Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

1 edit

Wise decision?

As we well know, a web browser, more than any other app, hosts and runs arbitrary third party code. I love Debian stable, well because it's so tested and stable. Lately, browser exploits against even Linux have been staggering. Seems to me running an old outdated browser is playing a risky game these days. I did not want to give up stable's stability to go to testing(with a still slightly outdated browser) and sid(who knows what you'll get day to day?). So, I decided to compile the new Chromium and backport the new Iceweasel. I had success and all is running well, though all the compiling needed for both was a huge pain. I wanted a stable system above all, but got very concerned about browsers being patched for the latest threats. Wise decision? If I am otherwise happy with the distro, but for that and a couple other old pieces of software I backported newer versions of(my current Chromium Browser is nightlies and have graphics drivers and ffmpeg from official backports, backing off from nightlies as now the official backports are new enough to support what I need supported).

Oh and am I overreacting going through all that bother to run a recent version web browser?
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

Running up-to-date browsers is, imo, important. Not only do you get plugged security vulnerabilities, but you also get a better performing computer. Chrome/Chromium runs faster and more reliable month after month.
It also shows up in browser stats, letting web developers know that the new HTML5 features are usable by a more broad base of their user set, pushing the web forward. Every user running an old or bad (read IE) browser is another person holding the web back.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to Selenia

Have you thought about using selinux to sandbox your browser?

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Selenia

I use my desktop for work, so uptime/stability is very important. I work with mainframe computers during the day, so I don't want to have to be messing with getting one to work at night.

I'm using Kubuntu. While some of the Ubuntu issues are M$-ish, the OS is stable and it works. The big plus to me with Ubuntu is that I can pick which PPA's to to add to the system. I also have multiple machines running the same setup. So I will use the laptop as a testing ground from time to time, then update the desktop.

Given the road you've gone down, compiling your own to stay current is probably the best alternative. Is it too much? How much effort is it to compile vs how much effort is it to clean up after some bs?

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Selenia

I run whatever version of Firefox the Fedora team pushes to release. I've never ran Debian before, but it's usually just days after a new Firefox release before it's pushed out to Fedora. It has been weeks sometimes though, but not lately.

Seems like there would be a 3rd party repo available somewhere you could add just to keep your Chromium up to date, but again I know nothing about Debian or it's available 3rd party repos.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

They say that Lucid in the Ubuntu family is most similar to Debian Squeeze(stable). I had to grab a few packages from Debian's backports repository and compile I dependency. Otherwise, compiling source from Ubuntu's ppa for Chromium works well. Debian stops updating all but major packages for security reasons. It's why the distro stays stable. I would not try and grab a .deb from there for sure. The ppa stays close to upstream. Only thing is it's almost a 2 hour compile that uses up to 5 gigs of RAM in the process. The resulting binary runs very well.
--

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

With this weather, 2 hr compile sounds warm and toasty . If you want the security of an up to date browser, It's the cost of your choice.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

Oh I went crazy now. Kept Debian's stable base, but set my apt preferences to pull all updates to backports packages on update. My system runs nicer now, but had to blacklist some packages. I have an ATI card....and break!!!! The xserver and drm manager turned up broken. That's ok. I rolled them all back and set the priority for those packages to be the stable repository. Rest of the packages worked out nice(including better wireless performance, a nicer Amarok, etc). The newer Radeon firmware seems to give the card a boost, but stay away from the mesa-dri and new xserver(at least on my hardware). So now I got a stable base, but with much newer packages in general. Still no new enough browsers, so I guess I will have to keep compiling those.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

Lately, browser exploits against even Linux have been staggering.

That's where you lost me.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

As we well know, a web browser, more than any other app, hosts and runs arbitrary third party code.

That's why I use "noscript".
said by Selenia:

So, I decided to compile the new Chromium and backport the new Iceweasel. I had success and all is running well, though all the compiling needed for both was a huge pain.

You have persuaded me to stay to opensuse, and not bother with debian stable.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 18.0

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

Tried OpenSuse and hated it. Not as badly as Ubuntu, but still. Besides, you could go to testing and still be more stable than Ubuntu or OpenSuse. I ditched Firefox way back for the superior Chromium. It has a similar plugin called NotScript. NotScript needs a newer version to run, however.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Selenia:

I ditched Firefox way back for the superior Chromium.

What is it about Chromium you like over Firefox?

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

Speed, rendering quality, sandboxed Flash plugin with no muss or fuss. Most of all, it just works and gets less security issues posted against it these days.