spc
uniqs
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to IowaGuy

to IowaGuy

Re: Mediacom now using Comcast backbone

I interpret the examples from IowaMan to mean not that ATT is no longer being used, but for the larger Des Moines market area, that Mediacom has added Comcast as the second backbone connection. Depending on where one is going, their packets may go out through the ATT connection or through the Comcast connection, or may be alternated, depending on the how the routers are configured.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Thats what BAINCH had said was going to happen in another thread.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

What thread was that? (On a side note, I do miss his presence but understand that in his position and with help from MediacomChad and team, He doesn't need to be here for help anymore as IDK if it was him or his boss but the executive at Mediacom that came up with the idea of a Social Media team a huge THANKS)
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

jpatton to k9iua6

to k9iua6
It would be nice if MCC were peering with both Comcast and AT&T. Surprised it's been exclusive for so long.
twhiting9275
join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA

twhiting9275

said by jpatton:

It would be nice if MCC were peering with both Comcast and AT&T. Surprised it's been exclusive for so long.

Absolutely! Maybe (maybe) that'd get rid of the 3-4 yearly 'fiber cut' issues we run into that take hours upon hours to resolve!
tdawg
join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA

tdawg

i just traced google and it went through the att backbone the only site that went through the comcast backbone was comcast's site this would indicate that des moines service is going to be more reliable going off two backbones
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

or maybe we will get lucky and comcast will buy mediacom lol