uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Adalicia

to Adalicia

Re: [Lore] I've never read ANY lore...where EXACTLY should I sta

It's a little...bleh...But, Ive had a few brewskis, getting used to kindle for PC, and been interrupted on the phone a few times. Going to pick up chapter 2 tomorrow with a fresh mind.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

fair warning, Knaak is starting the book by changing the past... a past that was laid out in the Warcraft books. It will pick up once he's made it his own story.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

Its been a good three years since I've read that particular trilogy but if memory serves me it is pretty brutal in terms of build up, takes a while. I do however remember that once the ball gets rolling it doesn't particularly stop.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof

Ya WotA starts off pretty slow but then you will start recognizing some of the characters then it really starts to pick up. Knaak doesnt have a real talent for world building like Martin. I actually prefer Christie Golden.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

Most people prefer Golden.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

The parents came in town...just left today. Picking the book back up tonight, I'll post my opinions as they come to me.
McBrain

1 edit

McBrain to Adalicia

to Adalicia
I'm about 1/3 through the book...Knaak's style is...interesting. He's incredibly descriptive; sometimes to excess, I think.

At this particular point, I'm most interested to see how Brox's story plays out. Knaak makes me think he's the John Wayne of orcs.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by McBrain:

Knaak makes me think he's the John Wayne of orcs.

a fitting description. Bronx is my favorite Orc of all time (well... he only had to beat 2, but he is one of my favorite lore characters).

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Got up to the part where Tyrande, Malfurion, and now Illidan are going to try to break him out...meanwhile Krasus and Rhonin are 'guests' of Cenarius.

The wife hasn't felt well the past couple of days, so my progress is slow but steady...its impossible to read while watching a 2 year old, and nearly as difficult to do so while Real Housewives of Atlanta is blaring in the background at bed time...

I'm trudging along, Knaak increasing the pace has definitely helped out...but boy, this book started slow. For about the first 50 pages I was really having a hard time staying interested; the past 100 or so have been wonderful.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to McBrain

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

At this particular point, I'm most interested to see how Brox's story plays out. Knaak makes me think he's the John Wayne of orcs.

Brox is what made the book for me, i loved his story arc. Ya Knaak has plenty of descriptive words for things like trees and bushes...long winded for sure.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

said by Josof:

said by McBrain:

Brox is what made the book for me, i loved his story arc. Ya Knaak has plenty of descriptive words for things like trees and bushes...long winded for sure.

Brox crested the hill and and beheld the tall, strong trunk of the great pine. Its' trunk marked with signs of the passage of time, war and disease. He knew the roots were buried deep, spreading their fingers like an old god clawing at the earth. When the wind blew, whispers of secrets passed through the needles telling of the cold winter to come as the pine cones danced in the boughs like orc children in fields of green.

As Brox walked further he spied another pine, its' trunk was much different than the last...OH SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET ON WITH THE STORY ALREADY....

......the night was sultry...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

said by Skittles:

...OH SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET ON WITH THE STORY ALREADY....

......the night was sultry...

Yeah, dude...sometimes I'm like, "what the fuck am I reading...".

Mostly at the parts involving Cenarius or one of the night elf chicks...I think nature might give Knaak a boner, and he might have been better suited writing novels with pics of Fabio on the front.

It's annoying to have a more detailed description of a magical flower than Brox's man-sized, bare handed beat-down of a Fel Hound.