anything else? I mean, if they sell the division it's no longer their decision to make, is it not?

A proper commitment would have been to ensure people that Logitech would continue to support legacy devices, or that they would release software to program your remote that does not require a connection to the Harmony website to program your remote.

If someone takes over Harmony but decides that they aren't going to support legacy devices, then all of those previous remotes will be stuck with whatever programming they have already on them. That is a big F U to their customers.

The reasons that the Harmony line has been lagging are twofold.

1) Logitech barely supported it to begin with. The Harmony Link app for Android didn't have Jelly Bean support for more than a year. They were still selling brand new Harmony Link devices specifically telling people it supported Android and anyone with a newer Android device was finding out that there was in fact ZERO support for it. They also changed the programming interface to a dumbed down web interface which made it much harder to customize your remote configurations. That means they actually took a couple steps back in what the remotes could do.

2) Logitech tried to force the market to adapt to what they wanted to develop. This can be seen in the Harmony Touch device, which has a convoluted interface and doesn't feel like a natural remote no matter what you do. They also had artificial device limits on their lower end remotes (650, 700 can only support 8 device, a lot of other remotes can support 15). It was proven to be artificial when someone went from a 550 (low, low end device) to a 700 with more than 8 devices and the software programmed the 700 for all of the devices.

Actually, I'm going to add a third reason:

3) The hardware has become unreliable over the last few years. I bought a 650 for my sister for Christmas a few years ago and it lasted about 11 months before dying. My friend has a 700 that has buttons that don't work. I hear this time and time again from people who have Harmony remotes.

The Harmony Link was a revolutionary product. It connects to your home Wifi and you can use your iDevice or Android device to control your home theatre system. Logitech developed a beautiful app for the iPad, a less beautiful one for the iPhone and left Android phones (not tablets) with a crappy looking app that looks like it was thrown together. Only recently have they allowed that crappy looking app to work on Android tablets.

Their total lack of support for their devices is the cause of their downfall. I have no faith that they will even attempt to get whoever buys the division to continue support of the hundreds of dollars worth of devices that I have purchased from them. I also highly doubt that they will support their legacy devices after they sell off the division. If my Harmony Link stops working for that reason, I will stop buying Logiitech devices.

I'm a huge fan of Logitech's devices too. I use their keyboards, mice, gamepads, remotes and speakers. Hopefully they get a clue and return to their old ways of actually providing support that people want.
--
Tom

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to Devanchya

Someone will likely take Harmony private, and hopefully improve the product.

They spent too much time being afraid of technology such as Smartphones rather then figuring out how to leverage it to sell more product.

The smart thing for them to do would have been to use the remotes as a gateway to small pieces of home automation and branch out from there, but it appears they're really averse to investing in product development.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee

Made in China, what do they know.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to CanadianRip

That costs money, but seriously, the only research they do is when it comes to cutting costs.

They took the Revolution XX mouse that had a built in battery (not user replaceable) and created a newer one that did.

This removed a shitload of warranty replacements due to failing batteries. Push the cost to the consumer.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Devanchya

I was literally just about to pull the trigger on a Harmony 650 for an HTPC I am building. I will have to change that plan otherwise I'll be giving someone an EOL product that may not be supported in the future. That is a risk I don't want to take.

I will admit the 650 does feel very poor in build quality but it's about one of the only universal remotes that I could find that does what I'm looking for this specific user. They aren't all that savvy so something that "pushes all the buttons" was valuable to me.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for something similar (IR) that can control multiple devices?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues

The problem is that user-replacable batteries sacrifice battery capacity to get the replacability, particularly if you're switching from internal Li-Ion to AA NiMH.
--

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
Ajax, ON
reply to creed3020

c2roth, the 650 is pretty cheap and well worth it Even as an EOL product.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Devanchya

I love my harmony remote. We got one for my wife's parents because it would be simpler to use one and for us to program. All of the time we find the other remotes out and they have been using them rather than the one. Not to mention we are always finding programs recorded on the PVR at the cottage set for "all episodes" because they pushed the wrong button and they just keep pushing more and not watching what is going on.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Devanchya

Am I the only one who remembers 50 years back when WE were the remote? Plus we'd have to fetch the old man a beer from the kitchen too

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Devanchya

I love my Harmony One. 5 years and counting now, with no issues.

However, the programming software sucks ass, and it takes forever to upload the new settings to the remote. It's a real pain when you are experimenting with various settings or macros. I wish they had invented some sort of wireless cradle for it, and that it would only upload what's changed and not the entire thing each time.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Devanchya

said by Devanchya:

c2roth, the 650 is pretty cheap and well worth it Even as an EOL product.

Agreed. I have a 650 and a 300 and I love them both. The 300 is the best of the best when it comes to the low-end universal remotes that are sold at Walmart and such.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

However, the programming software sucks ass, and it takes forever to upload the new settings to the remote. It's a real pain when you are experimenting with various settings or macros. I wish they had invented some sort of wireless cradle for it, and that it would only upload what's changed and not the entire thing each time.

I do not find it slow. Only takes a few seconds.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by donoreo:

said by HiVolt:

I do not find it slow. Only takes a few seconds.

You're joking, right? I'll time it when I get home, but it was always 2-3 minutes at least...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!