norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

[WIN7] WMP - default IME

Does anyone know why this would freeze up WMP? default IME
I've seen it a lot on a computer behind a proxy for IE/web browsing and wondered if stopping WMP from downloading usage rights, music data etc would help, even though I would like for WMP to retrieve data on my music. At least this link seems to be the only item that has mentioned it fixed the freeze:
»windows7forums.com/windo ··· ack.html

If I'm on a slow network I could understand it fixing the bug.

Anyone?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

The trouble with having WMP retrieve the info is if the server doesnt respond with the info,IT COULD DO WHAT YOUR SEEING....

Try disabling all info retrieval and go from there... If it doesnt do it when you disable it,its apparent whats going on.. (Slow data download resulting in freezes,etc)

Good luck!!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian

Re: [WIN7] WMP - default IME

An IME is an Input Method Editor. It allows you, for example, to enter complex Chinese characters from the keyboard.

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· 85).aspx

Are you intentionally running an IME, or did it come preconfigured somehow? Unless you need it to type in Norwegian, you might consider removing it.

I don't know much more about it than what I've written; I don't seem to be running any such thing. I've seen one show up on other systems and I've promptly made if go away somehow.

Might be something to do with MS Office?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Back in Win2000 days, there was a hang problem related to a certain call on the default IME Window:
SetActiveWindow on Default IME Window Creates an Endless Loop. That problem was apparently resolved with a service pack, but it may serve to give a clue (especially in the "cause" section) to the sort of things that might happen if a program somehow incorrectly interfaces with or corrupts the default IME window that's been set in Windows.

A little Googling (for 'default ime') shows that a few programs and games have been involved with issues of IME-related system hangs, up to and including Windows 7, in recent years. At least one 2010 thread involves WMP (Windows 7 - Windows Media Player failures unpredictable) and, while that thread seems to end abruptly, it appears to possibly have involved Roxio software.

Some information about normal IME messages can be found here: IME Messages (Windows) and here: IME-Related Windows Messages, but I'm not sure they'll be of much use with respect to the message you're seeing.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

I will have a look at this and see where it stops/starts as I've only seen this on a networked computer using group policy, not on a SOHO computer.
norwegian

norwegian to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: [WIN7] WMP - default IME

I understand that, but what has me confused is the music file to be opened creates this window on the task bar in Win 7 - not all just some, in a networked computer using group policy. Why would opening a music file in WMP have a need for a font or character process for an IME?

I know the group policy does have ties to Outlook certification and possibly may be linked. I have seen other issues where the policies in place for Office; Outlook specifically in this case has caused issues and closing Outlook will allow the file/job to be processed.

Example, copying an email attachment to our server can cause all sorts of headaches with Outlook/freezing etc. Hence my thoughts on networking/proxy etc may help with troubleshooting.The image for example will be tied to a process and can not be moved again without shutting OUTLOOK.EXE down.

I am asking questions before I look at what is happening, due to a work environment computer, I'm not hired for wasting time on freezing processes and need a little input before I tell the IT dept of a possible user/policy conflict in the environment.
norwegian

norwegian to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird

Thanks for the info, it will help with looking at a possible cause, even if it is related to Win2000.