how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18

[Internet] Speeds offered?

I posted this in the FAQ thread, but I guess it doesn't get looked at that much.

Was looking for some info on frontier as they happen to be the telco where I'm looking to buy a house.
All I can find on their website says speeds are one of three choices.
6mb, 12mb or 25mb all having the "up to" next to it of course.

What I'm wondering is what are the upload speeds on those tiers?
Do they actually deliver close to advertised speeds? (I know how DSL works so no lessons necessary...just a general question)
Do they have any type of usage cap with their service?

Thanks

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

It all depends on where you live. What area are you planning on moving too?

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to alfnoid

You should be able to give them a call with a specific address and find out what sort of speeds "SHOULD" be available.

Actual attained speeds will depend on the actual quality of the line and other factors such as distance to telco office etc.

Action2

join:2010-06-29
Newman, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to alfnoid

Just want to say, as the other posters have said, you need to call in to see what is available. The website shows those same plans regardless of what is actual speed is available in your area.

6Mb plans tend to have 768k upload, though I have seen a few that have been bumped up to 1Mb if distance allows.

The 12Mb ultra plan runs with a 2Mb upload and is bonded ADSL2+

The 25Mb ultimate plan is VDSL and carries a 3Mb upload. There is another version of ultimate that uses bonded ADSL2+ and instead is 24Mb download with a 2Mb upload.

That being said, there are still plenty of areas where the maximum speed you can order is 3Mbps or lower regardless of distance.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15

Frontier has not been able to deliver their advertised speeds in some areas that offer the bonded lines. Heck, they can't even give you the basic 6 MB service at times. Too much congestion on their network.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to alfnoid

Everyone here about has it all covered. Frontier offers great speeds if you're in an area with VDSL or ADSL2+ bonding and has the backhaul to support those speeds.

When I ordered service I got 1.5mbps down and 384kbps up and was on a 6mbps max plan. They told me if I'm getting at least 1mbps down and 128kbps up that qualifies as the Max package. So be sure to insist they do some line tests if possible. Or if you feel daring you could ask people close to there what they get, as it could be a decent gauge for speeds you could get.

Be very careful when ordering with Frontier, as their "up to" is pretty extreme in some cases. To be safe I'd order the 25mbps service, as they say if you aren't getting 70% of that speed there is a problem. So if you're only getting 7 or 8mbps on a 25mbps plan, they might just run a new line. Not sure on this--just a theory.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868.png

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY
reply to alfnoid

Just get it both cable and yes Frontier have a 30 day try pollicy as long as you call and cancel within the 30 day time its no charge.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to alfnoid

Then when your service starts slowing way down after 30 days after it worked good at first your screwed and stuck in a contract for the remainder of the year (some people two years).

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

Here is the truth about Frontiers contract and getting stuck with fees after the 30 days. Just document what you get in the 30 days. Then if the service goes down you have proof of what your line can do. With this proof you can leave and not have to pay. But you will have to call and say you wont pay. At that point they have to fix or you can just leave. And no ETF

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to alfnoid

Thanks for the replies.
All in all pretty much what I expected, but had never really heard much about frontier so I thought I'd ask.

I'm likely going to get comcast and will probably try out frontier to see if they would be ok once the comcast promo is done.