spc
uniqs
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Tech007

to Tech007

Re: Leaving AT&T U-Verse FTTP after 2 years :(

Exactly it's self imposed. Of course it really doesn't make sense because they call IPDSLAM, FTTC VDSL2, and FTTH UVerse. IPDSLAM can't reach the speeds of FTTC VDSL2 lines yet they have no problem calling both UVerse. So why make the distinction on the other end by crippling their FTTH lines?

I'm sure there's a crazy reason that senior management has come up with to justify this.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
If its not regulation then it is self imposed since fttp usually is deployed for brand new neighborhoods but rarely replaced in old ones and they are doing it "in fairness" accross the board. I would expect to see fiber speeds increase when we start increasing the speeds on copper

I can't wait for the new modems, they will be so much better!
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Tech007

to Tech007
said by Tech007:

Can you get FIOS on copper? Isnt FIOS only available if you have FTTP? Uverse is available on FTTP or copper so I am assuming that is the difference but correct me if I am wrong

That would be why FTTP has to be restricted. If uverse was only a FTTP product they could offer 100, 300 mb plans if they wanted to..

There is no such regulation. Fiber networks have been deregulated since Bush's 1st term
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
There are a good number of these in the Dallas metro, very nice in some, especially in that new complex by the convention center in Irving. There is one thas still stands out, it was in an average apt complex in Houston and it was in a shed in the very back with no indication except for the yellow/black cross-connect wire wrapped around the door handle. In all cases there was good quality cat5 running to a smart panel in the units. This is a great concept, just not used in most situations.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Tech007

Premium Member

to Tech007
said by Tech007:

Can you get FIOS on copper? Isnt FIOS only available if you have FTTP?

There is a very small number of VDSL2 FiOS customers -- mostly in MDUs. Basically its Fiber to the IT room, and then a VRAD in the IT to connect with the copper pairs via VDSL2 to the units. So, in certain, limited situations, there is VDSL2 FiOS.

There are occasionally posts over in the FiOS forum regarding VDSL2 FiOS

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme
Can you get FIOS on copper? Isnt FIOS only available if you have FTTP? Uverse is available on FTTP or copper so I am assuming that is the difference but correct me if I am wrong

That would be why FTTP has to be restricted. If uverse was only a FTTP product they could offer 100, 300 mb plans if they wanted to..