uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

[iO] Speculation: Conversion to MoCA

I was wondering what the prevailing opinion here is for Cablevision to eventually convert or offer MoCA devices. Yes, I know they just started rolling out the Samsung boxes recently and there is a heavily embedded presence of Cisco/SA boxes in Cablevision's footprint but I would think MoCA devices would fit very well in their infrastructure especially since everyone who has cable has a coaxial home network already. It would allow us to have wireless STBs similar to the Pace wireless boxes AT&T U-Verse uses along with with muli-room DVRs (which I knows goes against their trend to cloud storage). Other cable providers such as Comcast and Cox are part of the MoCA board, so there is some industry interest. In using MoCA boxes on U-Verse the network was amazingly fast (the guide blew anything I've ever seen with Cablevision/Comcast) and had excellent integration with third party devices (better than the iOS app). I know FiOS makes use of MoCA boxes (I believe they act as a home gateway that is directly connected to the ONT) and it would seem like a sensible thing for Cablevision to seriously consider.

Thoughts?

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

With the online dvr+ why would they need moca? Cablevision is working towards getting rid of set top boxes entirely . Why do moca now?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

In using MoCA boxes on U-Verse the network was amazingly fast (the guide blew anything I've ever seen with Cablevision/Comcast) and had excellent integration with third party devices (better than the iOS app).

MoCA is simply for in home networking so the guide would have already have been in a normal box in the home and the use of MoCA would not have been what made it fast.

The FCC recently ordered the cable companies to support HD streaming over home networks

»www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/37350···der-2014

Whether it will occur and whether it will be using MoCA or DLNA or another standard or a combination, or go the way of Tru2way and end up dying on the vine, I do not know.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY

Cablevision will just release apps for any settop box or tv company that wants them. No moca or dlna needed.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste

Seeing AT&T U-Verse's implementation of DLNA and MoCA this past weekend and seeing just how amazingly well it worked (guide is awesome by the way) it just had me thinking. I could see people getting the Pace wireless access STB's on their own along with the home gateway which would reduce Cablevision's support and hardware costs.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste

I would also think if Cablevision switched over to IPTV along with MoCA similar to AT&T U-Verse as well as what their Optimum app does, that would free up a ton of bandwidth for other services. Additionally it would eliminate the need for tuning adapters.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I imagine the freeing of all the dedicated frequencies for channels will eventually push the idea of IPTV boxes into fruition, let alone a necessity. Doubly so because they already deliver all of the channels delivered in this form for the app, so they don't need to change that aspect of it. However, it would definitely be a slow change, as the probable 10 million current boxes would first need to be updated/replaced to support that, and as we all saw/read/heard when it happened in our areas, there are always people who are oblivious to the change no matter how many warnings were given, and wait until there is a problem to get the required boxes for their TVs. Without MoCA there are the people who would need tech visits to install the new type of wiring or configure the boxes for wireless (as it's not just as simple as inserting an additional coax cable & box where there is already coax run).

But as you said, if they managed to free up the hundreds of MHz dedicated to cable TV, CV would have an incredible amount of bandwidth to allocate to additional services (OOL primarily due to the heavy bandwidth that would be dedicated to the boxes & additional up/down channels, but also DVR+, VOD), and they could expand the channel lineup/add additional HD channels without having to worry about available frequencies.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

I would also think if Cablevision switched over to IPTV along with MoCA similar to AT&T U-Verse as well as what their Optimum app does, that would free up a ton of bandwidth for other services. Additionally it would eliminate the need for tuning adapters.

The general consensus is that Cable operators will move towards IP eventually. However, cablevision and most other HFC operators are still far away from a full IP conversion. For cablevision, they have so many old STBs in customer homes that are not IP ready. Replacing them all would be a huge expense and an operational nightmare. Also they're still fine tuning the new guide they've just developed. They'll have to write new software for the STBs in order to support an IP transition.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste

Cable companies have been doing mass replacement of cable box for years. Think about it, if they didn't we'd all still be using the big tan Jerrold box with the three row toggle switch on the left and fine tuning dial on the right. Secondly I don't see where the guide software would have to be rewritten at all, as it is the guide is cloud based which means its already capable of being delivered via IP. I don't see it as much of an operational nightmare. In terms of expense, a lot of that can be written off their taxes but it might be harder for a smaller cable company like Cablevision as opposed to Comcast or Time Warner.

Also, despite what frdrizzt See Profile said, everyone does have a coaxial network in their homes, so it would be just a matter of installing a home gateway and then using wireless tuning boxes like what Pace offers for other systems.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY

said by mbernste:

Cable companies have been doing mass replacement of cable box for years. Think about it, if they didn't we'd all still be using the big tan Jerrold box with the three row toggle switch on the left and fine tuning dial on the right. Secondly I don't see where the guide software would have to be rewritten at all, as it is the guide is cloud based which means its already capable of being delivered via IP. I don't see it as much of an operational nightmare. In terms of expense, a lot of that can be written off their taxes but it might be harder for a smaller cable company like Cablevision as opposed to Comcast or Time Warner.

Also, despite what frdrizzt See Profile said, everyone does have a coaxial network in their homes, so it would be just a matter of installing a home gateway and then using wireless tuning boxes like what Pace offers for other systems.

cablelabs already has a gateway spec that they are working on .

Cablevision themselves is trying their hardest to get rid of boxes totally. with the apps for all devices and their work on porting those apps to tvs they can do it now if they want.

Cablevisions future is you supply your own boxes and they provide the service. They will hand you a gateway and then your devices access everything from that. I bet once the new guide is done you will see them start testing gateways that use the cablelabs spec.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

You must have missed the "Without MoCA" that started off the sentence you are referring to. It was referring to the point that it would be much easier to utilize it than straight-up ethernet/wireless for that reason.

I see IPTV as an inevitable thing, and was talking about ways to deliver it.

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY

said by frdrizzt:

said by mbernste:

You must have missed the "Without MoCA" that started off the sentence you are referring to. It was referring to the point that it would be much easier to utilize it than straight-up ethernet/wireless for that reason.

The problem is that cablevision doesn't want any of their own boxes. They wont start moca now when they are on their way to just providing the gateway and having you provide the boxes.

Their gateway might provide a moca connection But your devices that you buy would have to have it.

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

One MoCA advantage would be if SmartTVs supported MoCA. Cablevision could then begin deploying Residential Gateway (rather than vanilla Cable Modems) that act as cable modem/router and would pass SmartTV-destined IP video over the MoCA portion of the customer premises network spectrum. This would be consistent with long term goal of eliminating the STB (Cablevision specific software runs on the SmartTV, potentially enabling both video over DOCSIS and traditional 1-way video over QAM delivery to the SmartTV).

Also, MoCA is not the only game in town; there is also the new ITU-T G.hn home networking over coax/poweline/phoneline specification (one SoC supports all three media types).