join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

[DISH] Returning to Dish from DirecTV ...

It's been a long time since moving from Dish to DirecTV. Unfortunately DirecTV has canceled my previously grandfathered program package which bundled HD and DVR at a lower rate than the unbundled plans and our cost was going to go up. 3 channels we watch were removed from the new plan. Getting them back would cost about $140 for 4 DVR's.

The DirecTV retention department offered to discount my monthly bill by $10 for 12 months, or $20 a month for 12 months if I agreed to a 24 month lock in.

Dish is offering me 2 unannounced hoppers with integrated slings and 6 Joey's. That lets me run 8 sets, with sling.

After the new subscriber discounts are expired in 12 to 13 months, I'll have about the same bill as from DirecTV, but will supposedly have 8 HD receivers (2 Hoppers with integrated slings at no extra cost and 6 Joeys). DirecTV provided 4 DVR's.

The lease cost on a Joey is $99, but the purchase cost is also $99. The first 6 devices on my account are lease only, the last 2 Joey's are $99 to purchase (the same as lease).

Each Hopper will have 3 Joey's attached within the home.

I hope the Hopper and Joey system works, reviews seem to vary considerably.

DirecTV was adamant about not providing a hardware upgrade to my existing leased sets.

The inability of either of these companies to treat existing customers well is annoying. The greatest leverage a customer has is when signing up as a new account.

After I really cancel and return my DVR's, I have no doubt DirecTV will try to make the offers they should have before I committed to Dish.

Sigh
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

I had a similar experience with D*. After 12 years with D* I wanted to reduce my cost. D* did not offer me squat and just let me walk out the door two months ago.

I keep getting e-mails from D* asking me to come back, but the offers are a joke.

So, I went to Dish .... what a mistake. The equipment (Hopper and Joey) are a joke. They are riddled with problems and Dish just gives you lip service. I had to swap out the Hopper after one month by myself. Dish would not send out a tech to do it. "Just plug the wires in the new Hopper". I have the protection plan and they wanted to charge me $15 for a tech to install it. Swapping out the Hopper is not that easy. I finally got it going by doing a lot of Google reading to see how to do it.

Be prepared to have your total system shut down every night at 0100 for guide loading and software updates.

Go over to the Dish forum (on the Dish site) and read some of the issues that folks are having.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to pandora

Stay with DirecTV. I have had both and DirecTV is way better.

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
Reviews:
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV

I recently switched from Directv to DISH. The primary reason was that my contract expired and I was looking to save some money. I had Directv for 6 years. I am saving about $50/month for the first year then back up to the cost that I was paying Directv for the second year. Directv wasn't willing to negotiate prior to the switch, but I had plenty of good offers (akin to new customer offers) in the few days after I cancelled Directv. I am happy that I switched - the Hopper/Joey combination is very good, the programming is very good, and I get to enjoy new subscriber perks like free HBO, Cinemax, Movie Channel, Showtime. I have the Hopper with Sling so can watch live tv or my DVR'd shows anywhere there is a computer or on my phone.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Irish Shark

The update time on Dish can be set to whatever time you want and if you are watching at the time it can be skipped.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Irish Shark

quote:
Go over to the Dish forum (on the Dish site) and read some of the issues that folks are having.
I know I don't have any - lost the signal in last weeks snowstorm (first time for snow to take it out) but other than that - no issues. As noted the guide time can be changed and it can be prevented if it is being watched.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to pandora

I have had both Dish and Dish Network and I prefer Dish.

I have had Dish for many years without any issues. The 722 receiver was great, it lasted many years, but recently up and died. I upgraded to a Hopper/Joey setup and could not be happier. It does have a couple minor quirks, but overall it is one of the best setups I have ever used.

The primetime anytime feature works great, but I don't watch that much network TV. It auto skips commercials if you record with this feature.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by neonturbo:

I have had both Dish and Dish Network and I prefer Dish.

I have had Dish for many years without any issues. The 722 receiver was great, it lasted many years, but recently up and died. I upgraded to a Hopper/Joey setup and could not be happier. It does have a couple minor quirks, but overall it is one of the best setups I have ever used.

The primetime anytime feature works great, but I don't watch that much network TV. It auto skips commercials if you record with this feature.

Whats the difference between "Dish" and "Dish Network"?
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

The update time on Dish can be set to whatever time you want and if you are watching at the time it can be skipped.

Not if you have a Hopper.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

quote:
I know I don't have any - lost the signal in last weeks snowstorm (first time for snow to take it out) but other than that - no issues. As noted the guide time can be changed and it can be prevented if it is being watched.

Watching a show will not prevent the SW update.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

On the rare occasion I was up - the system told me it was going offline for the update and I could cancel it to continue watching.

Maybe different with the Hopper but somehow I doubt it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Irish Shark

said by Irish Shark:

Watching a show will not prevent the SW update.

If you do nothing, no, it won't prevent the update, but it does give you the prompt to postpone it. I told it no twice a few nights ago and the following morning, the Hopper (and Joey, I presume) had updated s/w. I'm guessing it asked again after we went to bed, wasn't told "no" this time, and pushed it.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to CylonRed

That is correct. But just watching a show will not stop the SW update. You have to alert and quick and click on the warning. The default is "OK do it now".
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Total non-issue.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to pandora

I have been a dish customer for 12 or more years after leaving Directv after split company billing issues that they had back in the 90's. Last March I moved to where cable was available and just moved back to the sticks of Oklahoma and after a carefull review of both satellite companies, went back to Dish because it was by far the better deal. I had my first hopper and Joey installed and the installers had a time getting the hopper to recognize the Joey they hooked up so after an hour of fooling with it they finally tried another Joey and the issue went away and not a single glitch after that to this day.

