spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Foggy

@telus.net

[BC] 80% of my current usage for an extra $13/month?

TELUS just offered to give me back 80% of my current usage for an extra $13 bucks a month plus tax.

Here's an email I just received from TELUS.

'Upgrade to the new Internet 50 plan.'

Regular bundled price currently $70/month

'Do everything you love online, faster. Browse
media-rich sites in a flash, download huge files,
video chat without a hitch and more.'

»www.telusmemberservices.com/emai···web.html

It comes with 400 GB/month Usage.

I currently have 500 GB/month Usage which TELUS will be reducing by 50% one week from now.
+++++++++++++++++++

Here's what is STILL on their high speed page and the package I currently subscribe to.

High Speed Turbo 25 - $57/month Regular bundled price

500 GB/month Usage

'Surf, game and download massive files at top speed simultaneously from all of your Wi-Fi devices.'

»www.telus.com/content/internet/high-speed/
+++++++++++++++++++

Notice that TELUS has gone from advertising "massive files" on my current package to "huge files" on their new package.

(screen capture the current TELUS high-speed page now folks because next week it will be changed without even a revision date - High-Speed Lite has already disappeared)

People signing up for the current High Speed Turbo 25 on the current high-speed TELUS page above are NOT being told that less than one week from now the current 500 GB/month Usage will be reduced by 50% to only 250 GB/month Usage.

Oh yeah, TELUS is going to start enforcing the 50% reduced bandwidth cap on the current Turbo 25 alright.

I can see it right now.

The minute people go over their reduced 250 GB/month Usage (still not visible anywhere on the TELUS high-speed page BTW), they will be warned and pitched to get this new Internet 50 plan for an extra $13/month plus tax.

TELUS snuck in a 50% reduction in usage notice in a tiny "Click here to view messages from TELUS regarding updates and changes to your service." link at the bottom of my monthly 'bill is ready for payment' email.

Then before the 50& reduction even takes place, TELUS sends me another email today pitching me to sign up for this wonderful new Internet 50 plan.
++++++++++

I download all of my TELUS bills (PDF).

I save them all.

Starting on March 2012 TELUS started to add high speed internet "Usage details" to my bill.

NOTE: If you don't download the PDF copies of your bills you will NOT see these details.

"Usage details for high speed internet 604xxxxxxx"

Mar 09 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 1.81
Mar 10 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.88
Mar 11 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 2.74
Mar 12 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.53
Mar 13 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 1.42
Mar 14 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 2.01
Mar 15 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.47
Mar 16 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.88
Mar 17 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 8.43
Mar 21 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.87
Mar 22 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 0.50
Mar 23 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 1.67
Mar 24 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 2.58
Mar 25 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 4.46
Mar 26 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 4.51
Mar 27 - TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 1.20

TOTAL USAGE (GB) - 34.96

Usage is reported in gigabytes (GB) and rounded down to two decimal places.

OVER USAGE CHARGE ($) - $0.00

Thank you for choosing TELUS.

Additional Download/Upload Usage: $2/additional GB used

++++++++++

This year Shaw is going to automatically start putting people into the next highest tier for going over their usage limit and TELUS will once again follow Shaw's lead.

SHAW
++++

Broadband 50

50Mbps†
Download

400GB/Month
included data

Subject to Bump-up ‡

»www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/

(fine print at the bottom of the Shaw page)

‡ When you subscribe to one of our Broadband Internet packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program.

If you exceed your package's included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle.

The Bump-Up Program is coming soon in 2013.

_____

Wherever Shaw leads, TELUS will be sure to follow.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

I'm doubtful as to whether or not Telus will start enforcement. The threads about the new cap limits seem earily familiar to the ones that sprung up a few years ago when Telus posted overage fees on their website.

Telus' track record shows that what they post on their website isn't what they practice in real life. I would be pretty surprised if they enforced. Especially with Shaw (their competition) being pretty lax on caps right now, and planning a package step-up program (opposed to high overages/cap enforcement).

With all that being said, it still baffles me that Telus does this stuff. DSL infrastructure (as it doesn't require Nodes) seems much more well fit for higher bandwidth loads than cable. With bulk bandwidth being as cheap as it is, why not flaunt the the VDSL network. Advertise unlimited, mock Shaw in commercials, etc.... If you're not going to bother enforcing caps, why not make the competition look bad?

blooootedd

@telus.net
reply to Foggy

said by Foggy :

This year Shaw is going to automatically start putting people into the next highest tier for going over their usage limit and
Subject to Bump-up ‡
»www.shaw.ca/internet/packages/
(fine print at the bottom of the Shaw page)
‡ When you subscribe to one of our Broadband Internet packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program.
If you exceed your package's included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle.
The Bump-Up Program is coming soon in 2013.

I sure hope that Shaws usage meter is actually accurate. Far as I know is Weights and Measure Canada still refuses to make sure ISP bandwidth meters are accurate. When the Telus meter still showed on my bil, it compared very well with my DD-WRT meter in my router.

An ISP could strangely have a lot of users who get bumped up to a higher rate a couple of days before end of cycle. Very profitable. But how many people have a in home method to monitor their usage anyways.

People would also need to be properly notified of nearing the cap on their 'base internet package' before bump up.

Automatic 'Opt In' is a total joke and could be considered unlawful, based on the automatically 'Opt In' part(Many people do not know needing to have to 'opt out' to avoid nasty bills). If they renamed all their packages 'flex plans' then people know instantly that their bill is subject to change every month.

