how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

Mysterious Upgrades

I've been bugging Frontier for a long time about getting some upgrades in my area. 3 years ago we didn't have DSL at all, and now we have 6meg service. Not a bad jump, really. However, after talking to a tech, it seems my CO only has a single DSLAM. I find this ridiculous, as it provides zero redundancy and REALLY limits the speed and number of customers that can be serviced.

A friend and I are running off two separate COs and have both been told by a variety of customer service agents that upgrades are coming to our area in mid February. My friend was told bonded service would be available by March, and I wasn't told any specifics. I imagine some redundancy and higher speeds will be installed, but I don't know for sure because the supervisor isn't talking if he knows something.

Does anyone have any info for your area? I imagine Frontier is preparing for more speedtest requests in Indiana because they installed a new speedtest site in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

If you have heard anything about your area, please post it here. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in the overall situation of Frontier's network upgrades!
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

Action2

join:2010-06-29
Newman, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Small town, less than 1000 residents with the closest town of higher population being about 16 miles away.

CO currently has ADSL2+ and is scheduled to be upgraded to VDSL2+ this winter or early spring. Will bring speeds of 25/3 for residents and 40/10 for business is what I have been told.

Captain

join:2009-12-22
Dexter City, OH
reply to jamesonnorth

I have been told for two years and I know better. What they say and what they do is two different things. Our upgrades was coming to our area in December 2012.

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN

I've been worried about this exact thing... When I first got Frontier I was told 1.5mbps was all my area could support but then they figured out I was provisioned wrong and I suddenly had 6mbps. Now they say my area only supports 6mbps and the business plans are apparently the same - maybe a better SLA.

I'm not planning on living where I do much longer (maybe 6 months) so I won't have to deal with this for long. However I would be mad if they continue to push people around out here just because they think no one knows better.
--

jamesonnorth

Modoc, IN
reply to Action2

You're lucky for that! I'm between two towns, both of which are served by Comcast and Frontier. Comcast is serving up 10-20mbps normal and I think up to 30 or 50mbps if you're willing to pay for it. Frontier tops out at 6mbps with no bonding available at all even if you're willing to pay double the normal rate.

I'm crossing my fingers for VDSL or ADSL2+ bonding in this supposed mid February upgrade. Being less than a mile from Comcast service really ticks me off!
--