uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Ubuntu phones

Anyone know if Verizon has a Ubuntu phone? Or an Android that runs Ubuntu? I am considering a phone upgrade and read about this... very intriguing!!

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

Technically, yes there's an Ubuntu Phone on Verizon (Galaxy Nexus) but I believe they plan on making it more widely available (in terms of supporting specific minimum hardware) but it will not be an "off the shelf" solution the way I understand it right now. Although I am sure in time that will come along with being able to grab a phone off the shelf with Ubuntu OS on it already.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Interesting... I'm currently mulling my options for my upgrade due in March. I have a basic phone now, so I'm not locked into any ecosystem. I have always admired Ubuntu... and their demo of docking the phone and turning it into a PC is impressive. Not sure if it beats an S3/4 or an iPhone... but worth investigating.

Do you know anything about it? (Or can anyone else chime in with their 2 cents? )
87062379 (banned)
join:2013-01-22
USA

1 recommendation

87062379 (banned) to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
What would be an advantage to an android running Ubuntu?

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

Both are Linux based operating systems. I watched the Ubuntu video where the founder went into his vision and benefits of the Ubuntu OS and the goal is to have a unified experience across all devices...

Ubuntu Smart TV
Ubuntu Smartphone
Ubuntu Desktop/Laptop
etc...with a unified experience across all platforms. What I gathered from the presentation is that they're trying to outdo Apple in the user experience game.
87062379 (banned)
join:2013-01-22
USA

87062379 (banned)

Thanks, I will have to check that video out.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to 87062379

Premium Member

to 87062379
said by 87062379:

What would be an advantage to an android running Ubuntu?

does.not.compute
AVD

AVD to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
there is a developer on xda that has got a basic launcher that emulates the ubuntu launcher.

If all you care about is the Ui, check it out.