spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nettles
@teksavvy.com

nettles

Anon

Getting 7 mbps on 6 mbps package DSL + cable modem question

This is quite weird....my speedtest results always used to be around 4 mbps when I had 5 mbps DSL (even after it was upgraded to 6 mbps). Now when I do a test, it's always a result of 7 mbps and others on the same package never seem to be getting that.

This started happening directly after some Bell cable was knocked out at the connector and I was without internet for 4 days (this was months back). When it was fixed, the download speed was faster (upload speed is still around 500-600 kbps, never really close to 800). Just wondering what the reason for this could be.

I'm planning on switching to cable internet anyways because I wanna get Ooma or Voip without the dry-loop fee (would also appreciate any modem recommendations for cable and where to get it from) but this almost makes me wanna stay because the connection has been very reliable and streams Netflix nicely, cable on the other hand I always hear mixed reviews for. This is in Mississauga btw.
mattvmotas
Premium Member
join:2010-09-04
Amherstburg, ON

mattvmotas

Premium Member

I routinely get 7Mbps out of my 6Mbps service. My profile actually syncs at 7/800.

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook to nettles

MVM

to nettles
said by nettles :

This is quite weird....my speedtest results always used to be around 4 mbps when I had 5 mbps DSL (even after it was upgraded to 6 mbps). Now when I do a test, it's always a result of 7 mbps and others on the same package never seem to be getting that.

This started happening directly after some Bell cable was knocked out at the connector and I was without internet for 4 days (this was months back). When it was fixed, the download speed was faster (upload speed is still around 500-600 kbps, never really close to 800). Just wondering what the reason for this could be.

Most likely you got switched from a distant CO to a remote DSLAM much closer to you. I don't know why you got the 7Mb/s profile. AFAIK you should only have gotten 6Mb/s.

A similar situation happened to me last year. I'd been getting about 4Mb/s on a 5Mb/s profile with lots of line errors connected to the CO in downtown Kitchener about 3km away. One day speeds dropped to under 2Mb/s. Line stats were horrible. I called TSI who called Bhell. The next day I'm on a new line that's capable of 12Mb/s but on a 6Mb/s profile. Lines stats are great. Turns out it was easier for Bhell to move my line to an RSLAM around the corner than to mess with the old line.

Incidentally at about the same time Bhell started promoting the availability of Fibe Internet and TV in my area. Perhaps they're hoping I'll switch

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to nettles

to nettles
said by nettles :

I'm planning on switching to cable internet anyways because I wanna get Ooma or Voip without the dry-loop fee (would also appreciate any modem recommendations for cable and where to get it from) but this almost makes me wanna stay because the connection has been very reliable and streams Netflix nicely, cable on the other hand I always hear mixed reviews for. This is in Mississauga btw.

you got lucky and put on a new line and a higher profile than you should have.

FDL
@start.ca

FDL to nettles

Anon

to nettles
If you've got a solid DSL connection (perhaps you're now on a nearby remote), and want more speed, you might want to at least consider EBox, and perhaps move up to their 15/1 FTTN DSL, WITH FREE DRY LOOP and only $50 Installation! Your current modem will probably work.

But... check at the Bell site to see if FTTN is available for you.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to PlatooN

to PlatooN
said by PlatooN:

you got lucky and put on a new line and a higher profile than you should have.

Yup, happened to me in the past, too. Too bad I had to move
padenom
join:2008-03-28
Montreal, QC

padenom to nettles

to nettles
You are so lucky. I envy you. Initially I had 5Mbps profile (gave is 6Mbps), which went real 5Mbps after I moved to dry loop and 6months after that I ended up with a 3Mbps line. Have contacted TS a few times and they get away with saying that it is line quality and they can't get Bell to do anything unless I agree to pay!! Plus they always plug-in the DSL technology as being "up to 6Mbps" connection.

nettles
@teksavvy.com

nettles

Anon

I'm actually not looking for more speed. 5 or 7 is fine for me, they both work with streaming even in high quality on Netflix.

What I do want though is to be able to get a Voip phone without having to pay an extra $10+/month for a dry loop. Since I can't do this, I'd have to switch to cable 18. In this case, might as well if you're gonna get the higher speed for paying more instead of spending it on a dry-loop.

Would anyone have cable modem recommendations (assuming I should buy it from TSI?).
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean

VoIP doesn't use much bandwidth. All you need is 0.064Mbps (both up and down). For VoIP, latency and reliability are far more important factors. Ooma uses redundancy, so it should be more robust when packet loss is high (during high congestion time on cable for instance). In theory at least; I've never used Ooma myself.