Fine print is evil and is used to deceive people via slight of hand advertising. Heres the advertised package, but details and restrictions are listed in a locked basement with no stairs in Alpha Centauri. Mind the Tiger.
Your 100Mbps package is just an 'up to' package so 20Mbps for 8 hours a day is close enough.

'Telus mobility data' has a pricing scheme of you get bumped up to a higher tier should you exceed a pitiful 1GB, but I have a nice 6GB plan for $30 a month that I use varying amounts of. And the Telus meter shows nicely with the phones own meter.
Flex Plan: Stay connected on the go without worrying about data overages.
Our Flex Data plans automatically adjust to your monthly usage helping you keep your bill in check. Plus, TELUS will notify via a free text message when you are close to reaching your data limit.

Final: A good ISP will make sure the customer knows about coming near their cap before any 'extra charges' are enacted. If the ISP can't even bother telling customers , via verified email(reply to confirm) or some type of phone call that confirms it being answered and listened too(push 5 for confirmation of extra billing) , then either kick in a throttle at max usage(with no overage charges) or be called scumbags and have call support enjoy peoples tirades.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

2 edits
reply to Foggy

where do you find the usage thing?

I see view usage for dial-up but thats it.

thanks

**I found it in the PDF thanks

said by Foggy :

NOTE: If you don't download the PDF copies of your bills you will NOT see these details.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I'm doubtful as to whether or not Telus will start enforcement.

Enforcement will be starting in fall, with prices of approximately $15/100GB, or $75/1TB.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

Enforcement will be starting in fall, with prices of approximately $15/100GB, or $75/1TB.

citation please

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by spock:

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

citation please

I think my past track record speaks volumes, and I will not be providing citations

Ex: »Telus Bumps Usage Caps In Response to Shaw
--
The more I C, the less I see.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

Not saying that you're the type to blow smoke, but having posted about something after the fact is supposed to prove what exactly?

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

I think my past track record speaks volumes, and I will not be providing citations

Kids - don't say that when defending your thesis.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to Foggy

This is crazy. I'm quite disappointing by Telus for halving the bandwidth caps. I hope this decision is overturned by Telus at some point in time.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to pfak

said by pfak:

said by zod5000:

Business lines too? In particular, the 25/5 one for $84.95.

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

said by BadMagpie:

Business lines too? In particular, the 25/5 one for $84.95.

Do you have a link to details on Telus's site?
I looked, just finding everything but

Thanks

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to Tornado15550

Have you complained to Telus about this? If not, what would cause them to change their minds?

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to South_of_22

Go here:
»telus.com/en_CA/content/business···ect.html
And click "Add more" on Office Internet. The package you want is the Elite one.
This connection uses the VDSL2 8B profile, with a sync of 25/7.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2282548822.png

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

Thanks.

Will definitely look into this on Monday.

I'll choose monthly bandwidth over speed any day.

said by BadMagpie:

Go here:
»telus.com/en_CA/content/business···ect.html
And click "Add more" on Office Internet. The package you want is the Elite one.
This connection uses the VDSL2 8B profile, with a sync of 25/7.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2282548822.png

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

With all that being said, it still baffles me that Telus does this stuff. DSL infrastructure (as it doesn't require Nodes) seems much more well fit for higher bandwidth loads than cable. With bulk bandwidth being as cheap as it is, why not flaunt the the VDSL network. Advertise unlimited, mock Shaw in commercials, etc.... If you're not going to bother enforcing caps, why not make the competition look bad?

I've never understood this either. They could even add the advantages DSL has over cable regarding gaming and the more stable, consistent pings that having dsl dedicated lines offer. And the fact that they don't throttle, unlike in Shaw's case in some area's. Personally I think they could slam Shaw pretty good, but they don't. Must have some morals or something...

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC

Why would they compete with shaw?

Shaw and Telus have a monopoly. Havent you ever wondered why their prices stay close together, and they both have huge price hikes every couple of months?

Look at cell phones. Bell/Rogers/Telus, all the same pricing. Wind comes in... can give what they give for HALF price. Even less, and they offer more.

Same goes with internet - When you have a monopoly, you don't compete... If Telus tried to 1 up shaw, shaw would 1 up telus, and prices for both would drop,and keep dropping. this way.... They both have high prices, and the majority of Canadians dont know theres alternatives to goto, So it's win win for them.

This is the prime time other ISPs should be advertising their unlimited, put out a campaign and eat up a ton of Telus's customers.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Ikarasu:

Why would they compete with shaw?

Shaw and Telus have a monopoly.

It's a duopoly (two players). If you have a few it could he an oligopoloy.

A monopoly is when there is one player only.

Duopology/Oligoplies are nearly as bad though. They exist because of high barriers to entry (In the cableco/telco example its very expensive to lay down a network of wires, the cost of entering the sector is too high for new players).

You don't get 1 up amongst duoplies because the other party knows if they lower there price the other player will too. Which makes them no better off but receiving lower revenue. This is why competition is stifled in duopoloy/oligopolies and why they don't turn into highly competitive markets (ie high entry costs).

In your example if Telus did start advertising unlimited and removed caps, shaw would quite possibly follow in suit. Which would be good for us, but probably bad from a business point of view for both shaw/telus. There's no long term gain for either party.