uniqs
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Some1 SaveMe

to Some1 SaveMe

Re: How to take down a network

Couple things.

1. Having myself been the troubleshooter on the end of a switch loop, the problem should have been immediately obvious (to you, I must emphasize) based on the lights on the switches. Depending on how many ports you're working with, start unplugging them one by one. Eventually, you'll unplug the problem port and all of the lights will settle down.

2. You have stacked switches but no STP?

3. You want techs that can't physically touch the network? It almost sounds like you don't want them to do anything, so that's why they aren't.

4. God help you when somebody starts backfeeding DHCP into your system. There's no way you'll be able to figure that one out.

Some1 SaveMe
@vectro.com

Some1 SaveMe

Anon

said by Moffetts:

Couple things.

1. Having myself been the troubleshooter on the end of a switch loop, the problem should have been immediately obvious (to you, I must emphasize) based on the lights on the switches. Depending on how many ports you're working with, start unplugging them one by one. Eventually, you'll unplug the problem port and all of the lights will settle down.

2. You have stacked switches but no STP?

3. You want techs that can't physically touch the network? It almost sounds like you don't want them to do anything, so that's why they aren't.

4. God help you when somebody starts backfeeding DHCP into your system. There's no way you'll be able to figure that one out.

1. It wasn't obvious to me that early in the morning (i'm not a coffee person i just need proper hours of sleep which didn't happen the night before).

2. I couldn't do STP because they wouldn't pay me OT to do it after hours (i'm salary) so what i had in front of me was 7 10/100 dell switches which i consolidated to 4 48 port switches. It should have been upgraded years ago but I swapped them out 1 by 1 during business hours and moved around connections from old to new, it tooks days to complete.

3. It really be beneficial to have other techs that can make changes as long as they understand the implications of what they are doing. Trust me this is not the first time an issue has cropped up, it's the same everytime even when i have went over procedures.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Some1 SaveMe :

2. I couldn't do STP because they wouldn't pay me OT to do it after hours

Your doing it wrong

STP should have been enabled 1st thing, its to easy not to. (unless the powers that be say don't)
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Some1 SaveMe

to Some1 SaveMe
said by Some1 SaveMe :

2. I couldn't do STP because they wouldn't pay me OT to do it after hours (i'm salary)

I would be in the HR doghouse if I used that as an excuse, especially since your not doing so contributed to the downtime.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

said by Some1 SaveMe :

2. I couldn't do STP because they wouldn't pay me OT to do it after hours (i'm salary)

I would be in the HR doghouse if I used that as an excuse, especially since your not doing so contributed to the downtime.

Ya and salary doesn't mean you quit because its the time to leave, it means you stay and do what you need to.

I'm also salary and I've stayed past midnight before working on something.

You should expect any major change to have the potential to require sleeping in the office.

Frankly if someone implemented new switches and didn't apply STP then when this happened they'd be out the door fast.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by Some1 SaveMe :

That is WHY they pay salary! Do the job to get it done.