how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickdry21

join:2009-05-15
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Starting salary for a software developer in Montreal?

I finished school a little while ago with a degree in Computer Science from the University of Guelph. I'm looking to start my career in software development in the next couple of months and I have no idea what a reasonable starting salary would be for an entry level position.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
said by quickdry21:

I finished school a little while ago with a degree in Computer Science from the University of Guelph. I'm looking to start my career in software development in the next couple of months and I have no idea what a reasonable starting salary would be for an entry level position.

Its going to vary pretty widely between employers and employment environments (benefits vs. pay) - but in general you're probably going to be in the 50k - 60k/year range in Montreal. You would probably do significantly better in Toronto.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Starting loading apps into google play and Itunes and sell them for 99c. Just imagine if only 1 million chinese users buy it. Dont wait for a salary, go out and grab a slice of the pie. I wish I was an app developer......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to quickdry21
Starting salary for a junior developer in Montreal is going to be low to mid 40s... not 50-60k.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
reply to quickdry21
40-50k is your bracket
Expand your moderator at work

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to quickdry21

Re: Starting salary for a software developer in Montreal?

People still hire local Canadian Software developers?

That's one of the first jobs you're supposed to offshore.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by CanadianRip:

You could always offshore it yourself and keep the difference like this guy did:

»securityblog.verizonbusiness.com···ore-2659

They fired him - but they probably should have promoted him to head of the yet to be started outsourcing program. Maybe they would have if it wasn't for the tiny detail of confidentiality and security...
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
The problem with that guy was that he worked with "sensitive data".
--
Tom

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

Then you have to pay some consultants to fix the snafus coming back
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
reply to quickdry21
I don't see outsourced devs replacing anyone at my work. Every time we outsource anything we either end up spending a fortune to bring it back in-house and productize it, or it's barely-serviceable crap. I'm sure there are a few good outsource shops, I just haven't seen any.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to quickdry21
Somewhat on topic - but mods, if this isn't allowed feel free to edit/delete my post, but I need to hire a S/W developer to work in the engineering department at my office (we're a small start-up) and I'm having an impossible time finding someone. I'm open to PM's from anyone who feels they have some pretty good skills regarding building a pretty comprehensive industrial s/w application built on open source pieces and perhaps a good chunk of custom code to tie it all together. I can give a lot more details "off the forum". The caveat (all jobs have them) is the person would have to work in Iroquois, ON.