share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

almost scary, what should I do?

A couple weeks ago I went to eBay to get some affordable IEMs (in ear monitors) for my wife overseas. The vendor sent me IEMs, but a different model of the same manufacturer, a totally different and cheaper (that sells for about 1/3d what the ones they advertised sell for). Not only that, but there was a kink in the wire and after only a couple hours of listening, one channel failed. I didn't notice the kink as being bad right away.

I, upon a few suggestions here at DSLR, when they only offered to either give me 3 dollars back or for my to ship them back to them (the cost would be similar to the purchase and not worth it, because I'd have to walk a distance to mail them), so I said I was unhappy in my reply to them, but got no immediate response. So I negged them, simply saying they shipped the wrong item and it didn't work. That's all I said.

Next thing I know, I get a message to not ship them back (this is a few days later) and they would refund. I said thank you, but they basically said doing so I should remove my neg. I said thank you but no. They refunded me, but I didn't remove the neg. Next they messaged me twice, with a slightly pushy tone, claiming that they don't rip people off and that I should remove the neg.

Ok, so I thought, fine, I'm done with them.

Now fast forward to a few minutes ago: The called my phone and left a message to call them. Talk about pushy! Are they trying to intimdate me into removing the neg? Interestingly, the voice was a thick Mandarin accent.

Can these people make trouble for me? Should I just ignore them? If they keep calling should I tell eBay? It just seems very aggressive to me. What should I do, call them back?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
How'd they get your number?

I doubt they could really cause "trouble" for you, I mean the odds of someone coming to your house to physically hurt you over neg eBay feedback would be slim I'd think.
--
Therapy Chicks

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Can they slam my paypal or neg me on eBay? I have only bought stuff off eBay recently (my budget doesn't permit the kind of spending most people do).

They just seem sort of aggressive. The voice sounded like they were in a busy room with a bunch of phone banks.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to signmeuptoo
Well, change it to neutral then. You can't be unhappy with them if they send you the right stuff and you didn't have to return the wrong thing. They didn't rip you off. (they might have tried, or it was really a mistake)

I don't put negative feedback until I've tried to resolve any problem first.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Send the right stuff? Where did I say that?

They could have offered to send a shipping label immediately. They didn't respond for over 2 days IIRC.

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
said by signmeuptoo:

They didn't respond for over 2 days IIRC.

I don't think 2 days is completely unreasonable.
--
Therapy Chicks

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Send the right stuff? Where did I say that?

They could have offered to send a shipping label immediately. They didn't respond for over 2 days IIRC.

Sorry, you got the refund is what I should have said.

Either way, not much more they can do for you.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to signmeuptoo
Sounds like if not for the negative rep they wouldn't have done things in the first place, so the refund was only done to avoid having the negative rep.

I'd leave it personally.

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to signmeuptoo
If you got your money back they didn't rip you off, however that doesn't mean the product wasn't the wrong one.

Seeing as they did the right thing and refunded you (with some hassle) I would change it to a neutral feedback (or a low negative) and explain, while they refunded the money it they still sent the wrong product and did not take action until you put up the negative.

People will usually read the negative but gloss over the positive, I would still se it as a negative but they at least made the attempt to make things right by refunding the whole amount which is the least they could have done.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
How do I go about making the feedback neutral, I am not familiar with the mechanics of ebay. I will give them a neutral, but is it too late to do so?

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road
reply to signmeuptoo
»pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/rev···ack.html

If you don't have those emails, you'll have to ask ebay how to do it.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
If they refunded you, you should either retract the negative review OR change it to neutral.

Whether or not they made the mistake on purpose is not revelant since they have already went over and beyond the call of duty.

As you mentioned that you don't understand the mechanics of eBay, but a negative can really screw a business up. I do a little bit of selling on eBay, even though my feedback score is 190 or so, a negative would take my rating to about 80% (since I don't do much business) and that would basically destroy my ability to do business in the future. (it would be a slight decrease in score -- but with a rating of 80%, it would look like I ripped off 40 people) My current rating is 100%, and I plan to keep it at that. (this meant 1 refund in 10 years when someone claimed they got damaged goods..who knows)

A neutral has no effect on score or rating.

