Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Devanchya

Re: harmony remotes RIP

Found this on Logitech's support forum:

quote:
This is Bracken Darrell, CEO of Logitech. Logitech just publicly announced a plan to hold the Harmony business for sale. Logitech is not shutting down the Harmony business and certainly not the service.

This corporate announcement does not impact Logitech’s commitment to our Harmony customers. During the sale, Logitech will continue to provide customer support for Harmony customers. All current warranties provided by Logitech for Harmony products remain unchanged at this time.

We very much appreciate our loyal Harmony community and will continue to support and communicate with our customers. Check back here for future updates on this topic.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for Logitech Harmony.

Regards,
Bracken Darrell
I love how they're committed to supporting the Harmony line until they get rid of it. What a useless commitment.
--
Tom

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

"I Shall Support you Madam, until I murder you in your sleep"...

Seems rather like a British Sitcom type of statement either way you say it (the CEO's or mine)
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TLS2000

Logitech has never supported Harmony customers before, why should they start now?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

I love how they're committed to supporting the Harmony line until they get rid of it. What a useless commitment.

Why - or how - can they commit to anything else? I mean, if they sell the division it's no longer their decision to make, is it not?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Gone:

Why - or how - can they commit to anything else? I mean, if they sell the division it's no longer their decision to make, is it not?

A proper commitment would have been to ensure people that Logitech would continue to support legacy devices, or that they would release software to program your remote that does not require a connection to the Harmony website to program your remote.

If someone takes over Harmony but decides that they aren't going to support legacy devices, then all of those previous remotes will be stuck with whatever programming they have already on them. That is a big F U to their customers.

The reasons that the Harmony line has been lagging are twofold.

1) Logitech barely supported it to begin with. The Harmony Link app for Android didn't have Jelly Bean support for more than a year. They were still selling brand new Harmony Link devices specifically telling people it supported Android and anyone with a newer Android device was finding out that there was in fact ZERO support for it. They also changed the programming interface to a dumbed down web interface which made it much harder to customize your remote configurations. That means they actually took a couple steps back in what the remotes could do.

2) Logitech tried to force the market to adapt to what they wanted to develop. This can be seen in the Harmony Touch device, which has a convoluted interface and doesn't feel like a natural remote no matter what you do. They also had artificial device limits on their lower end remotes (650, 700 can only support 8 device, a lot of other remotes can support 15). It was proven to be artificial when someone went from a 550 (low, low end device) to a 700 with more than 8 devices and the software programmed the 700 for all of the devices.

Actually, I'm going to add a third reason:

3) The hardware has become unreliable over the last few years. I bought a 650 for my sister for Christmas a few years ago and it lasted about 11 months before dying. My friend has a 700 that has buttons that don't work. I hear this time and time again from people who have Harmony remotes.

The Harmony Link was a revolutionary product. It connects to your home Wifi and you can use your iDevice or Android device to control your home theatre system. Logitech developed a beautiful app for the iPad, a less beautiful one for the iPhone and left Android phones (not tablets) with a crappy looking app that looks like it was thrown together. Only recently have they allowed that crappy looking app to work on Android tablets.

Their total lack of support for their devices is the cause of their downfall. I have no faith that they will even attempt to get whoever buys the division to continue support of the hundreds of dollars worth of devices that I have purchased from them. I also highly doubt that they will support their legacy devices after they sell off the division. If my Harmony Link stops working for that reason, I will stop buying Logiitech devices.

I'm a huge fan of Logitech's devices too. I use their keyboards, mice, gamepads, remotes and speakers. Hopefully they get a clue and return to their old ways of actually providing support that people want.
--
Tom