spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DaveRb
join:2005-02-12
Allen, TX

DaveRb

[OS X] CCleaner 1.06.208 on iMac 21.5 inch Late 2009 Mountain Li

When running CCleaner 1.06.208 on Mountain Lion Version 10.8.2 it will come back with CLEANING COMPLETE but System - Logs will still show files which keep incrementing, currently as 30 files 17,640 KB. No big deal really but how does one get rid of those files??? I am probably being anal....... Disk utility shows disks are good and there are no issues with permissions. iMac is running with no issues. 21.5 inch Late 2009 with 16 GB 1067 DDR3. Yes I am probably being anal............. scuse the language

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Re: [OS X] CCleaner 1.06.208 on iMac 21.5 inch Late 2009 Mountai

Not sure why you want to get rid of log files....yet alone 18mbs of them. Could be useful in the future.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

2 recommendations

dennismurphy to DaveRb

Premium Member

to DaveRb
Stop using shit tools like that on the Mac and go on with life. Totally unnecessary garbage software.

unavailable
@tds.net

unavailable to DaveRb

Anon

to DaveRb
CCleaner on Windows? Hard to live without.

CCleaner on OSX? Hard to justify. [It sucks on OS X]

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to DaveRb

Premium Member

to DaveRb
If you want to use a "cleaner" for OS X, you may want to use OnyX:

»www.macupdate.com/app/ma ··· 582/onyx

OnyX 2.6.6 is for Mountain Lion. I've run the 'Automation' process with OnyX many times with SL and Lion on two 21.5" iMacs. I've never had an issue running it. However, as with any type of cleaner, there is no guarantee that it will not adversely affect the OS. It never has with me though.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel to dennismurphy

Premium Member

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

Stop using shit tools like that on the Mac and go on with life. Totally unnecessary garbage software.

I haven't seen what it does, but I tend to put CCleaner, Onyx, Mac Cleanse, and others all in the same bucket. To me, they all work about the same.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by acadiel:

said by dennismurphy:

I haven't seen what it does, but I tend to put CCleaner, Onyx, Mac Cleanse, and others all in the same bucket. To me, they all work about the same.

Agreed. All bullshit snake oil.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

said by acadiel:

said by dennismurphy:

Agreed. All bullshit snake oil.

They do have useful tools. One quick example is if you have multiple web browsers and use them all, it will clear the caches for them in one shot. A lot of the other tools are tools familiar to UNIX admins with a fancy GUI put on them. However, most of them are already scheduled to run on a regular basis.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

The last time I needed to clear a browser cache was ....?

Netscape 1.1?

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

The tools do clean a bunch of application caches in ~/Library as well, so if you are really tight on disk space (like a SSD in a MacBook Air), I could see where that would come in pretty handy. I run them about every six months or so (I actually use Mac Cleanse), and it frees probably 4-5GB of crap.