All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
infotime
join:2004-09-08
Louisville, KY

infotime

[E-Mail] Recent changes to outbound email server mail.insightbb.

I've had two clients in recent days who are suddenly having problems sending email using mail.insightbb.com.

Both have Insight Business for their broadband Internet connection.

The first has been using a high-end copier that has scan-to-email features. They've been using it for a long time with a simple config of having mail.insightbb.com as the outbound server. There were no other settings needed such as username authentication or special ports or SSL. The copier would show a "server disk full" in the log when it failed.

I changed their outbound email server for the copier to smtpout.secureserver.net and plugged in a username and password combination for a valid Go Daddy hosted email account. It's working fine now.

Similar problem for two users at a small business. They were getting message in Outlook similar to "4.7.2 too many messages". Of course they weren't sending too many, just a handful a day. We talked to Insight and they didn't report that they thought we had an infected computer or SPAM-bot. Made the same change as the other client and it fixed the problem.

Insight wasn't aware of anything that's changed on their end, but I wonder.

The only thing that may be causing the problems for both is that in each case the incoming mail address was not an insightbb.com address - they were custom domain addresses.

But I can only think that Insight changed some server policies recently that affected this.

Any thoughts?

bowlinggree9
@insightbb.com

bowlinggree9

Anon

Re: [E-Mail] Recent changes to outbound email server mail.insigh

I have been having the same problem for months with insight, and I have friends that live in lexington,ky as well. They have the same problem, so I called insight and they tried to say it was outlook 2007. But that is not the problem because it also happens no matter what program i use to send email. it will say "too many messages sent". I don't know what is going on with them lately.
infotime
Louisville, KY

infotime

Got it again this afternoon with a residential customer. Error message on his Windows XP machine with Outlook Express and Norton 360:

"452 4.7.0 Too many messages sent"

The easy fix here was to turn on SSL and use port 465 for outbound, checked "my server requires authentication" and have it use his existing Insightbb email address.

AND - just got a call from the owner of the company who was having problems scanning to email from their copier. He has 16 messages in his Outbox in Outlook. How much you wanna bet it's the same issue?
Damon85
Premium Member
join:2004-12-25
Houston, TX

Damon85 to infotime

Premium Member

to infotime
I know sometimes small business owners can be the stingiest people known to mankind, but it might be time to advise them to purchase service from an e-mail provider rather than rely on Insight's mail service. They may be convinced they're paying for it, but most of the time ISP mail is a value-add, not included with the service (I'm not 100% on the terms with regards to Insight's Business accounts). It has always been a bad idea to not brand your business with its own domain name -- it's something they can take with them if they need to grow, move, or simply get fed up with their existing provider and want a change.

All in all, less work for you, less e-mail issues for them, and much better odds of efficient resolution when a problem does arise. After all, this issue has been ongoing intermittently for months... have you heard much out of Insight about it? That should tell you everything you need to know about their priorities concerning getting it fixed.
infotime
Louisville, KY

infotime

You're preaching to the choir Damon! I've moved just about all of my small business customers to their own domain. The biggest hurdle is what they're already doing - everyone's already got their @bellsouth.net, @insightbb.com or @aol.com address out in circulation.

Both of these business users have their own domain and are using domain email hosted at Go Daddy. Until these recent incidents I've never had any reason not to plug in mail.insightbb.com into their outbound SMTP settings and be done with it (for stationary computers at least).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by infotime:

You're preaching to the choir Damon! I've moved just about all of my small business customers to their own domain. The biggest hurdle is what they're already doing - everyone's already got their @bellsouth.net, @insightbb.com or @aol.com address out in circulation.

Interestingly, '@bellsouth.net' converts to free Yahoo! Web Mail when a Bellsouth/AT&T (Southeast) customer quits. It does not change domain, it just continues to work on Yahoo! mail servers.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Yea something with AT&T and Yahoo changed with the renewal of their partnership, as now any joe blow can sign up for a att.net address and never have any AT&T services.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by OSUGoose:

Yea something with AT&T and Yahoo changed with the renewal of their partnership, as now any joe blow can sign up for a att.net address and never have any AT&T services.

As can any Joe Blow get an msn.com address without ever having had MSN Internet Access, and any aol.com address without ever having had AOL Internet.

I have one of each: aol.com, att.net and msn.com. When I was with AT&T, I got a pacbell.net address, which still works. At that time, they had not yet introduced the sbcglobal.net addresses. The purchase of AT&T by SBC was still a couple of years away at that time.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Wow that was so beneficial to this thread, normally email addresses from, ISPs only are avail to current customers, however AT&T is the exception, MSN & AOL are doing it because they are desperate to be relevant, and FYI you cant get a MSN.com address anymore only outlook.com

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by OSUGoose:

Wow that was so beneficial to this thread, normally email addresses from, ISPs only are avail to current customers, however AT&T is the exception, MSN & AOL are doing it because they are desperate to be relevant, and FYI you cant get a MSN.com address anymore only outlook.com

They are, nevertheless, still ISPs.
Expand your moderator at work