Also if you have a capped internet connection like Hughesnet or Exede or one of the cell companies then you will read dozens of reviews complaining that Directv eats their usage up in a few hours where dish does not. I don't know what the difference is there but I suspect that some of Directv's on demand content is streamed to and recorded from the internet connection where dish does theirs from it's own satellite stream but I don't know for sure. I do know that the Hopper does use some data from my internet connection but it's use is pretty light and doesn't come close to affecting my data usage in any serious way. Those are the reasons I chose Dish over Directv.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

You may want to check into the Dish On-Demand not eating up internet bandwidth. I'm not 100% sure, since I think Dish on-demand stinks and I haven't used it, but I'm fairly certain that Dish On-Demand requires internet bandwidth.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to pandora

Stay with DirecTV, much better customer service.

My experience with Dish was not a good one, I kicked them to the curb after three months in 2005. They have horrible customer service and their equipment is riddled with bugs.

I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010 and I had a good experience. Comcast offered me TV, phone, and Internet for a good price but they're customer service is bad so I'm kicking them to the curb except for Internet (as they're the only choice besides DSL). I'm going with a phone/DirecTV offer through Verizon but getting Internet through Comcast.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Badonkadonk

Dish's "on demand" stuff is a cluster****. Some comes in via satellite, some comes in via broadband.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Stay with DirecTV, much better customer service.

My experience with Dish was not a good one, I kicked them to the curb after three months in 2005. They have horrible customer service and their equipment is riddled with bugs.

I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010 and I had a good experience. Comcast offered me TV, phone, and Internet for a good price but they're customer service is bad so I'm kicking them to the curb except for Internet (as they're the only choice besides DSL). I'm going with a phone/DirecTV offer through Verizon but getting Internet through Comcast.

2005? And you're commenting on them in 2013? So in other words, you have no idea about their equipment. That's like me saying Apple stuff stinks--last time I looked at their stuff in 2005, they didn't even have touch screens or internet connectivity. Worthless.

I'm going on exactly three months with Dish in 2013 and it's been mostly trouble free so far. There's been once when a hopper had to be reset and once when a joey had to be reset. Other than that, it's been problem free.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Always take positive or negative "reviews" with a grain of salt. In this case, he was nice enough to give his reason(s), however antiquated they might be.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

True. I think poster history got to me.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Badonkadonk

The same can be said today, there is an article that said that DirecTV has a better reputation for customer service.

»www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/dir···ork.html

Dish may have improved their customer service, but they tried claiming that I was locked into a contract when the promotion I took advertised no commitment. I went back to Comcast (which is expensive) but then tried DirecTV about a year later and had them from 2006 to 2010 then went back to Comcast on a promotion. Now I went back to DirecTV this past Friday.

I have good things to say about DirecTV and my mother had someone on one of her forums who was mad at her cable provider and my mother recommended DirecTV.

As for Comcast, I'm taking two buses in each direction tomorrow to return my receivers at their office. I'm keeping them for Internet only.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Expand your moderator at work

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [DISH] Returning to Dish from DirecTV ...

said by IowaCowboy:

The same can be said today, there is an article that said that DirecTV has a better reputation for customer service.

»www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/dir···ork.html

Dish may have improved their customer service, but they tried claiming that I was locked into a contract when the promotion I took advertised no commitment. I went back to Comcast (which is expensive) but then tried DirecTV about a year later and had them from 2006 to 2010 then went back to Comcast on a promotion. Now I went back to DirecTV this past Friday.

I have good things to say about DirecTV and my mother had someone on one of her forums who was mad at her cable provider and my mother recommended DirecTV.

As for Comcast, I'm taking two buses in each direction tomorrow to return my receivers at their office. I'm keeping them for Internet only.

You do realize that changes all the time, and it really matters who you talk to, right? If you get a CSR that doesn’t give a shit about his or her job, you’re going to have a lousy customer service experience, if you have talk to a CSR that cares, you’ll have a better experience. Like in all workplaces you have people that care and those that do not. To make that sort of conclusion that one is better than the other is reckless and stupid, when for every 100 people I can find that have had great DirecTV customer service experiences, I can find 100 that did not.

I am no fan of either one of these two companies, and I hate Dish more and think they’re the scum of the earth, but Dish has won their fair share of customer service awards. If you want to bring up your personal ancient history, I’ll bring up some ancient history of when good ole’ Cheap Chuckie would parade his JD Powers trophies for Customer Service Excellence on his Monthly Gospel Hour (aka Charlie Chat).

You used the example of Dish claiming you were under contract when you weren’t, and that is your whole basis for saying Dish has worse customer service??? Not everyone is you, not everyone has the same experiences or will have the same experiences as you. DirecTV flat out lied to me three times when I canceled my service with them in 2006 when I went back to TWC. First they told me they carried my locals in HD, which they did not, after calling them on that they told me I could get locals in HD out of NYC, which I know for a fact was false since I don’t qualify for distants, and then they told me they carried the now defunct iNHD and iNHD 2 channels, which were exclusive to cable, I asked them if they were so sure that DirecTV carried them, what channel numbers could they be found on, but was never given an answer.

That’s my experience with them. I don’t do stupid reckless shit like post on the internet that DirecTV is a bunch of scumbag liars, which they were to me. Point is, you experience with Dish is not universal to others and my experience with DirecTV is not universal either. And 6 years later I have DirecTV subscription again..
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!