PoE?

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1
reply to Some1 SaveMe

As someone who can relate being in the tech's shoes I would probably stare too because YOU are the person in charge, you are the person I would be looking to for leadership.

I would also keep my mouth shut if I don't know what the issue could be as I'm just a tech I might be right or lucky to be right but honestly I would feel really stupid if I opened my mouth and was way wrong and we just spent wasting time while our entire network is down.

Glad you figured it out.
--
That was the wild boar.... Moo!
My podcast: The Banzai Beat »www.banzaibeat.com

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

said by Chiyo:

As someone who can relate being in the tech's shoes I would probably stare too because YOU are the person in charge, you are the person I would be looking to for leadership.

I would also keep my mouth shut if I don't know what the issue could be as I'm just a tech I might be right or lucky to be right but honestly I would feel really stupid if I opened my mouth and was way wrong and we just spent wasting time while our entire network is down.

Glad you figured it out.

Early on in my IT career I was sent out to a remote site on a weekend by myself to figure out why their entire (single vlan) network was down. Never having seen a switch loop in person before, I still noticed that something was awry with the lights on the switches. Didn't take me long to figure it out.

If I were one of the techs in the OP's situation, I would be standing there wondering why my boss was having such a hard time coming up with a diagnosis.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to BeanBag

@BeanBag
Plug the TV into a home router and run wireshark. Probably spitting out some non-regulation frames / packets.

Regards

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to Some1 SaveMe

Oh the fun.
...it never ends...

STP. Yes. Do it. Do it today.
Plan changes, make them happen. There is only so much a person can do in a day. Make the most of each one, and work steadily towards making things better. Newsflash - you're probably going to have to work during off-times. Welcome to the life of an admin...

As for your techs, get them to write their own procedures, ASAP. Tell them to at re-write the existing ones, file them electronically, and update continually. Have them store said procedures in a knowledgebase of some kind. Make them get in the routine of documenting their work well enough for others to learn.
When I started as a tech where I am now, I had to do it. Don't be google for them.

Change control. I'd like to have more of that someday. We started making sure that some things are done with approval, but there is much to be done on this front.

As for working hard - only you can answer that.
I bust my ass.
I probably have more (and worse) gripes than you, but may or may not be as vocal.
I probably make less than you, and several others here.
I probably have at least as much chaos to deal with as everyone here.
I still think it's worth it for me to do the best I can. The experience alone is priceless.
Sometimes, you just have to suck it up, and keep on going.

Lastly - it can always be worse. Count what blessings you do have, and be thankful for the good things.

kc8jwt

join:2005-10-27
Syracuse, OH
reply to Some1 SaveMe

As other posters have said here, taking ownership of the problem is the first thing as an admin you need to do. There have been many times something was supposed to get done for me and it didn't happen. As I look at it, the only person to blame is me for the issue.

As with the two people that you have working under you, take the the time to try and mentor them. On slow days, inject a small issue that won't harm anything and then set them loose on fixing it. Prod them along in the right direction, but don't show them the problem. I work in a vocational school and from time to time I have students that work with me. A good thing for them to do is I give them a computer with a fairly simple issue to fix. I then tell them to troubleshoot it and then evaluate.

I've had my share of loops here on our network, and it usually takes me 10 minutes tops to find them. STP keeps a lid on them for the most part, but again, educating and mentoring the techs you have will get you freed up so you can work on all of those other projects that you have.