All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
silentdeth
join:2013-01-25
Oxford, MS

silentdeth

DSL upload speed very slow, but download speed is fine?

I've been having trouble with my upload speed for the past few days. I ran a speed test »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6394.png and it is showing the same thing, my upload speed is very slow.
I attempted to upload a 1GB video to youtube last night and only completed 15% over the span of about 12 hours. This is an issue as I use earning from those videos to pay for my DSL.

Download speed is more or less normal, I am able to watch videos, and browse the web with only minor sluggishness, mostly related to (I'm assuming) thing that require data uploaded.

I've tried rebooting my modem, my computer, updating my modem's firmware, windows update, disabling my firewall, checking for viruses, malware, spyware, and anything else I could think of, to no avail.

I've tried calling customer support, but I have had this service since it was bellsouth and have no idea what my phone number is, since I don't actually have a normal phone, thus have never used it. Without that I haven't been able to get through the automated calling system to actually talk to someone.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by silentdeth:

I've tried calling customer support, but I have had this service since it was bellsouth and have no idea what my phone number is, since I don't actually have a normal phone, thus have never used it. Without that I haven't been able to get through the automated calling system to actually talk to someone.

Look on your bill, the phone number will be there (even if you have DSL Direct with no voice service as I did). Look at the top of the first page of the bill. I have attached an excerpt from one of my old DSL bills below to show you where to look; the first 10 digits of your account number are your phone number (scan left to right).

silentdeth
Oxford, MS

silentdeth

I signed up for paperless billing back when it was bellsouth. I only ever logged into my bellsouth email once, and never into my at&t one. I think the password is my phone number. Chicken meet egg.

specifics
@bellsouth.net

specifics to silentdeth

Anon

to silentdeth
Are you testing from multiple sites?
Can you post your modem stats?
What speed tier do you subscribe to?

The phone number for ATT DSL support is 888.321.2375
silentdeth
Oxford, MS

silentdeth

Yes I tested from multiple sites, and at multiple times, other times the upload test timed out.

Which modem stats in particular? Type of modem? Westell C90;
Statisitics?

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path
SN Margin (db)

19.5 Down

14.0 up

Line Attenuation (db)

32.5 down

15.0 up

CRC Errors

2 down

2 up

Line State Up
Modulation G.DMT Mode
Data Path Fast

Modem Diagnostics all return green/pass.

I have the 3.0 Mb plan I believe.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer to silentdeth

Premium Member

to silentdeth
said by silentdeth:

I signed up for paperless billing back when it was bellsouth. I only ever logged into my bellsouth email once, and never into my at&t one. I think the password is my phone number. Chicken meet egg.

I also had paperless billing. The image I posted was from a PDF file, not a scan of a paper bill. I obtained the PDF file from the same AT&T/BellSouth billing site where I signed up for the paperless billing, and from where I paid the bill each month (email had nothing to do with it...the username and password to access the billing account was in no way related to any of my AT&T or BellSouth email accounts).

Keeping up with your business accounts is your responsibility; would you prefer that AT&T simply allowed anyone calling them to gain control of your account? Simply providing your correct name and address along with either the last 4 digits of your SSN, or the answer to a security question (that you previously provided), should allow any CSR (just keep pressing the "0" button on your phone to force your way out of the menu system) to access your account for troubleshooting purposes (although they may need to transfer you to AT&T billing for the verification process since tech support CSRs don't necessarily have access to those details). And FWIW, once you are on the phone with a CSR who has access to your account, you might want to ask for your phone number and PIN.

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" might also apply here.

soecifics
@bellsouth.net

soecifics to silentdeth

Anon

to silentdeth
Stats look good although I've never seen upstream SNR that is lower than the downstream. Typically the downstream will have more noise than upstream, in your case it's the opposite. The 3MB plan offers 512 upload,...make sure the modem is syncing at that rate on the upstream.

Also,..have you tested from other machines or just one?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by soecifics :

Stats look good although I've never seen upstream SNR that is lower than the downstream. Typically the downstream will have more noise than upstream, in your case it's the opposite. The 3MB plan offers 512 upload,...make sure the modem is syncing at that rate on the upstream.

Actually, I used to see it both ways in my 3bmps circuits, so it is not unheard of.

dcs-gwm> show dsl all

ADSL Line State:        Up
ADSL Startup Attempts:  1
ADSL Modulation:        DMT
ADSL Data Path:         Fast
CO vendor:              ALCB
Power Management State  L0
Datapump Version:       DSP 7.2.3.0, HAL 7.2.1.0

Downstream  Upstream
                        ----------  ----------
SNR Margin:                  11.00       13.00 dB
Line Attenuation:            49.50       31.00 dB
Output Power:                17.92       11.15 dBm
Errored Seconds:                 0           0
Loss of Signal:                  0           0
Loss of Frame:                   0           0
CRC Errors:                     49           1
Data Rate:                    3552         384

dcs-gwm> show atm all

ATM port status    : Up
Rx data rate (bps) : 3552
Tx data rate (bps) : 384

------------------------------------------------------

dcs-gwn> show dsl all

ADSL Modulation:        ADSL2
ADSL Data Path:         Fast
CO vendor:              BDCM
Power Management State  L0
Datapump Version:       DSP 7.2.3.0, HAL 7.2.1.0

Downstream  Upstream
                        ----------  ----------
SNR Margin:                  14.00       13.00 dB
Line Attenuation:            43.80       28.00 dB
Output Power:                16.46        4.38 dBm
Errored Seconds:                 4           0
CRC Errors:                      4          18
Data Rate:                    3547         383

dcs-gwn> show atm all

Rx data rate (bps) : 3547
Tx data rate (bps) : 383

I guess that the upstream 512kbps is something very new. I know that upstream 512kbps used to be standard in the legacy SBC areas, but it has always been 384kbps upstream here in the legacy BellSouth area. In fact, my backup AT&T 3mbps circuit currently does not have 512kbps upstream(but it does have a larger downstream SN Margin).

Netopia-3000> show dsl all

ADSL Modulation:        ADSL2
ADSL Data Path:         Interleave
Datapump Version:       DSP 5.2.2.0, HAL 5.2.2.0

Downstream  Upstream
                        ----------  ----------
SNR Margin:                  13.00        9.20 dB
Line Attenuation:            46.00       30.00 dB
Output Power:                17.07       10.42 dB
Errored Seconds:                 0           0
CRC Errors:                   2896          34
Data Rate:                    3549         376

Netopia-3000> show atm all

Rx data rate (bps) : 3549
Tx data rate (bps) : 376

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The sync rates have always been different.....

Att uses 3008/512 in all regions except bellsouth

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

The sync rates have always been different.....

Att uses 3008/512 in all regions except bellsouth

Yes, all of us second class customers are painfully aware of that. Plus the fact that even though they may have left the downstream sync rate at the BellSouth ~3552kbps value, they have throttled it with rate limiting to ~3008kbps (because it would not be fair to allow legacy BellSouth customers to get faster downstream speeds).

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

"all of us second class customers"
Are you with att again??

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

"all of us second class customers"
Are you with att again??

I am not directly paying for it (the apartment management is doing that), but I still use an AT&T 3mbps DSL circuit as a backup (and external testing connection). The last set of stats (labeled Netopia-3000) in the post to which you originally replied were from the Netopia 3347 used by that connection. I have admin access to the router because I maintain the apartment office network.

FWIW, I am still an AT&T Mobilty customer; AT&T hasn't managed to totally screw up my cell phone service (yet).