how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jayntoni

join:2013-01-13
Rockdale, TX

DSL issues - intermittent connections and slow speed

I have had AT&T DSL for years and I have the Elite 6Mbps package. Until recently, I have never had an issue and have always received close to the max speeds that I pay for. As of two weeks ago, things have really went downhill.

On Sunday, 1/13, I noticed that my internet speeds seemed sluggish. Around noon, I ran a couple of speed tests that averaged about 4Mbps. That was noticeably slower but I chalked it up to a short term anomaly. At 7pm that night, I tested again and it was up to 5Mps. Still slower than normal but acceptable.

The next day, Monday 1/14 at around noon, my internet goes down and then right back up. The broadband light on the modem would flash red, would then go green, and the service light would turn green. About 2 minutes later, the internet would go down, the broadband light would flash red, then turn green, and the service light would turn green. This up and down every two minutes continued for about 4 hours and I called ATT DSL support.

The support tech had me go through the scripted steps of modem rebooting and whatnot. That did not work. She ran diagnostics from her end and said that she could see my connection going up and down from her side. She then said she was having another tech do something with my line. Whatever that was did not work either. After 30 minutes, a technician was scheduled to come to my house. He was scheduled for Friday 1/18.

About an hour after I hung up with support (now around 5:30), my internet comes back up and stays up. It also stayed up through Tues, Wed, and Thurs. By then, I had figured that ATT had located the issue and fixed it. On Thurs afternoon, I decided to cancel the service call since everything was working and did so.

Everything was fine through Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon as well. On Tuesday 1/22 around 1pm, the on/off connection issues reared its ugly head again. I called ATT support again and after the scripted walk through to reboot and whatnot, a technician was scheduled for Wednesday at noon.

Low and behold, around 5:30 Tuesday, the internet came back up and decided to stay up again. This time, I did not cancel the appointment for Wednesday. I wanted ATT to look at everything and make sure it was okay.

The service guy shows up on Wednesday 1/23 and everything is working. He tests my lines anyway and says that although signals weren't perfect, they were in acceptable ranges. I only have two lines running into my house from the ATT box outside and they are both Cat-5. Both lines have an indoor filter on them. While the service guy was in the ATT box, he noticed that one of my Cat-5 lines also had an outdoor filter on them. He said that filter was just like the indoor filters and took it out, thinking it could cause more interference than help. I don't see why that would be since it has worked in that configuration for years but he should know more than I so I said nothing. Now both Cat-5 lines that go inside the house are direct connected to the terminals in the ATT box.

Since he left, the internet has went down three times and right back up again. They all happened on Wednesday between 2 and 4 and were never one right after the other. It was down, right back up, and stay up for 30 to 45 minutes and then repeat. After those 3 episodes, it has not went back down up to this posting.

Only time will tell if the issue is resolved. After all, it was a little over a week between the last two episodes described above. What I do know now though is that my internet is noticeably slower. I tested several times today 1/24 and I am getting right at 3Mbps on every test when I should be hitting around 6Mbps. I am certain that the slow speeds are due to something that occurred while ATT tried to correct the fiasco above (what support did from the offices or what the service guy did with my filter) but at this point, I am just trying to get things back to normal.

Apologies for the long post but I thought it important to line out everything that has went on the past two weeks since nobody has been able to figure the true issue out yet. Appreciate any help or suggestions.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
Did you ever use the RESET button? I went through the various reboot sequences with and without phone support after downgrading from 6M to 768K had me with light sequences similar to yours. Those reboots did not work. Using the reset button properly did. Of course I had to go back into the gateway's user interface and set up the gateway's configuration.

jayntoni

join:2013-01-13
Rockdale, TX
Thank you for the suggestion David. I did the reset button and it wiped out everything, including all of my information to connect, just like you said it would do.

I set it all back up and now I am once again connected but the speed remains the same....stuck at 3Mbps when I should be getting 6Mbps. Hopefully, the up/down issue is corrected but I still need to get the speed issue corrected as well. Thanks again for the suggestion.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
I had a similar issue last week, with sync at 1472 bits/sec when I'm paying for 3008. Posted in AT&T Direct and they checked for me, suggesting that it was either a bad port in their network or my modem was going bad. Meanwhile it came back up to speed, but intermittent loss of sync continued. Since my 3347 is only about a year old, I'm simply waiting to see what happens -- but I suspect they have quite a few network problems in this area and are scrambling to keep ahead of them.

I'm served through the Richardson facilities, so it's definitely possible that you and I are seeing aspects of the same problem...

Incidentally, the usual method of clearing transient problems from the modem is to power-cycle it: unplug its power cord, wait at least 10 seconds, then plug it back in and let it go through its boot procedures. I've not seen any recommendation that the actual reset button/switch be used, except when making firmware changes...
--
Jim Kyle

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
It was very weird that I had any problem at all with the ordered speed downgrade. AT&T in the past, for no apparent reason, would throttle me from 6.0 to 3.0. Sometimes they would take me down to 1.5. My modem's DSL and internet would run fine no matter how much they took me up or down. So I figure that speed tiers were controlled elsewhere in the network. When I ordered a downgrade I figured it would be set at the DSLAM or CO with a signal that did not interrupt service. It did interrupt service. The phone support person called it a synchronization problem, but he never suggested using the reset, just power cycles and various sequences of connecting phone line and Ethernet cables. None of those worked.