join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to chrisretusn

Re: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

said by chrisretusn:

I just installed the KDE version, Firefox is not part of the install. You have to install it via Software Management.

Yes, that works and I have already done it. But it should be selectable as part of the original install.

I then setup "sshd_config" to only allow public-key authentication. Then, when I tried to login, I discovered that SELinux is blocking access to 'ssh/authorized_keys'. Yes, the message says how to change that. But it is a ridiculous default setting.

I installed "ecryptfs". After my next login, I checked, and the ecryptfs private directory was not mounted. It seems that SELinux is blocking that, too. The command "ecryptfs-mount-private" does work, but the attempt to do that via PAM is failing and generating SELinux messages.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 18.0

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by nwrickert:

said by chrisretusn:

I just installed the KDE version, Firefox is not part of the install. You have to install it via Software Management.

Yes, that works and I have already done it. But it should be selectable as part of the original install.

Firefox was available for me at install, but I also enabled network install. I always do this when I install Fedora so I don't have to patch afterwards.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

said by chrisretusn:

Why? The only browser I prefer is Firefox and yes I was was annoyed that Firefox was not available but, it is Fedora KDE and KDE comes with Konqueror. Now on the GNOME install, Firefox is installed as your default browser.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by chrisretusn:

Why? The only browser I prefer is Firefox and yes I was was annoyed that Firefox was not available but, it is Fedora KDE and KDE comes with Konqueror.

That's a good reason why selecting KDE shouldn't automatically select firefox.

But that's beside the point.

The main point is that I already downloaded the DVD, and firefox is part of what I downloaded. It should be available as an option extra selection when installing from the DVD.

Otherwise, stop producing DVD images and require installing from the live KDE distribution.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 18.0

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by nwrickert:

The main point is that I already downloaded the DVD, and firefox is part of what I downloaded. It should be available as an option extra selection when installing from the DVD.

Indeed!
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

The main point is that I already downloaded the DVD, and firefox is part of what I downlo

Well OK, I can sort of see your point. That said, what stopping you from opening the DVD and installing the package from there?

Should all of the packages on the DVD be available as on option extra selection?

The way I see it the DVD is there to give you some choices, mostly related to desktop environment. Additionally the Firefox version on the DVD is 17.0.1, so the more up to date version will still have to be downloaded.

I'd say it's pretty well explained here: »docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed···x86.html - 9.9.Software Selection
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by chrisretusn:

Should all of the packages on the DVD be available as on option extra selection?

The old installer (as in Fedora 17) was a lot more flexible.

The new installer is an unwarranted dumbing down.
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to rexbinary

I always install Debian that way. I am surprised Fedora offers a Wifi option for install. Usually an installer loads minimal drivers. Debian is wired only for a net install. If that seems to be Fedora's main installer issue, people need to stop being lazy and just plug it in

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to nwrickert

said by nwrickert:

said by chrisretusn:

The old installer (as in Fedora 17) was a lot more flexible.

The new installer is an unwarranted dumbing down.

I do agree the new installer needs work. I don't think it's all that bad though. There are a far worse installers out there.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

Kinda sad when the author prefers an Amazon sales platform to that desktop system.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines

Yeah... I am removing that particular platform from all of my systems for that very reason.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!