spc
uniqs

mepadre
join:2003-08-15
Waterloo, ON

mepadre to HarryH3

to HarryH3

Re: Sump Pump - Discharge riser freezing

Agreed. I am going to pick up some Big-O end caps and some Roxul or comparable insulation to stuff in for the winter. Will also pick up a short run of pipe heating cable for this cold snap. Will also look at external insulation options but need to be conscious of the fact that this area is the front entrance to my house.

There are no gas appliances in this area. The vents are for air circulation and moisture which is a bigger issue in the summer. Obviously, vents in the winter are causing me issues and will be filled for the season.

I will find out whether insulating the vents and leaving on a 100w bulb holds temperature.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

wrap the pipe in a blanket then bury it under some sand.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to mepadre

MVM

to mepadre
said by mepadre:

I will find out whether insulating the vents and leaving on a 100w bulb holds temperature.

The heat tape is going to do the job better and consume less power than a 100w bulb. Plus it's going to have a thermostat on it so it's only going to kick on when it's needed.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

BTW, does anyone know what is the best way to insulate that old oil vent hole he has?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by hm :

BTW, does anyone know what is the best way to insulate that old oil vent hole he has?

Id sprayfoam it shut.