spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sjwoo
join:2000-02-06
Bedminster, NJ

sjwoo

Comcast ClearQAM Channels Moving

Yesterday, Comcast in my area (zip 07882) switched all the ClearQAM channels. For example, 2.1 used to be CBS HD, but now it's 61-101. It's annoying, but I can deal with it, as long as it doesn't happen too often.

Is this the first step they're taking to getting rid of ClearQAM broadcasts of network television? I hope not, but I know this has been in the works for quite some time.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Thought Comcast turned off the ClearQAM already off, at least they did in my area. Zip code 08722
sjwoo
join:2000-02-06
Bedminster, NJ

sjwoo

Not in my area, at least not yet. I'm using an old HDHomeRun with it, but I bought the HDHomeRun Prime in case it switched over. Except when I went to my Comcast office, they told me I wasn't allowed to get a CableCard because I only had basic cable.

If they encrypt basic cable, wouldn't they be required by law to provide a CableCard? Otherwise, how would people who have devices like Tivo record their programming?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to sjwoo

MVM

to sjwoo
They seem to be slowly trying to make it so painful to use that you will actually thank them when they encrypt everything and you have to use a box or CableCard.

By me, I think they still have the HD's set up right, and some SD's. The used to have the SD copies as 202-1, 205-1, etc... But stopped doing that a few months ago, and they are now only the raw.

BTW, they didn't necessary move the channels. They just don't set up the PSIP to override the channel number, and you are probably now seeing the raw channel and subchannel.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to sjwoo

to sjwoo
Hmm good point. I'm not sure of that. I would think a digital tuning adapter and a VCR would be what they have in mind? Maybe they want people to rent their set top boxes?
logger
join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

logger to sjwoo

to sjwoo
said by sjwoo:

Is this the first step they're taking to getting rid of ClearQAM broadcasts of network television? I hope not, but I know this has been in the works for quite some time.

The first step to get rid of Clear-QAM retransmitted broadcast signals is to get rid of the analog version of those signals. Late last year the FCC change the rules so that an all-digital cable system may now encrypt the most basic service tier signals without a waiver.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Thought Comcast turned off the ClearQAM already off, at least they did in my area. Zip code 08722

Didn't realize they were doing that in our area (Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ) yet.

Did you receive the required 30 days advance notice for that?
SLAYER6669
join:2011-09-07
Toms River, NJ

SLAYER6669 to sjwoo

to sjwoo
Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. My HDHomerun (non cablecard) stopped working and when I scanned channels I noticed they were all different numbers. Kind of a nuisance to re-set up. I only added the HDHomerun for the 4 broadcast networks so I can have a couple extra tuners to pad my recordings at the end and it would be free since no addtl cablecard is required. It's looking like eventually the basic HDHomerun might no longer work without renting equipment in the future anyway. At that point I may as well just pick up a second cablecard tuner and keep things more simple, despite the extra charge.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Are you sure they did not remap the channels in your area as they did here (08824) back in late November. You may just have to do a rescan. The Central Jersey system here in southern Middlesex County is under the same local management as the Jersey Shore Systems in Ocean and Monmouth. If changes happen in your area many times it happens here at the same time.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yeah, I just checked by directly connecting one of my sets, and it looks like all of the Limited Basic channels are still in Clear QAM here in Monmouth county. I hadn't tried this since a few months ago, so I had to do a re-scan to have the TV find them all again.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

When i had to re scan in November i found they had added the sub channels from WPVI, WCAU and WPHL. They are not mapped into the the boxes though the same sub Channels except WPHL's Tango traffic 17.4 are available through WABC,WPIX and WNBC now that WCAU 10.2 and WNBC 4.2 (248) are both Cozi TV.

Colin
join:2013-01-29

Colin to sjwoo

to sjwoo
I'm in 08753 and we have zero unencrypted data available now. Previously I was picking up KYW on 12.10 but that was about it.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

weird, im in 08722 and I rescanned all my TV's just on a whim and was getting pretty much all the Philly broadcast HD stations. KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WPSG, WPHL, Antenna, This TV, WHYY, WTXF and more. All between 2.1 and 13.1, and the New York broadcast HD stations in the 60 sub range. I'd list each station with the sub channel it's assigned to but because there are so many I don't want to be here all night lol

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to Colin

MVM

to Colin
said by Colin:

I'm in 08753 and we have zero unencrypted data available now. Previously I was picking up KYW on 12.10 but that was about it.

Just a check, but make certain it is set to scan in CABLE mode, and not ANTENNA.
SLAYER6669
join:2011-09-07
Toms River, NJ

SLAYER6669 to Colin

to Colin
08757 here and my HD Homerun is still picking up the channels..
wadewood
Premium Member
Houston, TX

wadewood to SLAYER6669

Premium Member

to SLAYER6669
same thing happened to me in Houston with Comcast a few months ago. Actually, they moved the ClearQAM channels twice in 1 year. I installed an OTA antennae and now use that for the local channels.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to sjwoo

Premium Member

to sjwoo
I've heard about this a lot, but what's the upside to them? More equipment to maintain? More complexity to the system? It just seems rather pointless to encrypt basic cable... I get why they do expanded basic, as trapping is complicated, and cable theft would be rampant, but basic???

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by BiggA:

I've heard about this a lot, but what's the upside to them? More equipment to maintain? More complexity to the system? It just seems rather pointless to encrypt basic cable... I get why they do expanded basic, as trapping is complicated, and cable theft would be rampant, but basic???

Even watching basic cable is THEFT, plain and simple. By encrypting everything, they can leave cables connected and have fewer service calls just to connect/disconnect people.

A drawback is that you also end up with all sorts of unconnected cables in houses that could allow ingress and noise on the lines and affect neighbors.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Or they could just not disconnect people. If they're not on the books, they're not paying the content providers. And for internet, they charge $15 more anyways, so Comcast makes MORE money if they drop basic, pay more for the internet, and "steal" basic cable. And it's not like basic cable is anything more than a glorified community antenna with some re-modulation anyways.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Actually basic cable here is $19 or $20 a month so YES they are losing money if the sub JUST has internet and gets basic without paying. That's at least $5 a month they are losing.
I would be like buying dry-loop dsl and getting local phone with it for free. Isn't going to happen.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Although it depends on the franchise, basic cable is usually $13, while internet is $15 more without cable TV, and Comcast has to pay for the content for basic cable, they don't have to pay if it's accidentally on the line.
catnapped
join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

catnapped

said by BiggA:

Although it depends on the franchise, basic cable is usually $13

Try $22 here. We're also one of the areas where there's no ($) advantage to bundling HSI with limited basic.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Hmmm, interesting, the $13 rate must be what our DPUC set.