That's why they are calling you.

Their next step could be to escalate it to eBay itself to show that they dealt with you in good faith, refunding you and allowing you to keep the damaged good. eBay could then put a warning onto your account.

Not trying to be rude, but as a seller, I would not want to deal with someone like you.

Also noted, as per eBay rules, you really should have gone through them first before posting negative...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
talk about a rush to judgement:

Jeff, I did contact them, and it took them a while to get back to me. They said they would issue a partial refund, and then said I could ship it back (when the cost was about what the phones were worth). I said I wasn't happy about it, and I came to DSLR and asked others what to do after saying that:

They shipped headphones that sell, new, for about 1/3rd what the ones in the photo were. They shipped them damaged. They didn't get right back to me, and it wasn't until after I negged that they issued the refund.

A number of folks here at DSLR advised me to neg. I was hesitant to, because for one, I've only bought 3 or 4 things so far and never wanted to do so, but was advised to do so.

I don't know if that is a veiled insult, but I wouldn't want to do business with you either, as quick as you rushed to judgement on me.

Fact is, I am trying to reach them since late yesterday afternoon and they aren't responding so far. I sent them two emails saying I will amend, change, update, whatever they want, just please advise on how to go about it.

After I looked at the photos on their auction, it was evident that they used factory photo for one image and then a the phones in a worse image. That is more than a little suspicious.

But don't worry, I'll try to avoid business dealings with you, as I too don't want to do such with you, either. God bless.
--

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to signmeuptoo
Did they leave you feedback? Just wondering if they left you positive/negative/neutral feedback for the transaction.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I don't know, I thought they don't do that any longer?

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

Did they leave you feedback? Just wondering if they left you positive/negative/neutral feedback for the transaction.

Sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers. I no longer leave feedback for any buyers. I have resorted to selling all of my items as non working part only, because people want a new unused item for 1/100th of what wallmart has it for. I have well over 2k sales and about 1/2 of the sales over the last year have been pain in the ass

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to signmeuptoo
Guess it's been a long time since I've bought or sold anything on eBay. Didn't know they changed the feedback for buyers.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
Ok, I revised it to positive and that it was resolved, in view of how frustrating it must be for sellers.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by signmeuptoo:

Ok, I revised it to positive and that it was resolved, in view of how frustrating it must be for sellers.

Well doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the feedback system? You have the opportunity to help someone else avoid going through the same headache you did. Instead it appears you let the seller bully you in to posting a positive review for a negative transaction.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to signmeuptoo
I'm not trying to be rude, but eBay has changed rules that make selling almost not worth it. If you're not happy with what you get, you should go through the proper channels first, before doing negative feedback. As I mentioned, a negative can destroy your ability to sell anything. (I won't buy from anyone with less than 99% rating because it shows me that they cannot deal with their customers properly)--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Proper channels?

So if their response to my complaint isn't good enough, I should go through some theoretical channel, before complaining? You ignore that I did that, and I clarified that point, and you still ignore it.

So for you, its' carte blanche...
--

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I'm not trying to be rude, but eBay has changed rules that make selling almost not worth it. If you're not happy with what you get, you should go through the proper channels first, before doing negative feedback. As I mentioned, a negative can destroy your ability to sell anything. (I won't buy from anyone with less than 99% rating because it shows me that they cannot deal with their customers properly) However, a occasional seller could be seriously burned by a neg comment. (and lose out)

For your own peace of mind, though, make purchases through your credit card. Doing a charge-back, although a serious violation of the rules of eBay and PayPal, it gets the seller attention if they're screwing around on you. I did this once for a $450 item that was never mailed...it got mailed after Mastercard took $450 away from them. I never got in trouble...but the item was mailed 2 days later, after received it, I paid for the item again.

If you really think that a seller can make every person they sell to happy, especially considering your attitude toward sellers? Ebay is a freaking yard sale its not best-buy. You realize that a seller with 80+ positive feedback in a 12 month period can have >99% when one stupid buyer is unable to read, right. It is people like you that think ebay=retail store that has made ebay a pain in the ass to sell at.