join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Selenia

Re: Feds warn PC users to disable Java

I do have the plug-in disabled or not installed in some of my installations. Actually in a few instances Java is not installed either. If I don't need it, it's not installed. This computer I am using now is running Slackware64 with OpenJDK and the IcedTea-Web Plugin. (Not because I think it safer by the way, it's not.) I enable it when I need it; for example that Runescape site you like so much.

I don't really play it, just using that as an example. I did check it out just now, it fetching updates right now... oops..... just dumped me out and crashed Firefox. Oh well. Not a big deal, I'm more in to console games than PC ones. That and I don't care of on-line games.

I'm not all that concerned over this threat. It just like any other threat out there, except this one has taken on a life of it own as the threat to hate. Reminds me of Facebook, which I use on occasion and find it quite useful; like the Java programs I use.

I also have NoScript installed, I don't use Chrome. There are no Windows installation in my house, they are not allowed, with a few exceptions, my "work" laptop (dual boot, rarely to Windows, always to Slackware) or running in a VirtualBox VM on this machine. Only the laptop has Java installed because I need it for programs not browsing.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by chrisretusn:

... I'm not all that concerned over this threat. It just like any other threat out there, except this one has taken on a life of it own as the threat to hate. Reminds me of Facebook, which I use on occasion and find it quite useful; like the Java programs I use. ...

According to Kaspersky Lab's 3rd-Quarter report, the concern is probably justified, especially given Java's prominence in current infections and the number of Java installations constituting potential targets. From IT Threat Evolution: Q3 2012:
quote:
... 2012 can justifiably be described as the year of the Java vulnerability, with half of all detected exploit-based attacks targeting vulnerabilities in Oracle Java. Today, Java is installed on more than 3 billion devices running under various operating systems. ...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 edit
I have Java installed on five systems, and decided not to uninstall it. Instead, I used the java control panel security tab to disable it in all browsers. That way I did not have to individual disable the plugins.

Added: One thing I forgot to mention is that disabling the browsers in the Java control panel also requires a restart to take effect. That's a small pain in the behind.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.