how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

officederamo

join:2004-09-22
Pomona, NY

Cannot connect to static IP computer

I am at a loss but starting on Saturday Jan 20th I stopped being able to connect to my office PC's reliably. None of my equipment was changed in any way. But starting that day I cannot ping reliably or connect to any of four computers. I am running smokeping and it shows;
»/r3/smokeping.···3c2d9.KS
My packet loss is very high. Cablevision has come twice and each time they say that the gateway is perfect, no packet loss or other issues. They refuse to replace their modem even to possibly fix the problem. Also I have no firewall blocking anything.

Anyone who has an ideas, help is very appreciated.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I think your first step is to use a trace utility that gives you a picture of where the problem is occurring. Ping PLotter or Visual Traceroute are 2 of those utilities.

»www.pingplotter.com/download.html

»www.visualroute.com/comparison.html

They both have several versions including a free version for non business use.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

officederamo

Pomona, NY

How can I determine the problem from using pingplotter?
I do see a 100% packet loss in the trace.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

You need to look for where the trace seems to stop/have problems. A hop that has 100% loss may simply be configured to not respond to a ttl of 1, so you need to observe what occurs after that hop. Are there lost packets after that hop, do the hops afterward appear to be receiving traffic and responding correctly. You can also try WinMTR which allows you to change packet size and see if that is a factor.

If the trace does not seem to have problems it could mean that an automatic update at one end of the connection changed something.

If you want, you can post the results and I am sure someone will help you but the main thing is where the trace appears to start losing packets based not on one hop but also the following hops.

»sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/?source=dlp
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

officederamo

Pomona, NY

Here is the result WinMTR.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 21 | 21 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 10.240.166.145 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 6 | 7 | 11 | 10 |
| 67.59.229.233 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 7 | 7 | 11 | 7 |
| rtr2.ge2-15.mhe.prnynj.cv.net - 0 | 24 | 24 | 9 | 11 | 13 | 9 |
| 64.15.2.69 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 11 | 12 | 15 | 14 |
| 64.15.0.214 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 11 | 12 | 14 | 11 |
| 72.14.211.53 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 11 | 22 | 66 | 13 |
| 72.14.239.46 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 11 | 24 | 146 | 61 |
| 209.85.252.250 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 11 | 13 | 16 | 11 |
| 72.14.239.93 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 16 | 19 | 22 | 22 |
| 209.85.243.114 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 27 | 33 | 77 | 47 |
| 216.239.48.159 - 0 | 24 | 24 | 27 | 29 | 34 | 32 |
| No response from host - 100 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| ve-in-f104.1e100.net - 0 | 24 | 24 | 26 | 28 | 33 | 28 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2

That looks fine to me - doesn't look like any packet loss.

Where are you seeing high packet loss?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to officederamo

Looks fine. It does not use a lot of bandwidth or CPU time, so you can try using it when connected and see if something shows up when you have a problem.
--

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to officederamo

40 - 50ms is not a high ping. Cablevision conisders anything over about 150ms high.

When you cannot connect to the office can the office access the web? Usually at businesses cablevision supplies a dumb router for the static ip. With my experience if that goes you would also have problems with the pc's behind it accessing the net.

What router do you run at the office?

officederamo

Pomona, NY

The cablevision router is a cisco router. I have a router (Netgear) for running a LAN in the office which uses one of the static IP addresses.
The PC's can connect to the Internet. But if I check whatismyip I see that the IP on my computer changes from the proper static IP to the IP for the LAN. Is that the source of the problem?

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

No, that is common - I see it with dyndns and whatismyip sometimes where it returns the local IP, but it does not cause any problems.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
reply to officederamo

Are you saying remotely that you cannot ping the static IPs? Can you ping the gateway?

officederamo

Pomona, NY

Of the five static IP's, one is solid and good, another is sporadic and the remaining three are pretty much unreachable. I have screen shots of pingplotter which I can post. Could the issue be that the network cards or wiring is a problem? Should I get those tested?

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

If you are able to ping one of the IPs or the gateway IP then it wouldn't be CV. It could either be physical issues if you're either losing connectivity from one of the computers in question or experiencing packet loss or latency), but more likely there's some sort of firewall or ACL that is not permitting responses to pings. These machines have static IPs I'm assuming?

When you mention being unable to connect to them, is that also a remote connection to them, or unable to connect online when you use them?

officederamo

Pomona, NY

Yes I have 5 static IPs. I am trying to connect via remote desktop connection. But I am testing each of the IP's, one is solid, one is mostly unavailable and three cannot be contacted at all.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

Have you tried to connect to the computers from within your office LAN? If you can get to one, then I can't think of anything that would stop you from getting to the others.

Are all computers connected directly to the CV router?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

The Cisco 851 is only a 4 port router, so there needs to be at least one switch or router connected.

CV doesn't block RDP, and you can say with 100% certainty that the request is approved through the modem & 851 since it works for one. If the ones not working all connect through the same router or switch, and the other is not (or connected with a DMZ through the router), you can find a common point of failure. If they are through separate routers/firewalls, I'd suggest checking the firewall on the computer when you try to connect, if possible, then check any router connected one step closer to the internet until you see it being rejected.

officederamo

Pomona, NY
reply to officederamo

Thanks for the replies and help, it is very appreciated.
I had the office wired using an ethernet splitter but most of the PC's are directly connected to the Optimum router. I am not sure exactly which piece of equipment is off the split.

Here is an even stranger issue. When I ping using pingplotter from home (Optimum as well) I get 100% packet loss on 2 PC's and I connect about 5% of the time on a 3rd.
But if I run pingplotter from an office PC it has a perfect response from every single PC with zero packets lost.

