state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to Mele20

Re: Some issues now?

My understanding is that the number of members that this affected is relatively small, so the low number of views is understandable.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

My expectation is that the number of members who ever modify the site appearance--site style (theme)/minibar--is relatively small. In that sense, "affected" could indeed represent a "small" number. But since we've had no actual explanation of the problem--something of great interest to the affected, it's hard to really judge... one could also say that everyone was affected but only a relative few have noticed(?).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

said by NotTheMama:

one could also say that everyone was affected but only a relative few have noticed(?).

No, that's not the case.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

What I'm actually asking is: Did anyone who did have non-default settings for site style and minibar not lose their settings due to this problem?
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to state

I sure wish this site would make it possible to permanently delete any blocked IMs WITHOUT having to first see them! (The point of blocking in the first place is that you don't wish to read IMs from a certain member).

The "unread" IMs at the top of every page were from members (mostly NON members and many years INactive accounts members going all the way back to Justin's last IM purge which I think I recall was in 2004). The site was not showing any members where I had blocked IMs from them as my settings got UNremembered by whatever happened yesterday. I clicked on one name I didn't remember at all. It was three previously blocked IMs from a FORMER member back in 2007! The first of the three blocked messages was a series of 4 letter words.
I deleted them. I did not enjoy having to see them before I could delete. Yes, I could ignore reading them carefully but ones that are just nasty four letter words are hard to completely ignore when deleting.

With the other formerly blocked IMs, at the top of the page, I went to the member page for each (most were deactivated accounts from years ago) and reset to block IMs and then the site removed the IM message at the top of the page for these accounts. There were a couple of former members who had removed their accounts entirely yet there were IMs from them up at the top of the page. There was no way to reblock IMs from them.

There really needs to be a way to delete all blocked IMs without having to show them first!

I am very grateful though that none of the IMs that I have from members not blocked (the vast majority of members over the years) are all still there. Some of them contain really useful information that I refer to frequently so I am happy I did not lose any of them.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

What I'm actually asking is: Did anyone who did have non-default settings for site style and minibar not lose their settings due to this problem?

Yes. It appears to have only affected users who were active during a relatively short time frame.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

"We few, we happy few..."
"...we band of buggered."
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to tmpchaos

said by tmpchaos:

said by NotTheMama:

Yes. It appears to have only affected users who were active during a relatively short time frame.

That makes sense. I was trying to upload screenshots when it happened and the site kept saying "got 100%" but then when I would re-preview they would not be there so I tried several more times and then got 504 and 500 errors. So, I guess I was inviting problems by continuing to try to upload the screenshots.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

1 recommendation

^ She did it!!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

Whoooooee!!!! I am so powerful I brought the site down...Whoa!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I sure wish this site would make it possible to permanently delete any blocked IMs WITHOUT having to first see them! (The point of blocking in the first place is that you don't wish to read IMs from a certain member).

The "unread" IMs at the top of every page were from members (mostly NON members and many years INactive accounts members going all the way back to Justin's last IM purge which I think I recall was in 2004). The site was not showing any members where I had blocked IMs from them as my settings got UNremembered by whatever happened yesterday. I clicked on one name I didn't remember at all. It was three previously blocked IMs from a FORMER member back in 2007! The first of the three blocked messages was a series of 4 letter words.
I deleted them. I did not enjoy having to see them before I could delete. Yes, I could ignore reading them carefully but ones that are just nasty four letter words are hard to completely ignore when deleting.

With the other formerly blocked IMs, at the top of the page, I went to the member page for each (most were deactivated accounts from years ago) and reset to block IMs and then the site removed the IM message at the top of the page for these accounts. There were a couple of former members who had removed their accounts entirely yet there were IMs from them up at the top of the page. There was no way to reblock IMs from them.

There really needs to be a way to delete all blocked IMs without having to show them first!

I am very grateful though that none of the IMs that I have from members not blocked (the vast majority of members over the years) are all still there. Some of them contain really useful information that I refer to frequently so I am happy I did not lose any of them.

I agree with this... I've had the flashing IM message blinking for two weeks since I knew it was from a member here I care not to talk to.. since it got on my nerves I just opened it and clicked ok and went back to browsing the site.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

... I was trying to upload screenshots when it happened and the site kept saying "got 100%" but then when I would re-preview they would not be there so I tried several more times ...

I was trying to upload a graphic repeatedly with identical results so...
said by Mele20:

...I brought the site down ...

And I helped!