spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Myriad
join:2002-03-02
Scarborough, ON

Myriad

Question about 100MB business fiber

We are a small to medium size post production facility in downtown TO and we currently have 100MB fiber from Beanfield for $1200/mo. We are thinking that we might be paying too much and I have been asked to look into alternatives so I'm throwing this out to the experts here.

We do a lot of FTP transfers for clients to our servers in New Jersey (Linode) and clients and staff use the in office wireless (which they complain about the speed). Looking at the server logs, most of our inbound traffic rates to the NJ server max out at around 18.51 Mb/s so I am thinking the 100Mb connection is overkill.

We got the Beanfield connection quite a few years ago when there was not a lot of options at the high end and now I am thinking it is time for a change. I have looked at Cogeco and maybe Teksavvy as possible alternatives. We do have fiber at our demarc.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar

Premium Member

Stick with beanfield. You won't get better pricing more than likely.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Myriad

Premium Member

to Myriad
said by Myriad:

We do a lot of FTP transfers for clients to our servers in New Jersey (Linode) and clients and staff use the in office wireless (which they complain about the speed). Looking at the server logs, most of our inbound traffic rates to the NJ server max out at around 18.51 Mb/s so I am thinking the 100Mb connection is overkill.

It probably isn't your Beanfield connection causing the slowness.

What's your guaranteed port speed at the NJ server? Your 18.51 Mb/s might be that you have a 10Mbps guarantee with burstable to 100Mbps, and that you aren't getting 100Mbps all that often down there.

The in-office wireless sluggishness can be cause by a lot of factors:
- too many connections on older access points (not enough cpu or memory)
- bad channel assignments if you have multiple access points in the office, or interference from wifi in nearby offices
- bad configuration of the access points (ie. WAN port not configured to 100Mbps/1Gbps)

Myriad
Scarborough, ON

Myriad

Linode's guaranteed rate is 50Mbits/sec...

TSI Paulo
Premium Member
join:2011-09-28

TSI Paulo to Myriad

Premium Member

to Myriad
Hey there,

I can get you a quote for a 100baseT burstable connection with a commit rate of 20mbs transit if you like. Another option you might be interested in would be the MLPPP service we offer. Bonding 3 or 4 lines will likely get you the desired speed you're looking for at a fraction of the cost. We have the hardware and will support your bonded connection.

If you think you might be interested, let me know what your full address is and I will get you these quotes.

Regards,

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Myriad

MVM

to Myriad
50 Mbps is a rate limit, not a guaranteed speed. That said, I've never seen a Linode with a saturated pipe.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) The 50 Mbps limit only applies to outbound from the Linode, there is no rate limit on inbound

2) Linode will raise the limit if you can demonstrate the need.

Myriad
Scarborough, ON

Myriad

Hey Guzpaz! What do you think of the bonded MLPPP for a business setup?

SimonJones
Allstream Alliance
join:2010-09-16
Mississauga, ON

SimonJones

Hi Myriad,

If you'd like to PM me your address I can provide Allstream pricing for various tiers of E10/E100/E1000.

Simon
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Myriad

Premium Member

to Myriad
You have two seoerate issues.

first, are you getting value. If your Beanfield is 100Mbps, symmetrical and guaranteed, then yes, you are getting good value.

second, you need to find out why you are only getting less than 20Mbps on your FTP transfers.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Myriad

MVM

to Myriad
I've got very little experience on bonding more than 2 connections, and at this point, even for two connections (faster ones anyhow), you'd be looking at using Cisco or Microtik (maybe pfsense?) hardware to do it, which I've no experience with. It sounds like Paulo is saying that TSI does have recommended hardware for bonding more than two lines though, so if they do support for it, that might be good.

They might cut a discount if you're getting multiple lines, but bonding four business 25/10 lines (assuming they're not still 25/7) would get you 100/40 speeds, and cost (assuming dry loop band B) about $508 per month. That's still a good chunk of change, but a lot less than you're paying now. Of course, you'd need to qualify for those speeds.

Candew
join:2005-09-23
N. America

Candew

1200 a month for 100MB? Is this symmetrical?

Geeze, we are paying a little over $1000 a month for our FTTB @ 10MB symmetrical here in Ottawa (Atria, now owned by Rogers).

Count your blessings!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Candew:

1200 a month for 100MB? Is this symmetrical?

Geeze, we are paying a little over $1000 a month for our FTTB @ 10MB symmetrical here in Ottawa (Atria, now owned by Rogers).

Count your blessings!

Almost all of the cost is getting the physical fiber to you. Once that's done, the price difference between 10 and 100 is not that big.

TSI Paulo
Premium Member

TSI Paulo to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I've got very little experience on bonding more than 2 connections, and at this point, even for two connections (faster ones anyhow), you'd be looking at using Cisco or Microtik (maybe pfsense?) hardware to do it, which I've no experience with. It sounds like Paulo is saying that TSI does have recommended hardware for bonding more than two lines though, so if they do support for it, that might be good.