I finally used the router for my LAN (the 5th IP) to port forward to the PC that I use and I am connected perfectly.
I guess I will replace and test all the NIC's in each PC to see if that resolves the issue.

officederamo

Pomona, NY

I am not sure why or how but the problem has now completely resolved itself completely on its own. This morning smokeping shows as of 4:50am a perfect 29% packetloss.
Cablevision ...???!!!

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

said by officederamo:

Cablevision ...???!!!

Unlikely if some IPs work and others do not.
--

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to officederamo

What you can do to see if its cablevision or not is get a laptop and connect it directly to one of the ports of the cisco router.

Give it one of your other static ips. Then try to ping it from another network and try to access the net. IF you can then its not cablevision and would be on your end.

This is how I check cablevisions hardware to see if its their hardware or something of mine.

Tsat

@optonline.net

If you dont have ultra you should have them install the seperate modem and static router. Seems to be a lot of connectivity issues with combo unit.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to officederamo

said by officederamo:

I had the office wired using an ethernet splitter but most of the PC's are directly connected to the Optimum router.

What is an ethernet splitter? This may very well be the problem. You should have a hub or a switch at the minimum. unless that is what you mean by ethernet splitter.

said by officederamo:

Here is an even stranger issue. When I ping using pingplotter from home (Optimum as well) I get 100% packet loss on 2 PC's and I connect about 5% of the time on a 3rd.

Where does pingplotter show the loss occurs.
--

officederamo

Pomona, NY

The splitter is just where the electrician did the wiring so that we can access both WAN and LAN's. Splitter is probably the wrong term but I don't the technical term.

The IP's after about 7 hours have reverted to not responding. The last hop before the static IP is 67.59.229.234.

I am also an Optimum SIP truck customer and my network consultant is asking that dept for help too. We'll see what happens.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

Could you tell us a little more about your local network? Does each computer have a single network connection with one of your static IP addresses?
--

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to officederamo

said by officederamo:

The splitter is just where the electrician did the wiring so that we can access both WAN and LAN's. Splitter is probably the wrong term but I don't the technical term.

The IP's after about 7 hours have reverted to not responding. The last hop before the static IP is 67.59.229.234.

I am also an Optimum SIP truck customer and my network consultant is asking that dept for help too. We'll see what happens.

Ugh oh. The SIP product is deployed from a separate cable modem and SIP proxy box (commonly referred to as a Back-to-back user agent). How is your IP-PBX connected to that B2B box?

Under NO circumstances should you use a SHARED ethernet segment (= switch) between the LAN side of the DPQ3925 static-IP router and the LAN side of the IP-PBX/B2B-box, or even the LAN side behind your NAT router: You MUST keep that traffic truly separate+private - the risk of conflicting IP spaces and host IPs (between what your NAT'd network uses and what the IP-PBX and possibly your VOIP phones use) is just too great: This is beyond your skill level.

I am highly suspicious about your statements that "whatsmyip" (do you mean »www.whatsmyip.org/ ?) is showing you different IP addresses from the same machine at different times - at ALL times should it show you the same IP out of your pool of 5 statics. If it doesn't, your machines are clearly changing networks (more than one DHCP server in the same ethernet L2 space!), and you have some shared ethernet (layer-2!) connecting something improperly. However: I can't think of a scenario that would make whatsmyip to display anything but a publicly routed IP, ever - it should never ever be capable of displaying private RFC1918 addresses (192.168.x.x among others).

majortom1029

Lindenhurst, NY
reply to officederamo

Hmm . Why are all your pc's directly connected to the cisco dumb router ? I call it that because its not really a router. Just something cablevision uses to bind the ip's to.

You really should have a router after their cisco box. Just for some extra security.

officederamo

Pomona, NY

I know it has been quite awhile since I replied. Although my issue is not completely solved I can tell everyone that there is definitely a conflict with running two nics with one static and a second assigned a lan ip from a router.
On suggestion from Cablevision that helped some was to open the tcpip properties for the static IP, then click on advanced and then assign a value of 2 under the automatic metric.
I know little about this but apparently that will keep the static IP from working against the lan IP.
Hope it helps someone else with the issue.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

You may want to post in the networking forum for more help with your issue, since it does not seem to be related to Cablevision. It seems your issue is related to networking when a single computer is on 2 subnets.

Did Cablevision charge you for LAN support?
--

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
reply to officederamo

said by officederamo:

I know it has been quite awhile since I replied. Although my issue is not completely solved I can tell everyone that there is definitely a conflict with running two nics with one static and a second assigned a lan ip from a router.
On suggestion from Cablevision that helped some was to open the tcpip properties for the static IP, then click on advanced and then assign a value of 2 under the automatic metric.
I know little about this but apparently that will keep the static IP from working against the lan IP.
Hope it helps someone else with the issue.

Woah: That sounds like a single Windows(?) machine connected to 2 networks via 2 NICs, hence conflicting default routes. You can't do that, and the "metric =2" hack is obscuring the issue : this is not a valid configuration.

Run your windows machine's cmd.exe and type "netstat -rn" - if you see 2 default routes (0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0), you have an invalid configuration. A windows machine simply CANNOT work with competing default routes - it starts doing random wonky stuff: packets out one interface for one connection, out the other on the next. You MUST configure both NICs statically, and suppress the default route on one of the interfaces (don't ask me how to do that, it's a trivial task under Linux), presumably the local RFC1918 network - and DHCP is a non-starter here.

This has nothing to do with Cablevision providing inconsistent service, but everything with your local network setup being invalid.