All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

ez2cy

Keep getting sent to a "Babylon search"

Don't have babylon search but I keep getting it. How do I get rid of it?
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Run a full system scan with each of these programs to remove it and it's friends from your computer.
»www.superantispyware.com/
»www.filehippo.com/downlo ··· malware/

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

sbconslt to ez2cy

to ez2cy
I had a customer that sustained this. It was a persistent one. To disinfect it required boot scans with Spybot S&D. Ordinary scans in session context would not remove it.
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

ez2cy

Sorry, don't understand "boot scans". I have spybot and use it but it's not getting it.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Go into Advanced mode, then do Settings > "System start" > "Run program once at next system startup"
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

2 recommendations

PrntRhd to ez2cy

Premium Member

to ez2cy
»Security Cleanup

Babylon Supp
@apexcovantage.com

Babylon Supp to ez2cy

Anon

to ez2cy
Hey

Try to use the follow method to remove Babylon:

• Uninstall the Babylon in Programs and Features.
• Check if the babylon Toolbar is still there in Tools>Manage Add-ons>Toolbars and extentions, if it still there, disable that(select and hit disable button)
• Remove the Babylon homepage(Tools>Internet Options> general>Homepage(change it towww.google.com or use blank).
• Check if the babylon is raising up when we open a new tab in the same window( Click on add tab in the Internet explorer)
• if it is comming up still it might be that you need to remove Babylon from your registry
• follow the steps:
• Windows+R on desktop> Type Regedit and hit ok button> Select computers> hit Ctrl+F> Type Babylon in the search box and hit "Find Next" button.
• That brings up the Babylon regestry control just Delete it(Hit Del and Enter),Search again(Just hit F3) and delete all the babylon controls.
• Repeat the above step untill search says: "Finished Searching through the Regestry" when you hit F3.
• Click ok button.
• Restart the computer(Optional)

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

1 edit

1 recommendation

TheJoker

MVM

"Babylon support" has also tried posting at SWI previously, and of course the programs they said that need to be uninstalled to remove it are not present in the list of installed programs. In this case they suggest manually editing the Registry to remove it, and if someone isn't familiar with the Registry that can cause issues all by itself. There's much more to remove than listed above by their so called "support" schill. AdwCleaner by Xplode can remove this foistware.

http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

You can also post in »Security Cleanup to see what else may be on the system.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Babylon Supp

Premium Member

to Babylon Supp
said by Babylon Supp :

Hey

Try to use the follow method to remove Babylon: ...

Any outfit that uses covert methods of installing their foistware, buries that foistware so deeply that its full removal requires special assistance and tools, and whose trail of woe appears all over the Internet (as demonstrated by even the most basic search-engine results) is an outfit whose "support" trustworthiness isn't worth half the electrons mildly inconvenienced in the presentation of their so-called advice. Assuming, of course, that such "anonymous" support postings are even legitimately associated with 'Babylon'...
Expand your moderator at work
ChrisMartin
join:2013-01-29

ChrisMartin to Babylon Supp

to Babylon Supp

Re: Keep getting sent to a "Babylon search"

i had the same problem with Google Chrome, and actually found this site from Babylon which i have found useful, at least for my case

Give it a try:
»www.babylon.com/uninstal ··· ch/index
Expand your moderator at work

TheJoker
MVM
Charlottesville, VA

1 recommendation

TheJoker to ChrisMartin

MVM

to ChrisMartin

Re: Keep getting sent to a "Babylon search"

When they already coded it to not show up in Add or Remove Programs, or Programs and Features (depending on your version of Windows) I would not trust a removal tool from the foistware provider. Remember, it installed without your knowledge in the first place. What will the uninstaller really do?
ChrisMartin
join:2013-01-29

ChrisMartin

Hey Joker

You might be right in most cases, but I am usually looking at the source where I got the program from,, I am not so familiar with Babylon but was a bit surprised to see they do have a special removal page, and I must admit it did work for me...

TheJoker
MVM
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker

MVM

I took a look at their removal page, and it seems it's not an uninstaller, just a manual method for removal.

You may want to take a look at this topic:
»Re: SafeSearch hijack
Particularly for the use of AdwCleaner by Xplode to remove Babylon Toolbar. I would give it a try and see now much was left that their manual method left behind.

It's a nice tool mentioned here:
»download.cnet.com/8301-2 ··· rograms/
And also in this topic here:
»Security Toolkit: Best 4 lesser known Malware programs

If you try the tool, please report back on what leftovers AdwCleaner found and removed.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
"No functioning uninstaller" means they're either malicious or incompetent. It scarcely matters which; either way you don't want their crap.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to ez2cy

Premium Member

to ez2cy
ez2cy, you didn't say which browser you use, which you are having an issue with..

i heard someone say one time that they were trying to remove some crap from their google chrome browser but that it kept coming back.. apparently the problem was that the "settings" were stored "in the cloud" and so the crap was being restored, automatically, "from the cloud"..

"firefox" has a new "sync" feature which probably is similar to google's "cloud", for their "chrome" browser..

so, you might have to look into cleaning up the "cloud" stuff, in order to get rid of the babylon-search..