They might cut a discount if you're getting multiple lines, but bonding four business 25/10 lines (assuming they're not still 25/7) would get you 100/40 speeds, and cost (assuming dry loop band B) about $508 per month. That's still a good chunk of change, but a lot less than you're paying now. Of course, you'd need to qualify for those speeds.

It is a Mikrotik 750g that we use for an up to 4 line bond and a 493 is used for an up to 8 line bond. The 750g is $100 + tax and we support these cisco based routers. We can set them up in passthrough mode or have them do DHCP with a switch behind them. We will help with QoS, port forwarding, IPsec etc also.

As with any PPPoE, you'll need to take into account the 15-20% overhead with the connection. For example, yesterday I set a customer up with a 4 line 25/7mbs MLPPP connection and they were getting 89mbs down and 26mbs up.
TSI Paulo

TSI Paulo

Premium Member

As I mentioned before OP, if you're interested or would just like more specifics I would be happy to help you with that. Just send me a PM or simply call me at 1-877-313-1575 and ask for Paulo.

I'm available Monday - Friday, 8-5pm

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Paulo

MVM

to TSI Paulo
said by TSI Paulo:

As with any PPPoE, you'll need to take into account the 15-20% overhead with the connection. For example, yesterday I set a customer up with a 4 line 25/7mbs MLPPP connection and they were getting 89mbs down and 26mbs up.

There is no effective overhead on VDSL2 service, because Bell sets the sync speeds higher than the advertised speed in order to account for overhead. A single 25/7 line sees actual throughput in speed tests of 25/7, and so that particular customer should be seeing 100 mbps down, and 28 mbps up.

26 is close enough to 28 that you could write it off as margin of error, but 89 mbps indicates some problem (non-optimal mru perhaps?).

TSI Paulo
Premium Member

TSI Paulo

Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing given profiles are set higher than the 25/7. We typically set the MRU/MTU to 1480 but perhaps dropping the MRU to 1460 would optimize this connection.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Actually, now that I think about it, VDSL2 doesn't use ATM, so the rules about optimal MRUs aren't the same as they were for ADSL... Back in the day, you had to set it correctly to avoid wasting ATM cells, like if your pppoe frame was just one byte over the limit, it would require an entire extra ATM cell... But that's not the case anymore, so my comments may not apply.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

PM Me and I can put in contact with a guy who an do better then $1200. Believe me, I know.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to twizlar

Premium Member

to twizlar
said by twizlar:

Stick with beanfield. You won't get better pricing more than likely.

I have to agree, I've used them for years, both downtown and in the Junction, top notch, and very reasonable.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

1 edit

BliZZardX to Myriad

Premium Member

to Myriad
Unless you are in a multi-tenanted building every new carrier you add will charge $10K-30K in construction fees to bring fiber into your building. If Cogent is available OnNet that is your cheapest option, they're bottom of the barrel, definitely less than you pay for 4-line MLPPP DSL and depending where your server is probably better speed most of the time too. I would stick with Beanfield personally, they are first-class and have exceptional support. Of course the slow wifi doesn't have anything to do with your ISP, get some repeaters installed and switch to 5GHz 11n/11ac if possible.

Myriad
Scarborough, ON

Myriad

We already have fiber...

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Can you switch to Cogent?

These are their OnNet buildings: »www.cogentco.com/index.p ··· le&id=40
cruisx
join:2009-10-25

cruisx to TSI Paulo

to TSI Paulo
Can you guys do a 4 line bond for a residential property?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by cruisx:

You pay, TSI will play

TSI Paulo
Premium Member

TSI Paulo to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Thanks for updating Guspaz. Your input is always appreciated. I'm not sure what could be causing the bottleneck if there is one. I'll do a bit of research and try to figure out what it could be I suppose.

Paulo

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Basically consider that the sync speed for 25 meg DSL is about 26.95 megs, so your customer is actually seeing 89 meg throughput on a ~108 meg aggregate sync. Overhead on VDSL2 seems to be roughly 6-7% (going from benchmarks here, not doing the math). ATM was one of the biggest sources of overhead with ADSL, and that's gone now, hence the lower overhead. So if he's seeing 89 meg, that's about 17% overhead, way more than we'd expect to see.

Although there is also some MLPPP overhead too, of course, but that was like 0.4%.

TSI Paulo
Premium Member

TSI Paulo to cruisx

Premium Member

to cruisx
said by cruisx:

We will do a 4 line bond but if you're looking to use the Mikrotik router we sell, we'll send it out pre-configured but will not support it. We only support business customers using that router.

In other words, you'll want to be very specific with how you would like to have it set up before we send it out.