spc
Search similar:

uniqs
todd54
join:2013-01-25
Humble, TX

todd54

Uverse RJ11 Issue

I was trying to fix some of the structured cabling in my OnQ closet and accidentally cut the wire that leads into the green, RJ 11 plug on the Uverse RG (3800HGV-B). I have tried to put another RJ11 jack onto the cable after watching a couple of Youtube videos, but I'm still not getting a connection. My concern is that I'm pinning it incorrectly. The connection was a little weird and I was trying to fix it and hard wire my internet connection to another room.

The wire has "MAIN" written on it by the builder and it's taped to a wire named "JUMPER" that's not plugged into aything. I copied the pin order from the previous RJ11 jack which was orange, blue on white, blue and orange on white. (I'm not sure which side to start on, but it did match the previous plug.

After I mimic this wire pin set-up, the connection still isn't working. Is there a way to test it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to save myself a visit charge.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Todd

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

blue & blue white should be in the center 2 pins make sure they are pushed as far as they can go when you crimp it, if they arent making a solid conection when you crimp, it wont complete the connection
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to todd54

to todd54
If you still have the rj11 connector you can just look at it to see which wire pair was used. Which wires *should* be used and which wires are *actually* used by the at&t tech are two different things. I just looked at mine and the blue and blue white were not used.

Tech007
Premium Member
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

that would be true as well. I never use blu-wht for actually hooking to the modem(I was assuming it was a pre-made cable) When I run a new cable, I always use grn-wht for data, blu-wht for voice and then org-wht & brw-wht for ethernet
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by Tech007:

I was assuming it was a pre-made cable

I didn't even think about that. If it's a pre-made cable, I'd suggest just buying a new one. Hell, I have spare rj11 cables all over the place. They're kind of like USB A to B printer cables at this point. You get one with everything.
todd54
Humble, TX

todd54

The cable in question comes out of the wall and I'm trying to figure out which wires are the ones that should be in the jack. I m frustrated because I though copying the plug that I replaced would fix the issue. Can I look at the outside box to confirm which twisted pairs are used?

Regarding the quality of the connection, I've crimped it twice trying to get a good connection. Is there a way to test this? Can a voltmeter be used to check which wires are active?

Thanks for the responses.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by todd54:

Can I look at the outside box to confirm which twisted pairs are used?

Absolutely. Head out to the Telco box (aka NID) on the side of your house, typically by your power meter, with a flat head screwdriver. There should be a screw marked "customer access" -- loosen that, then open the door, and see what wires connect to the AT&T service entrance module.

If I had to guess, the wire pair is green/green-white. That is the de facto standard U-Verse techs use for the VDSL2/ADSL2+ (depending on flavor) data feed to the modem

If you need assistance identifying what is what @ the NID, feel free to take a photo & post it. And officially, leave the screws labeled "Telco Access Only" alone...

A little more information on NIDs: »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »NID (Network Interface Device)?
todd54
Humble, TX

todd54

Click for full size
Click for full size
It looks like I may have found part of the problem. Please see the attached pictures of the telecom box. It appears the orange pair are not attached, it's blue and green. It looks like the wiring that Tech007 mentions.

So now my question is how do I pin this for the RJ11 jack that goes into the Uverse Gateway. The cable carries TV and Internet, not voice.
todd54

todd54 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
ILpt4U,
Thanks for the response. I posted the pictures a few minutes ago. You are exactly right, the pairs are green and blue. So I think the next step is to properly wire the RJ11. Do you where to find the diagram for the correct order for the pairs?

Thanks for your help.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to todd54

Premium Member

to todd54
The Green-Green/white pair will terminate to the "middle" pair of an RJ-11 jack or plug. If a 4 pin jack, green goes to pin 2, and green-white goes to pin 3. If a 6 pin jack, green goes to pin 3, and green-white goes to pin 4

Do you also have AT&T home phone service (POTS or U-Voice VoIP)?
todd54
Humble, TX

todd54

I do not have AT&T home phone service.

Does the blue pair go into pins 1 and 4? Is all the data for TV and Internet carried on the green pair?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is only the green pair needed in the RJ11 jack which plugs into the green 'phone line' jack on the RG?

Thanks Again for the help.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If you do not have home phone service, the blue pair is a non-factor.

The VDSL2 data is isolated to the green/green-white pair, so it is the only pair which needs terminated, to the "middle" pins
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to todd54

to todd54
Looks like the blue is just scotch-locked(spliced) into your current phone system then the tech would put an rj11 end on the blue pair and plug into the voip port of the rg and the green pair into the vdsl port.

If you have pots there would be no need to do anything else at the rg with the blue pair, just the green pair, as the blue would be already connected at the demarc and pass thru that filter.