share rss forum feed

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2

Need some help with warlock dps

I have a warlock in our raids who I feel is underperforming. Having never played a lock or a caster , I don't know what to tell them or do.

Can someone who is familiar with locks look at this parse and give me some help on what to tell them.

Here is a parse to look at:

»www.worldoflogs.com/reports/kn9l···33qgkg8/

Braincramp

join:2011-05-16
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
I am not a master lock but just looking at his uptime on dots, it looks as though he may need a spellflash add on or at least a good DoT timer to make sure he is getting max uptime.

Going over the numbers from your kill, it looks like he is one of your kiters, so his DPS will suffer a little while he is kiting due to cast times. That said, if he could get all his DoTs up to around 95%+ then that will help his numbers. His Huant at 32.9% is extremely low. As Affliction you used to be able to just DoT and run, but now it is my understanding that they have to channel Malefic Grasp to really throw down the DPS. His uptime on that was just only 24.1%.

It may be easier to check his numbers on a fight where he is not kiting or a lower movement fight, just to get a baseline of how effectively they use their spells to see if it is just the mechanics of the fight that they are struggling with.
--
Machiavelian (Shadow Priest) Pride and Ego, Nathrezim(US)

"The only person that can hold you back from your dream is yourself."

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
Here is the previous two bosses in HoF

»www.worldoflogs.com/reports/cfl1···jr7wmyp/

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to Braincramp
said by Braincramp:

I am not a master lock but just looking at his uptime on dots, it looks as though he may need a spellflash add on or at least a good DoT timer to make sure he is getting max uptime.

Going over the numbers from your kill, it looks like he is one of your kiters, so his DPS will suffer a little while he is kiting due to cast times. That said, if he could get all his DoTs up to around 95%+ then that will help his numbers. His Huant at 32.9% is extremely low. As Affliction you used to be able to just DoT and run, but now it is my understanding that they have to channel Malefic Grasp to really throw down the DPS. His uptime on that was just only 24.1%.

It may be easier to check his numbers on a fight where he is not kiting or a lower movement fight, just to get a baseline of how effectively they use their spells to see if it is just the mechanics of the fight that they are struggling with.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't Haunt only a max 40% uptime?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to s1deout
you cant fault his rotation or spell priority , its solid, basically from these parses is uptime, whether from not having a dot timer or mechanics im not sure but on blade lord his uptime is around 90%, ideally it should be 95 to 97 but that is ideally, perfect practice makes perfect.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
Okay. Thanks for the pointers. I figured it was an uptime thing. I will get a better DoT timer for him and install the spell flash thing along with beating into his head that he needs to watch the uptime.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
I'm websensed unfortunately so can't see the logs. Is he getting 60-70k sustainable at least? Most important dot is the Agony since it stacks. Don't ever want to let that one drop. I wouldn't give too much leeway on the movement fights (as long as the target stays in range) because we have a talent that let's us cast while moving (expected to become a passive ability in 5.2 (woot)). Haunt is a tough one to hold him to because it costs a shard to use and shard regeneration is unpredictable.

I'd also be curious to know if he went the hit cap > Mastery route or vice versa. I haven't had time to do thorough tests but I know I lost dps when I drop the hit cap for mastery as most sites will tell you to do.

Rotation on re-applying the dots should also be played with if he has time. Most of the sites will tell you to re-apply them manually one by one. Personally I eat the shard alot of time to reapply them all (especially in high movement fights where I have to be looking elsewhere). Manually re-applying takes time away from your M. grasp (and hopefully haunt+M. grasp). TBH though I've not actually taken the time to see which method comes out on top. Would be worthwhile to do though.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
His armory shows 13.45% hit with 54.72% mastery

Carpie

united state
said by s1deout:

His armory shows 13.45% hit with 54.72% mastery

Middle road but leaned towards hit. I'm not sure the debate on it has ever really been settled but the lean towards hit is +1 in my book.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
so he should probably cap out at 17.5% hit?

Goldheart

join:2002-06-09
Ballston Spa, NY
kudos:1
The current consensus is that affliction locks should not cap hit for maximum dps.

Carpie

united state
reply to s1deout
said by s1deout:

so he should probably cap out at 17.5% hit?

It would be 15% but my personal opinion is just below is the sweet spot. 13.45% isn't too bad a spot to be imo.

said by Goldheart:

The current consensus is that affliction locks should not cap hit for maximum dps.

I hear you, but all I'm saying is spend the 200g to reforge both ways and see what you get. Granted my tests weren't thorough, but when I dropped hit for mastery/haste as MrRobot suggested, I lost nearly 10% dps.

»[Classes] Warlock 5.0.5

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
Troy, OH
Okay. I can have him go for 15% and then do some dummy tests and see what it is.

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to s1deout
That's why I completely ignore Mr. Dumb bot. I get nothing but dps drops and inconsistency in damage when I used to reforge through him. It take longer, but if you research how the stat weights work and are willing to do a little bit of math, you can max your dps in even crap gear.

Carpie

united state
said by GhostCrawler :

Hey GC, for how long are Arcane and Affliction going to remain 8-10% above all other classes/specs on bosses overall?
Probably until 5.2. We think they are both overpowered, but not so bad that hotfixes are critical. We'll keep an eye on it. (Source)

I don't like the sound of this....