spc
uniqs
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to Patrick2082

to Patrick2082

Re: IP Address on Homefusion

The other poster is right, on LTE or any other low latency fiber backbone connection, distance really doesn't play much of a factor with speeds. Congestion and other factors do. Where the IP is pulled from could be anywhere really and unfortunately you have zero control over that. On my mifi I pull IP's that are registered from all over the country. I can communicate with servers on both coasts with under 40ms latency, as long as the ISP has things routed correctly which Verizon usually does a pretty good job of that. If you REALLY want to see where your traffic is going through, do a trace route to google.com, the different hops are where your traffic goes thru to get to the destination.

I have seen issues with some comcast connections that do some funky routing that causes latency issues but that is even on wired connections. Last I looked they finally fixed it after 9 months.

Patrick2082
@adamswells.com

Patrick2082

Anon

Just so Im understanding this correctly and explaining this correctly also. In the Admin Page of the router I have a full Signal. 5 bars filled. On my xbox in game, example on Black Ops 2 I get 2-3 bars when Connected to host. As of last night playing it pulled an ip from Wisconsin so I was group with people from that location. I live in Indiana south of Ft Wayne. I could only get a 3 bar connection everyone else was full 4 bar in Game. All players in the lobby were from Wisconsin but I was the only one from Indiana. I live 3 miles from the local tower and have a great signal to it. Just trying to find out if I could get a local ip to connect to players closer to my location. On the WoW game u connect directly to the server you signed up on. On console gaming it picks a console with the best connection.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

sounds to me your referring to the WiFi connection from your XBOX360 to the Verizon Modem/Wireless Router. I don't recall seeing a signal bar within the game of BlackOps 2, unless that's a latency indicator.

Patrick2082
@adamswells.com

Patrick2082

Anon

Im hard wired from my xbox to the router. On the admin page of the router it shows my signal strentgh to the cell tower. Which is always full 5 bars. When I turn my xbox on and load Black ops search for a game it puts me in a lobby with people that are local to my ip addresss my Homefusion pulls. Example last night my ip showed i lived in Wisconsin so the lobby on my xbox was full of players from Wisconsin. The night before my homefusion pulled a Kansas ip address so it matched me with players from the Kansas area. This is fine but I live in Indiana. When you play on Consoles we dont have dedicated servers. The console for where they place you with the best connection is the host. Once the game starts I can check how well my connection is to the host and typically in 2-3 bars compared to everyone else in this lobby being a full 4bars. Is there anything I can do to get a more localized IP so I can connect to local people for where I live. Thanks
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

I'm going to say no in getting a localized IP address for your area. Perhaps if VZW comes out with a business grade version of HomeFusion you might have that option, but the way cellular networks work today is based on a mesh network. Every VZW cell tower is broadcasting and receiving at the same time. VZW has multiple DHCP servers spread out over their network and anyone of those DHCP servers can issue you an IP. It just depends on which one is less busy to service your request. I've held the same IP address for days and have noticed that if I issue a reboot on the Cantenna, it will get a newer IP, usually on a different subnet.

You can try contacting VZW tech support and ask if you can have some sort of static IP assigned to your Cantenna. It's the Cantenna that holds the 4G/LTE radio and does the IP communicating to the 4G/LTE network.